Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can the next films change the public's perception of Spider-Man?

Right now, there's a lull in casting rumors about the next film Peter Parker. It's a big decision since whoever Sony and Marvel cast is probably going to be in more films than Maguire or Garfield (maybe even combined), just due to likely appearances in the MCU films.

What is the potential effect on the public's perception of the character?

If they go with someone under twenty, I think it might cement the idea that Peter Parker is a much younger character than most other superheroes. I get that Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man kicked off with Peter Parker in high school, but in both films he was played by a guy in his late twenties.

They could also bring back Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield and kill them off to replace them with Miles Morales (an unlikely possibility but if it happens, I want to say I called it) which might cement that in the public's imagination as the likely end of Spider-Man's story.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

Marvel Studios has brand recognition unlike Spider-Man's, so I think it will be much more favourably looked at. Even if they go the teenage route.

Since each Spider-Man film had the Marvel moniker up front, they basically are Marvel films in people's minds, I would think. The average movie-goer is not going to make those kind of fine distinctions.

Good question! I think the answer is yes.

Even if much of what makes Spidey great remains the same, I think the films can definitely impact how elements of the mythos are perceived by the public. Fans of the Rami films would probably say that Mary Jane is Spider-Man’s main love interest; (some) fans of the Webb films might identify Gwen in that same role. So whatever qualities of Peter the new movies emphasize in terms of humor, science, morality, could become ingrained in how the general public perceives the character.

Age, however—the specific thing the OP listed—might actually have another effect aside from making youthfulness seen as part of the character. If audiences witness the actor grow and mature from a teenager into a young adult over the course of these films (which is likely to happen if Spider-Man is featured in as many MCU films as the OP suggests), they might associate Peter Parker with character development and personal growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Since each Spider-Man film had the Marvel moniker up front, they basically are Marvel films in people's minds, I would think. The average movie-goer is not going to make those kind of fine distinctions.
    The official status won't matter as much as quality and box office.

If there are five films with an actor under 25 playing Peter Parker in high school (which is certainly possible if you factor in Captain America 3, and the two parts of Infinity War) film audiences will be exposed to a lot of content with a rather young Spider-Man. That could alter the perception of the character, who had at least been a college student in most adaptations.

Granted, if the films show Peter Parker progressing over the course of a decade, there might be a different impression of the character as a hero who grows up and keeps having adventures (The Raimi and Webb films aimed for this, but stumbled in latter efforts.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Seems it's been confirmed that it'll a teenage Peter Parker in high school.

Might be a bad move.

Beyond the general unwieldyness of the Webb movies, people were complaining about doing the same things that had just been done in the Raimi movies. And not just the origin.

I just hope this gives them a chance to nail Peter's high school days down and clear up the misconception that he was either 1) always a nerd, or 2) always a hipster skateboarder.

They need to show his progression from shy and nerdy, to slowly gaining confidence, taunting back at Flash and outwiting him, and letting his humor and assertiveness from being Spidey take over his Peter Parker side.

THEN it will be realistic when you see girls like Gwen and MJ take interest in him later on. Maybe people will finally get it.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 04-11-2015 at 11:40 AM.

BANNED

To be fair, most of the MCU heroes are older. So Peter being a teen is a nice contrast to the current crop.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Seems it's been confirmed that it'll a teenage Peter Parker in high school.
    Yep.

http://collider.com/spider-man-kevin...n-high-school/

I am a bit surprised that casting announcements are slow in coming. Though it may be that they don't want to interfere with the Avengers 2 rollout, or maybe it's a cameo there.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

The actor will age a couple years between now, when the Spider-Man movie actually comes out, and Infinity War. If the new Spider-Man debuts in Civil War, then add another year for the actor to age. Not to mention that, should there be more movies after Infinity War, regardless of whether or not it's a Spider-Man movie, the character and the actor will age even further.

I enjoyed the younger take on Spider-Man that they were going for in the ASM movies, but the problem is that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone both look too old to be in high school. I'd love to see them find someone who actually is 15 or 16 to play the part.

It would be cool if they did the majority of the origin story in Civil War so the movie doesn't have to do the basic set-up again.
    So the 2017 has an Peter Parker who has Spider-Man but isn't experienced at any level.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The official status won't matter as much as quality and box office.
    Yah, exactly.

If there are five films with an actor under 25 playing Peter Parker in high school (which is certainly possible if you factor in Captain America 3, and the two parts of Infinity War) film audiences will be exposed to a lot of content with a rather young Spider-Man. That could alter the perception of the character, who had at least been a college student in most adaptations.

Granted, if the films show Peter Parker progressing over the course of a decade, there might be a different impression of the character as a hero who grows up and keeps having adventures (The Raimi and Webb films aimed for this, but stumbled in latter efforts.)
    One thing Marvel has done right with Spider-Man is to keep him young, or at least young at heart. Even old man Peter in Reign acted kind of young once he donned the costume, even though he was clearly decrepit in other scenes. So its ok with me if they keep him perpetually young, as I think its important for the character to work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I enjoyed the younger take on Spider-Man that they were going for in the ASM movies, but the problem is that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone both look too old to be in high school. I'd love to see them find someone who actually is 15 or 16 to play the part.
    I think part of the problem is that child actors can only work so many hours a day. That's why they use people who are legal age but can -- sometimes barely, admittedly -- pass for young.