Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just curious has the punisher appeared in the story yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubhavkumarc View Post
    Stark's gonna take revenge soon!
    And it looks like he's taking it with maybe a steam powered doohickey. It's the only energy source I could think of. Now if Banner gets nuts we may get another treat. Fisk is toast!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Simply brutal. Can everyone agree that this is the best Secret Wars tie in book? It is the most intense one they have, yet has no superpowers or sci-fi/fantasy elements, just a bad ass western. I teared up a little at the end. And then I wind up at http://gerryduggan.com/ after googling the writers name and find him taking pleasure in the tears of his fans lol
    Not just the best tie in but easily the best title I've read from Marvel in recent months. I've been enjoying just about everything Duggan has done since the start of his Deadpool run. The story is good and there are still a lot of characters to appear. Parker and Wilson are guaranteed. I'm wondering who lives on the Richards spread since Doom was clear that there are no other Reed Richards in Doomworld except the two that came on the life rafts. I do expect Tony and Banner to probably die. It will be interesting to see what Banner's Mister Hyde looks like without the Gamma to trigger him. I still think the with Urich narrating, Nelson humiliated, and Fisk as the villain that Murdoch and the Devil will be the hero.

The fact that so much happened in this issue and all I can talk about is what will be coming shows just how good the writing is. This is what an episodic story should be.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I still have a bit of hope Steve isn't dead. The fact that there isn't any real Captain America around these day is one of the driving forces of why i read this book.
    As much as I loved his character in this (it's the best Steve Rogers I've seen in a long while), I( would be disappointed if he survives. Too many comics rely on fake-out death scenes. That scene was ballsy and keeping Steve alive would seem like wimping out on the writers part.

I know how you feel, though, I miss him too....

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    I've been enjoying just about everything Duggan has done since the start of his Deadpool run.
    This book is my first exposure to Duggan. What else has he done that is worth looking into? Is his Deadpool pretty much the place to start with him? Does his other work have the same great balance of laugh out loud moments and HOLY CRAP moments like the big ending of 1872 #2?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    This book is my first exposure to Duggan. What else has he done that is worth looking into? Is his Deadpool pretty much the place to start with him? Does his other work have the same great balance of laugh out loud moments and HOLY CRAP moments like the big ending of 1872 #2?
    Deadpool was written with Brian Posehn so there is a lot of comedy in there. His Nova run is available on Marvel Unlimited he took over at Nova #10. Hulk is also there, he took over that one at Hulk #4. I hear good things about Gotham Academy too.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Deadpool was written with Brian Posehn so there is a lot of comedy in there. His Nova run is available on Marvel Unlimited he took over at Nova #10. Hulk is also there, he took over that one at Hulk #4. I hear good things about Gotham Academy too.
    Does he work on Gotham Academy? I read that one and the regular team is writers Becky Cloonan and Brenden Fletcher and artist Karl Kerschl, but I don't remember to check to liner notes for guest writers names every time.
    Brian Posehn is a funny guy, so this Deadpool run sounds like what I'm looking for.

Finding a destination in the infinite multiverse

I loved Duggan's work too, can't wait to see what he does in uncanny avengers later.
    Note: This person is a Peter Parker, Hank Pym, Bruce Banner, Reed Richards and James Howlett fanboy, used to be a Steve Rogers fanboy before he turned grumpy.

I'm gunna miss Sheriff Rogers. He was super hot.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Why do you think the women stopped Stark continuing to shoot at Bullseye? That seemed totally out of character for women to intervene in men's shootouts.
    Well, the woman who takes the gun was Bucky's widow, Natasha, aka 1872 Black Widow. It's a neat call back to her original origin, where the death of her husband inspires her to take up arms in his place. She takes the gun so she can help Red Wolf with it, like we see later on.

As for the other women, I think interfering in gunfights like this makes perfect sense. Women at this time period, at least, the civilized, upright kind, were supposed to act as a moral police. The temperance movement, for example, was happening at the time and stemmed from a lot of the same impulses.

