Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucena Soares View Post
    Come on. It was Brevoort, most of the time you can't count on what he says being official.
    The guy retconned Marvel: The End on his blog and also claimed Earth-1218 (our world) was also destroyed in the Incursions. Don't know about you guys but I don't remember that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    So there's your confirmation.

Post Secret Wars Marvel's central universe is still Earth 616.
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...mics-2015-2015
    In the preview it comes across that the designation '616' is used for a post Secret Wars all-new mainstream marvel Earth.
    So it is NOT 'still' the Marvel central universe that launched with Fantastic Four # 1 from 1961.
    The designation '616' is applied by marvel comics for an all-new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucena Soares View Post
    Come on. It was Brevoort, most of the time you can't count on what he says being official.
    I believe this more then ever now.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...mics-2015-2015
    In the preview it comes across that the designation '616' is used for a post Secret Wars all-new mainstream marvel Earth.
    So it is NOT 'still' the Marvel central universe that launched with Fantastic Four # 1 from 1961.
    The designation '616' is applied by marvel comics for an all-new one.
    Which looks, acts, and progresses EXACTLY like the old 616 did. Therefore, it's still the same 616. Maybe 616v2 at best.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    So there's your confirmation.

Post Secret Wars Marvel's central universe is still Earth 616.
    /Thread Over

Spectacular Member

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...f-the-avengers
    ...the Marvel staff has taken to referring to the new Marvel U as "Universe 8"

That means that the designation of the post SW mainstream marvel Earth is; Earth-008!!!

So;

Earth-001 Inheritors from the Spider-Verse event
    Earth-002 ???
    Earth-003 ???
    Earth-004 ???
    Earth-005 ???
    Earth-006 ???
    Earth-007 ???
    Earth-008 Mainstream marvel Earth post SW
    Universe 8 refers to the 8th iteration of the universe, not the number of the universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Universe 8 refers to the 8th iteration of the universe, not the number of the universe.
    YES! You are RIGHT!
    The post Secret Wars mainstream marvel Earth and Universe are referred to as mainstream PRIME Earth and Universe to me enormously lame and lazy.

However, this mainstream PRIME Earth and Universe have to have a designation and that designation is '616'.

So the post SW mainstream PRIME Earth and Universe is littered with superpowered refugees from;
    the ORIGINAL mainstream marvel Earth and Universe 616,
    Earth and Universe 1610 Miles Morales and Maker. Dunno who else
    and the refugees from Earth's and Universe's where OML, Red Wolf, Maestro, Singularity and the Squadran Supreme are from.

So Stephen Strange and adult Scott Summers are post SW mainstream PRIME Earth 616 versions.
    The Strange and Summers from the ORIGINAL mainstream marvel Earth 616 remain dead since they were both killed by 616 Dr. Doom on battleworld.

Wish marvel comics put out a list which clears up which marvel characters are versions of the current PRIME Earth 616, ORIGINAL Earth 616 and which are from other Earth's from the ORIGINAL Marvel Multiverse.
    It is fantastic that 616 Reed and 616 Owen Reece or creating the post SW Marvel Multiverse with I am guessing 616 Susan, 616 Franklin and 616 Valeria who were saved by 616 Reed once 616 Owen Reece gave him 616 Dr. Doom's god-like abilities so 616 Reed could reach out into the past and pluck them from the moments of their death's as depicted in Secret Wars # 1? Not sure the members of the Future Foundation are from the ORIGINAL Earth 616 though.

YES! You are RIGHT!
    The post Secret Wars mainstream marvel Earth and Universe are referred to as mainstream PRIME Earth and Universe to me enormously lame and lazy.
    Also very unoriginal, since "Prime Earth" (as opposed to "Earth-Prime") was what DC had previously said was the designation of the main DC Earth for their New52 titles.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...f-the-avengers
    ...the Marvel staff has taken to referring to the new Marvel U as "Universe 8"

That means that the designation of the post SW mainstream marvel Earth is; Earth-008!!!

So;

Earth-001 Inheritors from the Spider-Verse event
    Earth-002 ???
    Earth-003 ???
    Earth-004 ???
    Earth-005 ???
    Earth-006 ???
    Earth-007 ???
    Earth-008 Mainstream marvel Earth post SW

What they are talking about is that this is the 8th Cosmos, at least as far as has been described in New Avengers and Ultimates. So the previous reality leading up to the final incursion was the 7th Cosmos. The 6th Cosmos was the universe that Galen/Galactus came from. Maker reached back through the different iterations of the cosmos and summoned Moridun of the 5th Cosmos... I don't think we know of anyone from the 1st-4th Cosmos

As far as I can tell, this is still 616, just redesignated because it's the first world Reed recreated after the event. If you're the 616th person in a line, and the 615 people in front of you get out of the way, what number are you now? It's just like that.

