View Poll Results: Am I the only one that feels this way?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like that we're focusing on the teen versions of the adults we already read about.

25 37.31%
  • No, I'm tired of the same, constantly played out stuff.

32 47.76%
  • Hmm, it's early...maybe this will turn out to be at least decent.

2 2.99%
  • Eh...don't really care...

8 11.94%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

.... says who?

I'll show support for the O5 only if Marvel use this book to usher in quality new mutant characters which has been denied to us since the end of AVX.If Marvel has any inkling of doing right by its X-Men fans they should give us new characters and use this book as its platform and slowly start integrating them into the other X-Books.I see as an excellent way to do character development for both the O5 and the characters they bring in.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

At first I was opposed to the 05 being in the present but my opinion gradually changed, especially after they left the losers and joined Scott's side. I don't care about any of the adult counterparts except Scott, so in my opinion; Jean is dead so I'm fine with teen Jean taking her place, adult Beast is a horrible, hypocritical douchebag who should be killed-off and replaced with his uncorrupted counterpart, adult Iceman is a boring, closet-case douchebag who should be killed-off and replaced with his younger openly gay counterpart, and isn't adult Warren mind-wiped or whatever? I'm fine with teen Warren and his energy wings being the new archangel. Adult Scott is the only one I wouldn't want to get replaced.

I was hoping that All-New X-Men would be relaunched post Secret Wars with a roster of characters like Anole, Pixie, Rockslide, Indra, Mercury, etc. but that was too much to hope for.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    At first I was opposed to the 05 being in the present but my opinion gradually changed, especially after they left the losers and joined Scott's side. I don't care about any of the adult counterparts except Scott, so in my opinion; Jean is dead so I'm fine with teen Jean taking her place, adult Beast is a horrible, hypocritical douchebag who should be killed-off and replaced with his uncorrupted counterpart, adult Iceman is a boring, closet-case douchebag who should be killed-off and replaced with his younger openly gay counterpart, and isn't adult Warren mind-wiped or whatever? I'm fine with teen Warren and his energy wings being the new archangel. Adult Scott is the only one I wouldn't want to get replaced.
    I'd be fine with a clean up, aka only one version survives so keep the teen versions of Jean, Beast, Bobby and Angel, and kill their adult counterparts. Kill teen scott and keep older scott, that would be awesome.

I wouldn't care so much if they stayed had they split them up more and allowed them to spread around different factions like Jeen is doing now and Tyke did in space. Angel, Henry and Icetwink have all been largely irrelevant even with some interesting development thrown their way last minute (Cosmic powers for Angel and coming out for Bobby).

Tyke and Jeen are the only ones that feel like they have been explored with dealing with the present. And I feel like Tyke may be regressed by being return to the team to be honest. The whole point of this was to have them interact with the present but they are just continuing to cling to each other and it feels like safe not fun territory.

I hope Hopeless plans to actually deal with things and grow as character, even though I think the premise is dumb as hell, but if they're staying make use of them already or just kill them off/send them back/lock them in a bunker whatever.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

First I have no strong opinions on the 05, if handled well like in the Cyclops solo I'm completely fine with them being here. That was actually a pretty damned good book most of the time. The actual 05 book suffered from the typical Bendis problems, sometimes it was good, sometimes it was (really) bad, it had a lot of interesting possibilities but ultimately went nowhere. But it was also one of the best selling X-Men books so like them or not its not a concept that will be immediately abandoned no matter how much its existence irritates certain readers.

BUT I think a few points really need to be made.
    1st, The existence of ANXM never prevented anything. There was never a choice between writing the 05 or writing the NXM, or the New Mutants, or Gen X or any other group. If they weren't doing the 05 those other groups still wouldn't have been written because like it or not Marvel didn't want to release a book about them.

2nd, the 05 in the present were never an actual threat to the current timeline because of comic book science and Marvel has never had a consistent set of time travel rules, even before Secret Wars (or Bendis). Time travel was once described by an editor there as working however the author needed it to for the story. Therefore outside of being a plot point macguffen there presence violated nothing (except maybe good taste).

3rd, Both of these points still stand post secret wars. If Marvel were to suddenly stop the 05 book nothing guarantees that the concept or characters you want are going to magically start being written about. This has been a constant sore point on the forum. A lot of posters seem to take a personal offense at the existence of ANXM as if their mere presence were preventing Marvel from producing an actual teen book when in reality, nothing could be further from the truth.

