Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It came from this entry in the Comics Should be Good blog. Looking back at the quote from Alan Davis:

"The irony is that the Multiverse was created out of Marvel UK’s desire to use Marvel US characters–which wouldn’t have been tolerated at the time. Setting the stories on an alternate Earth offered the opportunity to use any of the Marvel stars without concern for continuity–but Dave had no love for Marvel characters and Alan was offered SWAMP THING before he had finished his first arc so we never took advantage of the possibility."

It's not clear at what time that was occurring so maybe the comics you're talking about came after. Alan Davis was working with the previous writer to Moore, Dave Thorpe.
    The comics I am talking about came before Thorpe and then after, during the Moore run. Thorpe made zero attempt to use any alternate version of Marvel stars, while Moore both brought the character back to the regular Marvel Earth within a couple of issues, THEN identified it as Earth-616 AND used Marvel US characters - not alternate versions. Potentially, based on what Alan D says, Thorpe's use of the multiverse might well have come out of Marvel UK editorial desire to use Marvel US characters which might in turn have been temporarily off limits, and Thorpe going alternate reality inspired Moore to use alternate realities too, but by the time Moore was writing the series, any such restrictions appear to have been long gone. The important point remains - 616 was always intended to be the main Marvel universe, not an alternate Marvel UK version.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Also very unoriginal, since "Prime Earth" (as opposed to "Earth-Prime") was what DC had previously said was the designation of the main DC Earth for their New52 titles.
    Well, it seems than they inspired a lot on DC for their own multiversal crisis, as Tom said in his own Formspring:

"Yeah I'm (and very likely most every other nerd out there) will still call it 616"
    Anonymous (fan)

"No, you won’t–because you’ll be wrong, and that will be damaging to your fan cried. This would be like insisting that the Post-Crisis DC Earth was Earth-1. It might be what you want, but it isn’t so, and like in that case, you will eventually come to accept the new normal."
    Tom Brevoort
    So basically is a new and totally different earth but is exactly the same. I suppose than eventually a collective amnesia will spread among the people and nobody even will remmeber the events of the incursions. Because those happened... or not?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...f-the-avengers
    ...the Marvel staff has taken to referring to the new Marvel U as "Universe 8"

That means that the designation of the post SW mainstream marvel Earth is; Earth-008!!!

So;

Earth-001 Inheritors from the Spider-Verse event
    Earth-002 ???
    Earth-003 ???
    Earth-004 ???
    Earth-005 ???
    Earth-006 ???
    Earth-007 ???
    Earth-008 Mainstream marvel Earth post SW
    Not quite. This is the eigth multiverse, wherein the previous comics were in the seventh and Galactus hails from the sixth.

Edit: a few people beat me to it but I didn't want to read through the whole thread. If you want to be incredibly precise (and it certainly seems that way) this IS a new universe, but considering it contains the entire population (discounting Reed's party) of, and every geographical minutia of, Earth 616 l think it's safe to say that it is still Earth 616. Every mountain, every street corner, every Barber shop in the universe is, within our scope of view, exactly the same.
    Last edited by ImprobableQuestion; 01-18-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Tom and company are really going to fail in convincing most fans to call it Earth Prime or Earth 1 or whatever, it's still basically Earth 616 so 616 it will remain. Just a slightly different version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Tom and company are really going to fail in convincing most fans to call it Earth Prime or Earth 1 or whatever, it's still basically Earth 616 so 616 it will remain. Just a slightly different version of it.
    I wonder if in this universe Peter Parker made a deal with Mephisto.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I wonder if in this universe Peter Parker made a deal with Mephisto.
    He did, because it's the same Peter Parker as the one in One More Day.

The Editors very much want us to believe that this is a reboot, just as they wanted very much to display Secret Wars as "the end of everything," or as some people here vehemently believed, the status quo going forward. Both cases are false. Reed recreated the multiverse from his not-trivial memory, and moved the residents of Battleworld there. Anyone else was returned to life in the same way as in Infinity Gauntlet.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What matters is what does MARVEL officially call it?
    And judging by the books, it's still 616. In basically every book where a universe number has been presented from the post-Secret Wars status quo, they've designated it Earth-616.

What books are those?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    He did, because it's the same Peter Parker as the one in One More Day.

The Editors very much want us to believe that this is a reboot, just as they wanted very much to display Secret Wars as "the end of everything," or as some people here vehemently believed, the status quo going forward. Both cases are false. Reed recreated the multiverse from his not-trivial memory, and moved the residents of Battleworld there. Anyone else was returned to life in the same way as in Infinity Gauntlet.
    Exactly this. It's the same universe, just with some minor differences and larger events which have transpired in the months since. Calling it a reboot as some people think is crazy.

...though I'd have been happy to have Battleworld stick around within some comics at the same time, but that was kind of a long shot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Exactly this. It's the same universe, just with some minor differences and larger events which have transpired in the months since. Calling it a reboot as some people think is crazy.

...though I'd have been happy to have Battleworld stick around within some comics at the same time, but that was kind of a long shot.
    I like to use the "Moon Knight's Dentist" theorem. Pre-Secret Wars the waiting room at Moon Knight's dentist's office was painted eggshell white, Post-Secret Wars it's cream. No one would notice, and it in no way impacts what we read.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousODG View Post
    What books are those?
    Web Warriors issue 1 and Spider-Gwen issue 3 at very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Web Warriors issue 1 and Spider-Gwen issue 3 at very least.
    Cool. I'll go with what's on-panel then rather than tweets/interviews. Besides, if anything, the Prime Earth is almost entirely Earth-616 with just a few additions to it. So calling it Earth-616 isn't exactly insulting or inaccurate. Don't see why Breevort is taking such issue with it.

In a certain sense, I think Tom is wrong about the post-Crisis DCU. As I read those issues, the "main" DC Earth effectively was Earth-1, it just rolled the history of Earth-2 and a few other worlds into it. He's forgetting that 95% of what DC was publishing at the time was Earth-1 comics, and not much changed immediately after the Crisis. Byrne's reboot of Superman didn't come until about 6 months after Crisis was done, so the classic DC history still had a chance to wrap up, too.

Why does the label matter?
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Why does the label matter?
    I don't think it does. Breevort seems to think it does, hence the insistence that it's "Prime Earth." Which is fine, but as far as many of us can tell, it's still 616 with some modifications to its history (which happens <I>all the time</I>). Hence, it's still "616" to a lot of us even if Marvel wants to officially label it as something else.