View Poll Results: Should Gwen Stacy appears in MCU Spider-Man franchise?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 45.59%
  • No

21 30.88%
  • Whatever

16 23.53%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

That, and I don't think they could work in an accurate Black Cat in live-action during Peter's high school years with such a younger Spidey. Unless they went in the same direction Ultimate took their relationship...

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Saga View Post
    Venom wasn't created by Stan Lee and he appears in Spider-Man 3. Why doesn't Marvel use Spidey's characters that wasn't created by Satan Lee?
    I said love interest. And Venom isn't a love interest (unless you're into that sort of thing. )

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That, and I don't think they could work in an accurate Black Cat in live-action during Peter's high school years with such a younger Spidey. Unless they went in the same direction Ultimate took their relationship...
    I could see them doing that as a joke. But Marvel isn't going to depict a relationship between a 15/16 year old boy and a twenty-something year old woman.

BANNED

At this point, MJ and Gwen are stock character made to make Peter look good as a stand in for hot girlfriend fantasies, their existence is 50/50 on which the creator decides to use more over the other as Peter's love interest, they don't play a principle part in telling Spidey's adventures but more than usual enhance the experience. It allcomes down to who the director/writer/producer wants based on personal preference and who they like. We most likely not see MJ or Gwen this time around(maybe a new love interest or heck a existing Spider-Man character that dated Peter in the comics) since they have been done and Spider-Man movies IMO are like the Zelda timelines are different takes of the protagonists basis and story with a new context and atmosphere.

I think an interesting angle for this film would be for Spider-Man to have two potential love interests. In his civilian high school life, he can be involved with MJ or Betty Ross, and in his Spider-Man hero life, he can be involved with Cat. It would make an interesting contrast between his two opposite lifestyles, like they have done numerous times in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's not going to be Black Cat. They aren't going to prioritize a love interest who wasn't created by Stan.
    While I agree that most of Lee's love interests are the ideal ones, why though do you think it's mandatory for the love interest in this film to be a Lee creation?

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I think an interesting angle for this film would be for Spider-Man to have two potential love interests. In his civilian high school life, he can be involved with MJ or Betty Ross, and in his Spider-Man hero life, he can be involved with Cat. It would make an interesting contrast between his two opposite lifestyles, like they have done numerous times in the comics.
    Betty Ross? Nobody tell Hulk about that.

While I agree that most of Lee's love interests are the ideal ones, why though do you think it's mandatory for the love interest in this film to be a Lee creation?
    I think Stan's characters are the most well known to the casual fan. How many people actually remember an April Maye or an Amy Powell?

I think Stan's characters are the most well known to the casual fan. How many people actually remember an April Maye or an Amy Powell?
    I remember Black Cat, Debra Whitman and Carlie Cooper. Were they created by Stan Lee?

I remember Black Cat, Debra Whitman and Carlie Cooper. Were they created by Stan Lee?
    You're posting on an internet message board. You'd hardly be called a "casual fan."

I think Black Cat, despite not being created by Stan, is one of the few characters who is almost or just as iconic as the characters he created, if only because of all the focus and attentions she's been given.

She's at least one of Spider-Man's more iconic love interests, alongside MJ and Gwen.

I think Black Cat, despite not being created by Stan, is one of the few characters who is almost or just as iconic as the characters he created, if only because of all the focus and attentions she's been given.

She's at least one of Spider-Man's more iconic love interests, alongside MJ and Gwen.
    Black Cat hits a certain niche, that of a costumed character interested in Spider-Man, and coming from Spidey's world. But she has some pretty big drawbacks. The biggest of which is she comes across as a Catwoman stand-in. (And I know Felicia fans absolutely HATE that comparison and will rush to point out the differences, but that doesn't change the perception that she's a costumed burglar with a cat motif who is interested in our unappealing animal themed superhero.)

Venom wasn't created by Stan Lee and he appears in Spider-Man 3. Why doesn't Marvel use Spidey's characters that wasn't created by Satan Lee?
    I knew it. That explains Mephisto's interest in Peter and MJ. This is my favorite typo ever.

