Super Moderator

Default Annie Wu & Veronica Fish to Join Mark Waid on "Archie" in November

"Black Canary" artist Annie Wu and newcomer Veronica Fish will take over art duties on the main "Archie" title from "Saga's" Fiona Staples this fall.

Full article here.

Incredible Member

I love Annie Wu's style...wish she was staying on for more than a single issue though. I like the art in the promotional image from Veronica Fish, but Betty looks like a 13 year old. Fix that issue, and I'm excited.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

If Veronica Fish designed this image for CW's Riverdale, then that would be an interesting art style for the main Archie comic.

Well, I'll be getting Archie #4 now for sure. Annie Wu's cover art looks great. I wonder if the artists will be alternating, or if Veronica Fish will be the main artist for Archie beyond #5 and 6.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Those are two great artists, was worried the series would nosedive in visual quality after Staples leaves... Clearly not the case!

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Those are two great artists, was worried the series would nosedive in visual quality after Staples leaves... Clearly not the case!
    Agreed strongly! Love that they're picking people with similar styles, too.

Wow, Annie Wu is a real get, and the art from Veronica Fish looks pretty great too as well as quite similar to the aesthetic and style that Staples has been using which is really cool .

So if we have Wu for one issue, and Fish for two, I wonder if Staples will be back for #7 or someone else?

Judging by the cover for #4, it looks like we finally have Veronica and the love triangle in full swing even if the main plot is Dilton and Moose solving the mystery of the "lipstick incident."

This is the final straw for me and Archie comics. First they give up on the longest running comic series, and then they end it at issue #666?! The most wholesome series in comic history, an American icon, ended at 666?! We get it guys, Afterlife made you a lot of money, but not EVERYTHING needs to be gritty and dark. Look where that got DC.

SECOND, you promise us this new take, like nothing we have seen before, and TEASE us with Staples and Waid. BUT, you knew from the getgo that this was a bait and switch, and that Fiona was only on for THREE lousy issues?! Why have her on at all?! Either the new artist tries to ape her style, making a shitty imitation the new "house style", or you end up having readers questioning why the art quality and style dropped off and changed so much.

What a horrible move by a company I thought could do no wrong. Just the WORST.

And you just KNOW that 6-10 issues in, when sales are down, they will relaunch the main series at #667, and re-title this series "Archie Now!" or "Archie Modern". Not this guy. I am OUT.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    This is the final straw for me and Archie comics. First they give up on the longest running comic series, and then they end it at issue #666?! The most wholesome series in comic history, an American icon, ended at 666?! We get it guys, Afterlife made you a lot of money, but not EVERYTHING needs to be gritty and dark. Look where that got DC.

SECOND, you promise us this new take, like nothing we have seen before, and TEASE us with Staples and Waid. BUT, you knew from the getgo that this was a bait and switch, and that Fiona was only on for THREE lousy issues?! Why have her on at all?! Either the new artist tries to ape her style, making a shitty imitation the new "house style", or you end up having readers questioning why the art quality and style dropped off and changed so much.

What a horrible move by a company I thought could do no wrong. Just the WORST.

And you just KNOW that 6-10 issues in, when sales are down, they will relaunch the main series at #667, and re-title this series "Archie Now!" or "Archie Modern". Not this guy. I am OUT.

To be fair, which it doesn't seem you are being, Archie Comics is not pulling a bait and switch. They have said numerous times from the get go that Staples would be on three issues. Since then, Staples has said she may be coming around for future arcs from time to time. So you can't really say you are surprised or feel cheated by the artist change. Also, three issues is a lot of comics...you ought to try enjoying them rather than spewing hate and anger all over the forums.

Additionally, Annie Wu is a top tier artist and Veronica Fish has a great aesthetic as well. Archie Comics isn't just throwing hacks in there. They have clearly thought out in advance who they want drawing their flagship book.

Finally, your prediction that Archie Comics is going to drop the relaunch after 6-10 issues is not based on anything. It seems to me they are fully committed to the relaunch. They have top tier talent on Archie (Waid, Staples, Wu, Fish) and are following up on Archie with Jughead from Zdarsky and Betty & Veronica from Adam Hughes. They aren't just haphazardly doing this relaunch with no endgame in mind.

I admit that ending the old Archie series on issue 666 seemed to be in poor taste, but that really has nothing to do with the relaunch.

Staples is on Saga, she's said she would only do three issues because it was something she HAD to do (hello, relaunching Archie!) But she couldn't maintain a dual book schedule, so I don't think she'll be back anytime soon. I'm glad Annie Wu is only one issue, she's going great things on Black Canary! And Veronica Fish would make a great permanent artist on this title, she should stick around!