Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I wasn't aware of any recolouring beyond the original one they did for the TPB. I thought Mazzucchelli's issue with the recent edition was the poor quality reproduction of that colouring.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I wasn't aware of any recolouring beyond the original one they did for the TPB. I thought Mazzucchelli's issue with the recent edition was the poor quality reproduction of that colouring.
    Nope, Mazz does indeed complain of some recoloring in the 2012 one (he may just be talking about the cover??)
    DC just sent me this book last week, and I really hope people don’t buy it. I didn’t even know they were making it, and I don’t understand why they thought it was necessary — several years ago, DC asked me if I’d help put together a deluxe edition ofBatman: Year One, and Dale Crain and I worked for months to try to make a definitive version. Now whoever’s in charge has thrown all that work in the garbage. First, they redesigned the cover, and recolored my artwork — probably to look more like their little DVD that came out last year; second, they printed the book on shiny paper, which was never a part of the original design, all the way back to the first hardcover in 1988; third — and worst — they printed the color from corrupted, out-of-focus digital files, completely obscuring all of Richmond’s hand-painted work. Anybody who’s already paid for this should send it back to DC and demand a refund.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-24-2015 at 08:47 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Looking at the whole paragraph I think he must be just talking about the cover as he complains about the "corrupted, out-of-focus digital files, completely obscuring all of Richmond’s hand-painted work"

Incredible Member

I dont want to triple dip but anyone know which colored version is this one?

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

I have a question, I own Batman: Year One which has extras for like 40 pages. It is the 2012 which you said is bad because of the recoloring? or is it something else? thanks
    Don't really understand what you're asking, but I'm sure the answer is given in this thread

I just added the Batman: Year One hardcover version (that comes with the animated movie on Blu-Ray/DVD) to my collection. I love this cover, and it was previously only available on the 2005 softcover edition:

JUN150280.jpg

And, just because a man can't have enough versions of Batman: Year One, I bought the Titan Books (UK) softcover edition:

27a99950-da2d-012c-9a84-0050569439b1.jpg
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

I dont want to triple dip but anyone know which colored version is this one?
    Good one. I will flip through it when it gets delivered. I guess/hope that it is the 2005 edition, since it has the same cover as the trade paperback version of that year, but knowing DC it could very well be the 2012 edition (with the ''bad'' coloring), only with the 2005 cover wrapped around it.

Looking at the whole paragraph I think he must be just talking about the cover as he complains about the "corrupted, out-of-focus digital files, completely obscuring all of Richmond’s hand-painted work"
    He is talking about the cover AND the interior of the book:

About the cover:

First, they redesigned the cover, and recolored my artwork — probably to look more like their little DVD that came out last year;
    About the interior:

second, they printed the book on shiny paper, which was never a part of the original design, all the way back to the first hardcover in 1988; third — and worst — they printed the color from corrupted, out-of-focus digital files, completely obscuring all of Richmond’s hand-painted work.
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

...AND MORE...

Quote Originally Posted by masahikotahara View Post
    He is talking about the cover AND the interior of the book:
    What I meant was it looks like hies' only talking about the cover when he talks about recolouring. The complaints about the internal colours are not to do with recolouring at all and specifically mention Richmond Lewis's colours - which implies there wasn't any internal recolouring.

You are absolutely right; I interpreted your remarks the wrong way.

Batman-facepalm.jpg
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

...AND MORE...

Amazing Member

By mistake I picked this up and thought it looked different…I didn't notice how much different before i saw the comparison.What a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffera View Post
    By mistake I picked this up and thought it looked different…I didn't notice how much different before i saw the comparison.What a travesty.
    I don't know exactly what you mean. You should be just fine, as long as you haven't picked up the 2012 version:

Batman_Year-One_Deluxe-Edition_HC-684x1024.jpg

If you're alluding to the difference in coloring between the original (separate) issues and the pre-2012 collected version(s), that's another story.

Personally, I like the recoloring by Richmond Lewis very much.

Original

1394386.jpg

Recolored

8261258.jpg

Also, this:

ABSOLUTE BATMAN: YEAR ONE HC

Written by FRANK MILLER

Art and cover by DAVID MAZZUCCHELLI

ABSOLUTE BATMAN: YEAR ONE presents one of DC Comics’ most lauded tales in two hardcover volumes contained by a slipcase.

The first volume will reprint the recolored version of the story from previous collected editions, remastered with new, high-resolution scans of the original coloring by David Mazzucchelli and Richmond Lewis.

The second volume will reprint the original 1987 version of the story as it ran in BATMAN #404-407, reproduced from scans made by Mazzucchelli and Lewis from the printed comic book pages, presented on stock that simulates the look and feel of the original comics. This volume will include Miller’s complete scripts and Mazzucchelli’s complete pencil layouts for all four chapters!

Together, the two volumes will include more than 60 pages of bonus material, including everything seen in the existing hardcover and trade paperback collections.

On sale NOVEMBER 2 • 288 pg, FC, 8.25” x 12.5”, $125.00 US
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

...AND MORE...

If you're alluding to the difference in coloring between the original (separate) issues and the pre-2012 collected version(s), that's another story.

I might be the only one, but I prefer the original colours.

Amazing Member

I don't know exactly what you mean. You should be just fine, as long as you haven't picked up the 2012 version:

Batman_Year-One_Deluxe-Edition_HC-684x1024.jpg

Original

1394386.jpg

Recolored

8261258.jpg

Also, this:

ABSOLUTE BATMAN: YEAR ONE HC

Written by FRANK MILLER

Art and cover by DAVID MAZZUCCHELLI

ABSOLUTE BATMAN: YEAR ONE presents one of DC Comics’ most lauded tales in two hardcover volumes contained by a slipcase.

The first volume will reprint the recolored version of the story from previous collected editions, remastered with new, high-resolution scans of the original coloring by David Mazzucchelli and Richmond Lewis.

The second volume will reprint the original 1987 version of the story as it ran in BATMAN #404-407, reproduced from scans made by Mazzucchelli and Lewis from the printed comic book pages, presented on stock that simulates the look and feel of the original comics. This volume will include Miller’s complete scripts and Mazzucchelli’s complete pencil layouts for all four chapters!

Together, the two volumes will include more than 60 pages of bonus material, including everything seen in the existing hardcover and trade paperback collections.

On sale NOVEMBER 2 • 288 pg, FC, 8.25” x 12.5”, $125.00 US
    But in my version the panel with Gordon sitting on the bed is the new version. This is the version I have:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But in my version the panel with Gordon sitting on the bed is the new version. This is the version I have:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    So you have the recolored version, which I like very much. The only source for the original coloring are the original issues (Batman #404-407), at least until the Absolute version comes out in November...
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

...AND MORE...