But seriously, I think Black Cat could theoretically work, if Feige really wanted to do something different by using a brand-new love interest. But Cat would need to be a girl closer to Peter's age. Maybe they could both attend the same school in their civilian identities and strike up a relationship/friendship there, in contrast with their initial antagonism in their super heroic identities--but that might be too close to Batman Returns. It would certainly be distinct than what came before, since TASM2 couldn't decide whether or not to commit to the character or not, besides giving Harry's assistant the first name Felicia.

Spectacular Member

Gwen Stacey, as in the normal human. I guess, sure why not. Just be sure to use her differently than ASM did since you can't beat Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield's chemistry.

Spider-gwen? As in the exact same version of her in her comics? No, Neigh, heck no. Why? She's had barely a mediocre ongoing run, so why bother? There's nothing worth adapting save a cool custume, but a big risk of not being as good a Gwen as Emma Stone (who had great chemistry with her Peter). Her only good issue involves Peter Parker being dead and talking with Aunt May (which the Ultimate Universe did already), which the MCU wont be doing... her best villain in her solo comic is Daredevil who cant be her villain in the MCU.

Spider-Gwen as in a highly adapted version... maybe. Depends how they write her obviously. The fastest way would be to dump the alt universe greaving over Peter (everything that makes her unique in the comics save her costume, that really anyone could wear... but I digress) and go either Peter recreates the Spider bite for his girlfriend (which sucks since I prefer MJ in 616 by miles, but back to hypocritically speaking) or they steal from Silk and reveal she got bit on the same field trip thus figured out who Peter is and what he's been doing and chooses to help him.

Or the most loyal way to her comic character, wait for a Spider-Verse based movie sometime after Civil War and Spider-Man 1 (which should focus on Peter's plight not Spider-Verse). This would also give her her best villains so far, the Inheritators. Just of course skip the whole her returning to her universe stuff since her universe isn't really MCU material and keep her in the MCU, maybe even allude to the MCU's Gwen being dead and the complications that brings.

Personally though, minus the cool costume, I think she's a highly overrated character, at least as she's been written thus far, and would prefer half a dozen other female superhero allies (in fairness they have a ton more history vs Gwen whos arguably easier for a movie writter to freely adapt). Look I love Gwen, especially in the Ultimate Universe (where I like her more than MJ), but Spider-Gwen as a comic character has just barely been escaping getting cut from my subscription box. It's sad when the most interesting thing about a character who had a great one-shot intro is there surrounding characters (Castle & Murdock, rest kinda meh) they get an ongoing. That said, if done right, I see her potential... just at the moment a no.
    Last edited by LordRyus; 08-22-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    Current Pull List (updated for ANAD): Star Wars □ Darth Vader □ Lando □ Chewbacca □ Kanan □ uh... alot of ANAD but I still have decided what yet, lol

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    Now if they really want to capture that shock factor and unforeseen tragedy feeling and sprint created by the 616 Death of Gwen Stacy then... "Death of MJ MCU". Fans will not see that coming and take them by surprise and to the core if done well.

I like this idea.

There's no way in hell Marvel Studios are going to hit the same beats the first Spider-Man trilogy already hit, or what Spectacular did for that matter. They're going to do the best they can to subvert expectations, so any "but it happens in the comics!11" bets are off.

There was a Guardians Of The Galaxy film. The whole argument about using whoever is most well known to the casual fans is way beyond moot now.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Mighty Member

They could introduce a new love interest like the Nolan Batman films, instead of wasting Mary Jane. However, killing off Peter's love would most certainly qualify as "hitting the same beat" regardless of who it is done with. Just as readapting Spidey's origin in TASM was largely seen as a retread, even though they changed the details and used a different love interest. They should be (and probably are) looking to tell new/fresh stories as opposed to subverting expectations.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 08-25-2015 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    I like this idea.

There's no way in hell Marvel Studios are going to hit the same beats the first Spider-Man trilogy already hit, or what Spectacular did for that matter. They're going to do the best they can to subvert expectations, so any "but it happens in the comics!11" bets are off.
    I don't think they're going to do their best to subvert expectations, so much as they're going to do their best to do a proper and successful Spider-Man movie that's true to the character. I doubt Feige would want it otherwise considering how much he seems to care about Spidey from interviews.

Well of course they'll do the character justice as much as they can, but unfortunately on some things they don't have much choice. People won't sit through a third telling of the same old origin story. I expect an Incredible Hulk-esque sequence touching on it, at best.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«