Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)

Hi all.

This week I found out that DC has made a movie of the acclaimed Alan Moore comic Batman: The Killing Joke.

It got rated R this week and I'm excited to see it. DVD only though. No movie houses. Kevin Conroy is the voice of Bruce Wayne and Mark Hamill is the Joker. Both reprising their rolls they played in Batman: The Animated Series.

What are your thoughts?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

It will never compare to the comic or Mask of the Phantasm, but Conroy, Hamill, and R-Rating will cause even me to give it a watch at some point.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Excited only because I will finally hear Conroy Batman say something other than "come with me", "answer me", "I'll stop you", "where is he Joker!"

Lol. I think it's gonna be good. Hamill captures the Joker. Pity he isn't young enough to do it now with all the comic book movies. No actor has ever captured the insanity that the DC guys made the Joker. Except Hamill. You guys must admit that if a Leto or Nicholson etc managed to get that maniacal high pitched insane laugh right, it'd send chills down the spines of movie goers. They can only capture fragments of him. Hamill captures it all, just not young enough to be on screen.

I feel satisfied
    kinda like ¨this the one that was missing¨
    and now is done and done by the people who should have done it specially Hamill, Hamill can now never voice the Joker again in his entire life and i would feel like he completed what he needed to do with the role thanks to the movie.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Lol. I think it's gonna be good. Hamill captures the Joker. Pity he isn't young enough to do it now with all the comic book movies. No actor has ever captured the insanity that the DC guys made the Joker. Except Hamill. You guys must admit that if a Leto or Nicholson etc managed to get that maniacal high pitched insane laugh right, it'd send chills down the spines of movie goers. They can only capture fragments of him. Hamill captures it all, just not young enough to be on screen.
    I think his Joker is fun, but it's much more suited to a cartoon than live action and I don't find it particularly creepy or chilling, just entertaining.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Agreed.
    Personally I love Nicholson and don't rate ledgers joker as much, but ima give leto his chance...

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I think it's gonna be pretty great. It will never match the comic (none of these movies ever do), but with the exception of Ben MacKenzie's terrible voice acting in Year One, all the big stories have been adapted very well. Having the whole animated series cast on board for this is going to be very enjoyable, and while skeptical at first, the idea of a prologue for Batgirl is fine with me. I was fearful they were gonna add parts to the actually TKJ story, and I don't think I would've like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    Agreed.
    Personally I love Nicholson and don't rate ledgers joker as much, but ima give leto his chance...
    Ledgers Joker didn't make sense to me. No comic or series I ever saw had his Joker...its like what they did with Toby's Spiderman. Whatever they felt like. Nicholson's was close to the real deal...is it so much to ask to copy this scene...?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Godfather; 04-20-2016 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Gremlins I tell you...gremlins.
    Kind regards
    Godfather

"...Now, that's the power you can't buy! That's the power of fear​..."

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ledgers Joker didn't make sense to me. No comic or series I ever saw had his Joker...its like what they did with Toby's Spiderman. Whatever they felt like. Nicholson's was close to the real deal...is it so much to ask to copy this scene...?
    Yeah, right. Ledgers joker was cool acting but did he ever even laugh? Not chuckle but like insanely laugh like the panel u posted? Nicholson had some nutty laughter tho

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It will never compare to the comic or Mask of the Phantasm, but Conroy, Hamill, and R-Rating will cause even me to give it a watch at some point.
    They did really well with Under the Red Hood. As long as they don't try to change the plot I'm fairly optimistic.

Incredible Member

I like these type of panel-for-panel remake movies. Year One especially.
    I'd be happy if they made every major story from 1980-2011.
    I'd watch a shot for shot Long Halloween/Dark Victory, No Man's Land, Hush, etc
    The more the better. Happy to see Killing Joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcrimsonprog View Post
    I like these type of panel-for-panel remake movies. Year One especially.
    I'd be happy if they made every major story from 1980-2011.
    I'd watch a shot for shot Long Halloween/Dark Victory, No Man's Land, Hush, etc
    The more the better. Happy to see Killing Joke.
    This this this. DKR is fire...love the music...year one bores me, red hood, batman and son... I got em all...

KNIGHTFALL PLEASE!!!!
    make it a 2 partner...even Contagion/Legacy

KNIGHTFALL PLEASE!!!!
    make it a 2 partner...
    I don't think they could do it properly in a single film. Just too much to cover.

Makes sense to do Knightfall up to Bane's defeat by JPV in the first film, and then cover JPV's descent into madness and Bruce's return in the second part.

The way they've been cranking these out, I'm surprised this isn't in the works already.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Yeah, right. Ledgers joker was cool acting but did he ever even laugh? Not chuckle but like insanely laugh like the panel u posted? Nicholson had some nutty laughter tho
    He did when he was getting beaten up in the interrogation room and when he was falling from the building at the end. YMMV on how "insane" those were, but they were both more than chuckling.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)