Spectacular Member

Default Civil War Revisited: Sentinels for Everybody!

Ok, most folks hate Civil War. I personally thought the characterization was awful but the idea was solid gold. However, it always bugged me that Civil Ward didn't do much to bring the mutant community together with the wider metahuman community. Imagine the mutants as a sort of underground railroad for wanted metas. Or Cyclops actively recruiting folks now that they have a mutual enemy!

Honestly, why is it that every genocidal maniac with giant robots decides to use them on Mutants alone. Aren't asgardians, irradiated monsters, trans-human super scientists, and sapient robots just as scary to that kind of maniac? Why are marvel villains so selective, and why are its heroes so divided?

In short, why aren't all of marvels heroes neck-deep in Sentinels?

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Because reasons

Actually the reason mutants get the hate others don't was at one point related to the idea that they were going to one day replace baseline humanity. The rest of the superhero community were simple oddities protecting regular humans from the monsters, while the mutants were lumped in with the monsters that people needed to be protected from.

they added to the mutant discrimination storyline.

I am not sure how practical they would be across the board. They would have to be able to scan for a lot of different powers. Plus the many that don't have any powers.

The US government and most of Earth's governments (those that aren't led by lunatics) won't activate the Sentinels unless they are facing an extinction-level menace; last time they did was against Kang (who was attacking Earth), and it backfired badly.

Sentinels are almost as dangerous for the people using them as they are to the people they are used against; those things tend to go rogue and try to conquer Earth or to be hacked by villains. The only reason they keep being produced is because mutants fear them, so they are used as a deterrence, kind of like nukes.

The reason they are that way is that Bolivar Trask, who was an anthropologist, not an engineer, made them using tech developed by Phineas T. Horton, who in turn had benefited from future tech leaked by Kang; neither Horton, much less Trask, fully understood that futuristic software (they still have backdoors that allow Kang to take control any time he wants).

And since present scientists don't really understand that software either, they can't fix them and make them safe; but they are very good at what they do (killing mutants), so governments keep building them just in case they need to face a genetic World War some day, because being enslaved by robots sucks, but it's still better than being slaughtered by mutants.

Since they know those flaws, the government won't activate them to fight Caps and his rebel group, who never were a real menace, and they will certainly never be deployed against humans (too dangerous!).
    Last edited by Habis; 06-29-2014 at 05:10 AM.

Because, its simply logic, if you got powers by accident or if you are an alien or if you are the product of a secret Project, its okay, its not your fault; if you are born with powers, oh my god, help, kill it with fire.

As someone who was not reading Marvel monthly titles at the time, I personally thought Civil War was fine. Since almost everything has been retconned anyway, it reads now more as a What If story. Compared to all the Bendis penned events, I think it stands out at the strongest crossover from Marvel of the previous decade. Perhaps that isn't saying much, since they seem to be far weaker than say the line wide events that DC was putting out at the same time. But still, a solid story, which leads right into Cap's death, which gives us Bucky Cap, which is the best thing ever.... So yeah.