Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm not sure where exactly I was first introduced to Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, whether via Batman: The Animated Series or the '66 show, but Batgirl's portrayal in the latter was always very iconic in my mind. And I'm sure it was especially iconic for kids growing up when the show was originally airing and particularly for girls.

RIP Ms. Craig, and thank you for helping bring Batgirl into live-action and making her as popular as she is today.

I wonder if she was able to do any recording for the animated Batman '66 movie before her passing ?

Rest in peace Ms Craig. Growing up she was my hero cause not only did she fight but she was smart. Growing up a bookworm I had a role model that i could look up to. Thank You! You will be miss.
    I wanta be Rogue when i grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Very sad news. She's the reason Batgirl/Babs is a pop culture icon. It all started with Yvonne. Was she the first female superhero on tv?
    I don't know if she was the first but of comic book heroines, she may have been the first to have a major impact. To be honest, yes, I think that, of the people who have even heard of Batgirl, for way over 90% of them, she's the reason they have any idea the character even exists. Even for many of us who know the character exists outside of Yvonne Craig, she is still the main reason we have any interest in the character, everything after her being a carryover of interest from her portrayal. Batgirl would not be a pop culture icon without her.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Of my generation (I was born a year before Batman originally aired), she was the only actress who had played a live-action superheroine. To say she left an impression on us is an understatement. Obviously, Yvonne Craig had a big part in my appreciation of Babs/Batgirl.

Having said that, I think her appearance on Star Trek was my favorite (at least by the time I hit puberty ).

R.I.P.
    Yes that was a classic.

Yvonne's character says she wrote something, begins reciting the "To be or not to be" speech.

Garth: That was written centuries ago by a man named Shakespeare.

Yvonne's character: Which does not change the fact that I wrote it again just now.

I would add that, for those of us growing up in that time, while we undeniably were "impressed" by the form-fitting costume (I was actually too young to be "impressed" by it on the first run but appreciated it later), her character was notable in my understanding of the Women's rights movement and women as equals. Even at ten years old, I recognized sarcasm. Batgirl would use her intelligence and detective abilities to figure out what was going on. When she would show up, Batman would say something about how it was a lucky coincidence that she "just happened" to show up *after* we, the audience, had seen how she had figured it out every step of the way. She would respond sarcastically with, "Well, of course Batman. After all, luck and intuition are the most important parts of a female crime fighter's arsenal." He would accept it, never feeling the sarcasm. In fact a few years later, Yvonne did a commercial for Woman's rights as Batgirl.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I don't know if she was the first but of comic book heroines, she may have been the first to have a major impact.
    I can't think of any before her. I believe she was the first.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Sad to hear. I grew up on the 66 show and loved her. Still the best Batgirl imo.

Spectacular Member

I was born in 1970 and Yvonne Craig Batgirl was my 1st boyhood crush. She made me the Batgirl fan I am today. Yvonne was so cute as Batgirl and Barbara Gordon. Loved her purple Batgirl costume. She was nice enough to let Warner use her likeness for 66 Batgirl merchandise for her fans while she was battling breast cancer. Yvonne will always be the live-action Batgirl. Sad day. I wish she could have lived to see the 50th anniversary of the Batman TV series in 2016 and Batgirl's anniversary, too. I never liked how Barbara Gordon was tortured in 1988 The Killing Joke and Yvonne found it bizarre in a 1989 Comics Scene magazine interview. I am glad Batgirl is back in DC Comics today and being portrayed like TV Batgirl. Yvonne would want it that way. Rest in peace, Yvonne.

To this day, Yvonne gave the only and best live action portrayal of Barbara Gordon. Never cared much for the show but she definitely was a scene stealer. May she rest in God's embrace. RIP.

BANNED

RIP to Yvonne Craig, the first and best actress to portray Batgirl in a Live action format. She truly trail blazed the way for female heroines to be seen in the media.

I was deeply saddened to hear of this. Yvonne was such a bright warm person. I did not know she was this seriously ill.

R.I.P. to the best live action Batgirl ever. Ms.Craig truly created a star and top tier heroine out of a rather late to the scene character. She has been a fine example for future generations to follow. She will be missed. Her influence and presence shall never perish though.

Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

R.I.P Batgirl.

That costume was boss.

Astonishing Member

I'm tempted to get a Craig Batgirl Avatar she along with the B:TAS Babs were my earliest introduction to the character long before I had touched a comic book.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Condolences to her family. Many fond memories of her on Batman & Star Trek.

Rip my favorite actress to play Batgirl.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."