It is a bit weird to see say, Misty Knight being used this way, but it doesn't feel out of place as a trope.
    Last edited by Hrist; 08-21-2015 at 10:25 PM.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    Well, the woman who takes the gun was Bucky's widow, Natasha, aka 1872 Black Widow. It's a neat call back to her original origin, where the death of her husband inspires her to take up arms in his place. She takes the gun so she can help Red Wolf with it, like we see later on.

As for the other women, I think interfering in gunfights like this makes perfect sense. Women at this time period, at least, the civilized, upright kind, were supposed to act as a moral police. The temperance movement, for example, was happening at the time and stemmed from a lot of the same impulses.

It is a bit weird to see say, Misty Knight being used this way, but it doesn't feel out of place as a trope.

Women pleading for peace against
    Maybe. On a rare occasion where women are forced to save some of the drunk men folk dying in a pointless gunfight wastefully, but Stark? Who thinks he is worth saving? He has no wife. Does he have something the women of the west want?

If this is a Lady Avengers group forming, like the Avengers in Arcadia, then that would be stunning. Nobody would expect women to carry guns and start standing up to the men in power or violence. That would be some confrontation. I expect they would just get Grizzly to push them out of the way until the women shoot him. Then all hell would break out because the death of so many women in a town like Timely is going to refocus the men folk something fierce.
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-21-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Maybe. On a rare occasion where women are forced to save some of the drunk men folk dying in a pointless gunfight wastefully, but Stark? Who thinks he is worth saving? He has no wife. Does he have something the women of the west want?

If this is a Lady Avengers group forming, like the Avengers in Arcadia, then that would be stunning. Nobody would expect women to carry guns and start standing up to the men in power or violence. That would be some confrontation. I expect they would just get Grizzly to push them out of the way until the women shoot him. Then all hell would break out because the death of so many women in a town like Timely is going to refocus the men folk something fierce.
    Well, again, I think Natasha taking Stark's gun was more for her own plans than about saving Stark. & no lady in any Marvel Universe should want Bullseye hanging around, anyway.

But I don't think women were as passive as you're making out. You do have, say, Annie Oakley, or figures like Carrie Nation, running into bars with hatchets and smashing up all the liquor. It wasn't the norm, but in a superhero AU you don't expect people to be average. We already have Elektra as one of Fisk's lackeys! I'd definitely like to see the women playing a more active role in the story, and forming an 1872 Avengers would be neat.

I think Red Wolf really has to be the protagonist of this book going forward, though.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

So because he doesn't have a wife he's not worth saving?! He was still Steve's friend and was trying to help him.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    But I don't think women were as passive as you're making out. You do have, say, Annie Oakley, or figures like Carrie Nation, running into bars with hatchets and smashing up all the liquor. It wasn't the norm, but in a superhero AU you don't expect people to be average. We already have Elektra as one of Fisk's lackeys! I'd definitely like to see the women playing a more active role in the story, and forming an 1872 Avengers would be neat.
    AMEN! If people think that the women of the west weren't as tough or more so then a lot of the men, then they are sorely mistaken! A lot of women back then had to fight and fend for their families alone.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Still, a good issue all the same. Steve shooting Octavius was crazy, and the Civil War scene was very, very well done and may even incite some ridiculous controversy with the overly PC crowd who won't like seeing a hero take up for the South in a time where a segment of the population is trying to compare it to hitler's Germany, even in the very appropriate manner Tony did.
    What? Just... what?

Firstly this is the very definition of a straw man. Not only have you invented your opponent's argument, you have invented your opponent! There has been no controversy and there is nothing here to cause a controversy. But well done for taking that straw man down a peg, you really made him look silly.

Secondly, Tony supplies arms to the Union army allowing them to win... no one takes up for the South. He wants the North to win with as little bloodshed as possible - because what compassionate human being wouldn't? - but he still wants the Union to win.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm a westerns fan; I'm not much of Marvel fan anymore, an 'older reader' who gave Marvel decades of reading and began losing interest around Ultimates time. But this, from all your comments, begins to reawaken some Marvel interest-- please continue to point out the good points-- I'm already considering picking up these first two issues, just based on your commentaries here! thanks!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet