Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Berry View Post
    It's kinda funny that the new Earth is 008, since in multiversity Earth 8 was the world with all the Marvel analogs.
    Though it's most likely due to 8 being used as an arc number a lot in Time Runs Out - Secret Wars- 8 Months Later
    It's even stranger that they refer to the main universe as Earth 8 yet Spider-Gwen's universe is still Earth 65.

Is it true? Because I love the number 8.
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tahhat View Post
    Actually I think Otherworld the home of the Captain Britain Corp is unofficially known as Earth 000. Because all Earths are but pale imitations of it. If you believe Merlin and Roma.

I don't know whether you could call Otherworld an actual Earth. It isn't in any real sense of the word. I mean, it doesn't share a geography which resembles our Earth in any true fashion.

Otherworld is more like this little pocket of reality which borders every know universe in Marvel's multiverse, at the same geographical point in each case. Britain. Or to be more precise, England. Even on Earth's where that region is not called 'England'. Even on Earths where that land mass is under water.

The physical entrance (that stone circle) is in the Cheviot Hills, on the English side of the England/Scotland border.

It's even a little uncertain as to whether the geography of Otherworld itself is a permanent thing. It's shaped by the collective consciousness of the British people, in an infinite number of possible Englands. It's shape and appearance is therefore forever changing, forever in a state of flux.

There are landmarks which seem to stay put - the Starlight Citadel (Seat of Merlyn & Roma), the Green Chapel (Home to the Green Knight and the essence of the Pendragons) but everything else seems to be a little more malleable.

Since Secret Wars, of course, Otherworld appears to be gone. We presume that Higher Avalon is perhaps what became of it. Hickman did of course seed a get out clause though. In New Avengers, when covering what became of the Captain Britain Corps, he did note that Brian Braddock was cast out of Otherworld before it was overrun having been given the knowledge and records of the Starlight Citadel.

If you're going to restart a multiverse then those could come in rather handy. It also frees any future Captain Britain writer (and lets not forget its the character's 40th anniversary next year) to start over with the character.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by idisestablish View Post
    It seems to me that everything that happened in the past still happened. When Battleworld was created, it was made to look and feel older than it was, and people were given false memories. Nothing has demonstrated that time has actually been rewritten. Battleworld is held within 616 Eternity (as seen in Silver Surfer), so it seems that Battleworld is contained within the Eternity previously filled by what we know as 616. The Beyonders have been explicitly stated as being completely linear, so the destruction of the multiverse occurred at a certain point in time, ending anything that came afterwards, but each universe was not destroyed throughout space-time, so anything that occurred previously should still be in place, thus permitting time-travel. Battleworld was shown to have been stitched together inside Eternity, who had been placed in a void outside of the "space" that 616 occupied. Time travel to a point in the fabricated version of history Doom implanted would not be possible, since those events did not actually occur.

So, you can theoretically time-travel to any point before the destruction of 616, but if you are there at the point in space-time that it was destroyed, then you would be destroyed as well, unless you are present within the portion of the universe that was carried into Battleworld. After that, the timeline for the portion of 616 that survives continues into Battleworld from the moment it was actually stitched together. Same with other timelines like Age of Apocalypse. It continues as it did up until the point that Doom ripped it, at which point, the timeline carries on, for the portion that was saved, in Battleworld. So, if you are traversing from a time before the destruction to a time after the destruction, you would need to travel through, not only time, but space because the "space" the timeline picks up is different. Think of it like someone moving Earth, if you time travel past the point it was moved, you would just be in empty space if you didn't also travel to the location Earth was moved to. Except, as demonstrated, anything in that "space" after the collapse of the universe would be destroyed. Since we don't know how the rest of Secret Wars will unfold, it's unknown how many or what universes will be re-created after it ends or how they will be created. We do know that the mainline universe is being created by Silver Surfer, aided by the Shaper of Worlds. It, like Battleworld, will probably be made to feel older than it is and like a continuation of 616, but we still really don't know how it's going to play out and if the "patch" of 616 in Battleworld is going to be transferred there or perhaps just some inhabitants of Battleworld will choose to relocate there, or what. So all we can really pin down from a time-travel perspective is everything before the universes died is the same, and there is nothing after except for those places stitched together to form Battleworld. My best guess is that the timeline will follow as normal from 616 to Battleworld to Universe-8, with everything being moved through space but in a linear timeline, with multiple realities converging during their respective timelines after they became part of Battleworld.
    Really diggin this post...would just like to add that battleworld Kang said that time was littered with chronomines by Doom so as to limit travel and that in a couple last days books it was shown how futures and pasts were being destroyed during the final incursions....i could be misremembering that last part tho

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...f-the-avengers
    ...the Marvel staff has taken to referring to the new Marvel U as "Universe 8"

That means that the designation of the post SW mainstream marvel Earth is; Earth-008!!!
    Riiiight. Nothing wrong with 616. I'll stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I don't really care. I have already gotten bored with the whole Battleworld thing. I'm more interested on how will the ANAD-verse work. I can't believe writers aren't going to fall back to old vices and abuse time travel and parallel universes aplenty.

So... are the Incursions and Secret Wars to be sweeped under the carpet? Or will heroes meet their counterparts and say "which Domain did you used to live in?" "Dystopia" "Ouch! That place sucks! I'm sorry for you, you should move to my place", or something like that?