4th, Even if Marvel were to shunt the 05 off back to the past and focus on the "future" as the original poster posits, thats no guarantee that you'll get something good out of it. I refer you to "Wolverine and the X-Men" a teen book focused on the actual current school students and in my opinion at least... the biggest pile of dog crap Marvel's published under the X-Line ever (yes even worse than Austin) which gave us such wonderful characters as Shark-Girl, Eye-Boy and the Hellfire brats. I don't know about any of the other posters but I'd take the 05 any day of the week over that steaming piece of crap.

5th, For all the hate ANXM was mostly a self contained title. WatXM however, tainted the whole gold side, staff, students, everything. The best that could happen if you were gold side was to be wallpaper there because if you were actually significant in any way you were typically made to look like crap to push Quentin Quire and his collection of misfit sight gags.

The only thing that I would ask is if their going to publish any X book, have it not suck and actually deliver on some of the plot points it brings up. If it can do that I don't care if its the 05, the ANAD team, modern X-Men or future X-Men.
    Last edited by Kisinith; 08-18-2015 at 08:05 PM.

I sort of want to read this because I like Cyclops, Angel and Laura but on the other hand there are so many things going against this book. The O5 were just an excuse to bring Jean back, they should have just kept that Xean from BotA and sent the O5 back.

The rest of the team in this book just made me more annoyed. Idie and Evan? I just don't care about these new mutants/students. There are too many of them, pointless.

Oh, those uniforms... At least keep the old uniforms instead of these crappy generic costumes.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

They're awful. I want my good characters (X-23, QQ) separated from this nonsense and returned the respect and realized characterization they had under star writers like Aaron and Kyost.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2009
    --- the best there is at what I do ---

The blurb for extraordinary xmen is tha mutants are more hated and feared than ever, which doesn't make sense to me, because there aren't many of them left. Why aren't the inhumans getting the blame for whatever's going to happen?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I'd be fine with a clean up, aka only one version survives so keep the teen versions of Jean, Beast, Bobby and Angel, and kill their adult counterparts. Kill teen scott and keep older scott, that would be awesome.
    Then you realize that as long as adult Scott is there and given any measure of authority that nothing will change, right?

Wasn't it during bota that it was shown that if tyke died so did cyke.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

Quote Originally Posted by OpticDreams View Post
    Wasn't it during bota that it was shown that if tyke died so did cyke.
    Yes, it was shown but that was before the universe was destroyed.

Always getting the best artists makes a huge difference Bendis is the only main X-writer in the last 5 or so years not saddled with Greg Land.

Fractions run would have been a work of art if he wasn't saddled with the deadly combo of Dodson and Land. Same for Gillen.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 08-19-2015 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCX View Post
    The O5 were just an excuse to bring Jean back...
    But it's not even Jean, not really. It's not Jean we've read about over the years, she hasn't gone through the same life changing events for one, she's hasn't grown due to these events. It's just a red headed teenager with the same powers. We had one of those already, except not a teen, a full fledged cool redhead tied to the Phoenix in Rachel.

This said, not long before Teen Jean arrived, we had First Class, with Jean in it.

The idea of the O5 coming to the future could have worked amazingly, if they kept it as a 12 issue maxi-series with a big event at the end, changing Cyclops mind about things and moving in a new direction (considering the direction he was going before AvX and after AvX didn't change one bloody bit) and being consistent with Marvel time travel. None of that happened. It ended up as pretty much different characters existing, Cyclops going further down the rabbit hole and time travel being completely changed within like 3 issues of each other to make the story 'fit'.

Without Bendis and Immonen to sell it, the book won't do as well.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Honestly i have lost all interest in these characters, and to be honest the only interest that i had in them was why could they not return? I naively believed that Marvel and or Bendis had a endgame to this Story or at the very least some sort of direction. The 05 have just been plopped into the present and are hanging out eating ice cream. Honestly i think that one of the reasons people bought the book was because they wanted to see how things would play out with them not being able to go back. That luster has wore off now. However as i said a book featuring young X-characters is needed to draw in new and young readers. The X-office seems to have hedged their bets on the 05.