I'm still calling it 616, though.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    As far as I can tell, this is still 616, just redesignated because it's the first world Reed recreated after the event. If you're the 616th person in a line, and the 615 people in front of you get out of the way, what number are you now? It's just like that.

I'm still calling it 616
    You'd be wrong though. Reed, Franklin and the Molecule Man have given things a completely different order. As I've mentioned elsewhere, 616 was started in the Marvel UK line because they were not allowed to use Marvel characters in their Captain Britain comic years ago when there was a Marvel UK division. Now it's gone for good. I think it only fitting that Reed and his family are restoring the Marvel Universe and there is no Captain Britain corp doing the numbering. Reed is

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-18-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You'd be wrong though. Reed, Franklin and the Molecule Man have given things a completely different order. As I've mentioned elsewhere, 616 was started in the Marvel UK line because they were not allowed to use Marvel characters in there Captain Britain comic years ago when there was a Marvel UK division. Now it's gone for good. I think it only fitting that Reed and his family are restoring the Marvel Universe and there is no Captain Britain corp doing the numbering. Reed is

My point is that if this is the same universe, restored but first in order, then it's still the old universe with new number. This isn't hard.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    My point is that if this is the same universe, restored but first in order, then it's still the old universe with new number. This isn't hard.
    What matters is what does MARVEL officially call it?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What matters is what does MARVEL officially call it?
    Exactly. I think Tom B has been trying to get rid of it for a while. For one thing, If you read mostly Fantastic Four or Avengers comics this number was never mentioned. It was mostly an Excalibur thing. Even at that, it was just one group of characters arbitrarily choosing some numbers. It's just like us calling the planet by names of the Greek Gods. I always thought it kind of funny that in some stories where Mars is shown to be inhabited the people living there call it Mars too. What a coincidence!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You'd be wrong though. Reed, Franklin and the Molecule Man have given things a completely different order. As I've mentioned elsewhere, 616 was started in the Marvel UK line because they were not allowed to use Marvel characters in their Captain Britain comic years ago when there was a Marvel UK division.
    I don't know where you get the idea that Marvel UK were not allowed to use Marvel characters in Captain Britain, because it is demonstrably incorrect. Arcade, Sebastian Shaw, Henry Gyrich and the Black Knight all turned up in Alan Moore's run of Captain Britain, all after it had been established both that Captain Britain was (a) back on his native Earth (the mainstream Marvel universe) and (b) that said Earth had been identified as Earth-616. In the earlier days of Captain Britain, he'd run into the Red Skull and Captain America, and his ongoing police nemesis was Dai Thomas, who debuted in Marvel US titles (as died Dai's partner, Kate Fraser). While the Moore run on Captain Britain was coming out in the UK, the Black Knight reappeared in the Avengers, wearing the costume he had worn in the British strip where he and Captain Britain fought alongside one another, and riding the bat-winged horse Valinor, who had previously only been seen in that same British strip. So this artificial division where the UK and US stuff weren't allowed to interact never existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I don't know where you get the idea that Marvel UK were not allowed to use Marvel characters in Captain Britain, because it is demonstrably incorrect. Arcade, Sebastian Shaw, Henry Gyrich and the Black Knight all turned up in Alan Moore's run of Captain Britain, all after it had been established both that Captain Britain was (a) back on his native Earth (the mainstream Marvel universe) and (b) that said Earth had been identified as Earth-616. In the earlier days of Captain Britain, he'd run into the Red Skull and Captain America, and his ongoing police nemesis was Dai Thomas, who debuted in Marvel US titles (as died Dai's partner, Kate Fraser). While the Moore run on Captain Britain was coming out in the UK, the Black Knight reappeared in the Avengers, wearing the costume he had worn in the British strip where he and Captain Britain fought alongside one another, and riding the bat-winged horse Valinor, who had previously only been seen in that same British strip. So this artificial division where the UK and US stuff weren't allowed to interact never existed.

It came from this entry in the Comics Should be Good blog. Looking back at the quote from Alan Davis:

"The irony is that the Multiverse was created out of Marvel UK’s desire to use Marvel US characters–which wouldn’t have been tolerated at the time. Setting the stories on an alternate Earth offered the opportunity to use any of the Marvel stars without concern for continuity–but Dave had no love for Marvel characters and Alan was offered SWAMP THING before he had finished his first arc so we never took advantage of the possibility."

It's not clear at what time that was occurring so maybe the comics you're talking about came after. Alan Davis was working with the previous writer to Moore, Dave Thorpe.