Super Moderator

Default CBR TV: Ed Piskor Says Making "Hip Hop Family Tree" is "Very Rewarding"

Cartoonist Ed Piskor spoke with CBR TV about his hacker mentality, the reasons he made his hip-hop series and why he gave Chali 2na the first copy.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

Strange...I expected multiple accusations of cultural appropriation...

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Mostly, I'd imagine because it's not. Ed's work with Hip-Hop Family Tree is pretty solid, he's not appropriating anything, he's written a history of hip hop, there's a huge difference. Also, from what I understand, the people he's written about tend to really like what he's done. Finally, it's worth noting that the kid's from the Homestead area which is a long suffering, poor rust belt community, just outside (with borders touching) of Pittsburgh. Homestead lies in the Mon-valley which is the area around Pittsburgh that most exemplifies the post-industrial wasteland of the Rustbelt even today. Anyway, I don't want to give him too much credit, but at the same time he's a guy from a poor as hell area who made some pretty accurate comics about the history of hip hop. In short, he's not some upper-middle class suburbanite, he grew up surrounded by hip-hop culture.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.