• Spider Woman

11 33.33%
  • Spider Gwen

7 21.21%
  • Silk

11 33.33%

Default Best female led Spider Title

Hi

Wanted to ask if you follow any of the female led spider titles and which is the best one

Calling Black Widow a 'Spider title' is a bit of a stretch...

Of the other three, I buy them all, but I'm not a regular Spider-Man reader, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Silk seems to be the one most deeply enmeshed in ongoing Spider-Man plots and mythology. I was onboard with the original anime-influenced art, but the new artist kinda leaves me cold. I think this book would appeal to the more committed and traditional Spider-Man fan.

Spider-Gwen is, to me, the book that feels most like a comic that can stand on its own, and not just because it's set off in its own little universe. The amount of detailed world building, and cool alternate takes on familiar characters, makes each issue feel fresh and engaging. It's also managed to really make me feel for the characters in such a relatively short run. Surprisingly, it doesn't play off long-established Spider-Man trivia, which is great for a reader like me. Some people don't like the art because it's a bit exaggerated and the colouring is flamboyant, but whatever... can't please everybody. Best recommended for fans of other teen books like Ms Marvel.

Spider-Woman on the other hand is just next-level funny and funky. The art straddles that line between traditional comic-booky and the new 'indie-style' with believable action, great facial expressions and inventive layouts. The writing is by turns hilarious, bittersweet and serious. Just when you think you know where the plot is going, there's a new crazy twist. I hadn't read much with Jessica before, but now she's a favourite character. Admittedly, the series leans a little heavily on the whole post-Fraction Hawkeye style 'neurotic loser hero' trope. If you enjoyed series like Hawkeye and Superior Foes Of Spider-Man, you should enjoy this.

Spider-Woman easily. Cow tools bails it pretty well. But I wouldn't call her a loser...especially in her most recent issues.

Jess is amazing.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    But I wouldn't call her a loser.
    Oh me neither. But she kinda thinks of herself that way. Like when she sees Gwen's Taylor Swift vinyl and she says "And I thought my life was a landfill!" or when natasha calls her new direction her "Mid-life crisis P.I. fantasy." I find it ads a touch of warmth to the book.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Currently I'd say Silk, although I haven't read Black Widow, and don't consider it a spider-book.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

Ahh gotcha. And yes in that sense I would agree.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I don't consider Black Widow a spider book in anyway. Of the ones left, Spider-Woman easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Calling Black Widow a 'Spider title' is a bit of a stretch...

Of the other three, I buy them all, but I'm not a regular Spider-Man reader, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Silk seems to be the one most deeply enmeshed in ongoing Spider-Man plots and mythology. I was onboard with the original anime-influenced art, but the new artist kinda leaves me cold. I think this book would appeal to the more committed and traditional Spider-Man fan.

Spider-Gwen is, to me, the book that feels most like a comic that can stand on its own, and not just because it's set off in its own little universe. The amount of detailed world building, and cool alternate takes on familiar characters, makes each issue feel fresh and engaging. It's also managed to really make me feel for the characters in such a relatively short run. Surprisingly, it doesn't play off long-established Spider-Man trivia, which is great for a reader like me. Some people don't like the art because it's a bit exaggerated and the colouring is flamboyant, but whatever... can't please everybody. Best recommended for fans of other teen books like Ms Marvel.

Spider-Woman on the other hand is just next-level funny and funky. The art straddles that line between traditional comic-booky and the new 'indie-style' with believable action, great facial expressions and inventive layouts. The writing is by turns hilarious, bittersweet and serious. Just when you think you know where the plot is going, there's a new crazy twist. I hadn't read much with Jessica before, but now she's a favourite character. Admittedly, the series leans a little heavily on the whole post-Fraction Hawkeye style 'neurotic loser hero' trope. If you enjoyed series like Hawkeye and Superior Foes Of Spider-Man, you should enjoy this.
    This has been pretty much the main problem with Silk for me. I enjoyed the pre-Secret Wars run so much but this new run. Well let's just say I wouldn't have thought that Stacy Lees art was such a big part of the enjoyment.

This

against this

was sadly not a good trade at all

To answer the topic. Black Widow is my favorite of all these but it's not a spider-book. Don't know how and why people come to that conclusion.

From the others it's between Spider-Gwen and Spider-Woman. Leaning towards Spider-Gwen more though. I mean in the end Jessica Drew has less to do with the spider-side of things than the others. The first arc had nothing to do with it in fact.
    Last edited by Galerion; 05-02-2016 at 10:55 AM.
    "This is me being reasonable"

I'll go with Spider Gwen.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

I'm reading the Spiderwomen arc with the intent to pick up one of the titles ongoing. So far, I'm leaning toward Silk, but a lot of that was the artist, Tana Ford. Is that not the regular series artist?

For the record, I'm liking all three characters. I like Gwen for the multi-verse feel...reminds me of original Ultimate Spiderman. Spiderwoman has good characterizations, but I've just never been clear on her powers and affiliations. I'm also not really digging the Joelle Jones art, but I might come back for Rodriguez.
    Last edited by keeen; 05-02-2016 at 06:20 PM.

I am a huge Jessica Drew fan so Spider-Woman will be always my first option in this poll-

Spider-Gwen, I read only the first volume, but I like it.

Silk is meh for me.

Black Widow is not a Spider Title for me.

Astonishing Member

Spider-Gwen.

Niffleheim

Silk is it for me. I've yet to sit down and read Spider-Woman. Outrageously not a fan of Spider-Gwen.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

BANNED

Gotta give it to Silk. All around it's the best read for me. Spider-Gwen's art really hurts my eyes sometimes but I do like her character.

Spider-Woman is blah. So, so very blah.

Spider-Gwen might be OK, but whilst you could pay me to look at that art (and I really wouldn't charge much!), I wouldn't hand over my own cash to endure it.

Silk started with good art and then, as demonstrated above, took a turn for the ugh. Not that the art really matters in this case because Fauxlicia Hardy renders this book non-purchasable.

Which only leaves Black Widow. And whilst she isn't really a Spider character beyond her name, her book is clearly the best of the bunch.