What about the Earths that were destroyed? Are those going to be back, or are those Universes going to remain Earthless when the Multiverse is restored? Are Earthless Universes even going to be restored?

Those Universes lacking a Earth, they didn't explode but their stars all were snuffed off... Do those Universes keep existing as dark, lifeless places even during the Battleworld event? Will Marvel acknowledge their existence after the end of the Secret Wars event?

Will King James' England Domain, the Warzone Domain, the 2099 Domain, the Sentinel Territories, Valley of Doom...etc., be hurled back to the present and future, or will they become "present day" in their own Universes? Does Bishop comes from the Sentinel Territories, or from Earth 616's erased future?

Could it be that some characters escaped the Incursions travelling to the far past (Ahura?), and will at some point be able to come back without going through Battleworld? Could maybe whole civilizations have escaped the Incursions travelling to the far past?

Could the Mainstream Earth heroes travel to the past before the Incursions and stop themselves from doing useless, evil stuff that they regret now? Or will the Incursions event will just erased form the past?

Yes, I know Marvel will most likely tell us "Forget the Incursions! That was just an event, it is no longer relevant!...Our new great brand Gazebo-wooh Not-A-Reboot Megaevent, on the other hand, is going to really change everything inside out, you should really, really, really buy it!", but it pisses me that my mental map of how the MU works has been destroyed. It is really confusing to not know what is supposed to have happened and what isn't, what is the "real" in-universe past and what isn't...it feels really chaotic. I don't know what to expect anymore.
    To answer many of your questions... First, it's good you don't care because they seem not to care.

Yes, everything will be sweeped under the carpet, I've mentioned before that the idea of universal annihilation on a scale like this is too far, too much. What threat is there after once you've survived the end of everything. I doubt anyone will remember anything. The Incursions will be like they never occurred, no one remembers no one cares.

If any universes are not restores then whoever is restoring them has condemned countless lives to non-existance. Earth is beside the point, what of the rest of the universe? Marvel/Hickman seemed to forget the Earthless Universes that were 'saved' even existed. They should be fine yet there is no mention of them.

Once the multiverse is restored Bishop comes from the same place, Kang does too, Cable lived in the Askani future etc. They can't change their past... well they can but if they do you'd question what is wrong with them. Big retcon stick is weird at the moment.

You are right on the last point, it is confusing. They didn't need to do any of this, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It's even stranger that they refer to the main universe as Earth 8 yet Spider-Gwen's universe is still Earth 65.
    Already forgotten their own system?

616 forever.

EDIT: idisestablish, just read your post. Very good, interesting that it's being told not in Secret Wars.
    Last edited by The Fury; 10-13-2015 at 02:38 AM.

Just because the staff has been calling it "universe 8" doesn't mean that's the official designator. It could just be cutesy shorthand that they use around the office. My impression was that Brevoort hates ANY numbering, so why 616 is bad but 8 is ok makes no sense.

Good-bye 616! It was great knowing you!

Hello, 8.

I can't say I don't have reservations about this, but I'll wait before judging it all too harshly.

Quote Originally Posted by tahhat View Post
    Actually I think Otherworld the home of the Captain Britain Corp is unofficially known as Earth 000. Because all Earths are but pale imitations of it. If you believe Merlin and Roma.
    Nah, they're no Oberon and Corwin.

From Contest of Champions, it appears that the new nomenclature is actually omniverse, at least for the structure that contains the remains of Battleworld.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Just because the staff has been calling it "universe 8" doesn't mean that's the official designator. It could just be cutesy shorthand that they use around the office. My impression was that Brevoort hates ANY numbering, so why 616 is bad but 8 is ok makes no sense.
    I agree. Because Marvel being universe 8 would be... weird. Maybe is just a staff in-joke.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I'd also like to point out that the Thor from post-Secret Wars appeared in the pre-Secret Wars "Ultron Forever" story. (She makes a comment about the "Qeng Dynasty" which was previewed in the FCBD issue.) As far as we know, Thor knew and remembered everything that happened before. Yeah, yeah, alternate futures, but this heavily suggests that she's from the same Earth.

8 is half of 16 and when you flip it on its side it looks like Infinity.
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    I'd also like to point out that the Thor from post-Secret Wars appeared in the pre-Secret Wars "Ultron Forever" story. (She makes a comment about the "Qeng Dynasty" which was previewed in the FCBD issue.) As far as we know, Thor knew and remembered everything that happened before. Yeah, yeah, alternate futures, but this heavily suggests that she's from the same Earth.
    She is the Jane Foster from post-Secret Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by dvgravity View Post
    Maybe they'll finally do away with time travel stories?
    Probably not if they're going to continue to play with the Guardians of the Galaxy. They almost need to visit the earth 008 (or whatever we're calling it... I kinda miss 616 already) at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    She is the Jane Foster from post-Secret Wars.
    Yes, that's...what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunai View Post
    8 is half of 16 and when you flip it on its side it looks like Infinity.
    It's also the number of this universe:

That's why I don't think Marvel is going to change their number. It's going to be 616 (or 616.1 or 616 post SW or whatever, until the next event).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin