Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    But the fact that he seems not to know that, combined with the evidence of the majority of his filmography , paints a stark picture of what kind of director he is.

That's bull, say what you want, but the majority of his filmography shows him to be a pretty great director of actors. There was a good while where the only place you could find a good Ben Affleck performance was in a Kevin Smith movie. Ronda Rousey seems to have a natural charisma that you can see in interviews, it's not too hard to see her being able to play a role like Captain Marvel.

She can't act. I want an actual actress for the role. I don't understand why people keep saying, "but she can fight!" Okay? Captain Marvel isn't an MMA movie, she's a superpowered woman who fights sometimes on a cosmic level. Captain Marvel won't be about the fight scenes. I can buy into Black Widow just fine in all the movies she's been in, and I don't think Scarlett Johansson could fight. Why does real-life fighting experience matter in a movie? It doesn't.

No one said "Chris Evans can fight, he'd be perfect as Captain America!" Can Evans fight like Cap? No, and he doesn't need to, because he's an actor. I don't want a bunch of wrestlers and MMA fighters in superhero roles.* I want actors, because the human facet of the superheroes are more important than the fighting part. It's mostly stunts and/or CGI - I don't give a damn about the fighting capabilities or inabilities of the actor. I want someone who can portray the human, emotional side of these characters. Like Chris Evans' brilliant performances of Cap, or Hugh Jackman's dramatic portrayals of Wolverine.

I just can't imagine ever putting real-life fighting ability ahead of actual acting abilities. The Captain Marvel movie won't be Carol fighting for two hours straight - the role needs an actress, and Rousey isn't an actress. If she wants to be, she needs to develop that side of her and actually show that she can act. I don't care that she can fight. That's why it's called acting.

*There are exceptions, of course, mostly Dwayne Johnson who has been discussed in this thread. I think he's a good actor - I love watching him in his lighter stuff like San Andreas or his more dramatic turns, like Snitch. He's the exception for the athlete/wrestler thing, not the rule. It's like that scene from Rocky II where Rocky has trouble acting in the commercial and reading the cue cards. Some athletes are just that - athletes.

I want an actress for Carol. Carol is about a lot more than just the fight scenes. Her fighting abilities in real life are irrelevant.

Lastly, Rousey was terrible in Furious 7. Her "acting" was so bad it was distracting to the point of being comical.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman X View Post
    I wonder how many endorsements she will get after loosing her first fight? And she will, it's inevitable, if she is fighting the right people. That's what UFC was supposed to be about. Good fights. Right now I see her and keep thinking about the crash of Kimbo Slice. We won't know how good she is until she has to make it over a loss.
    She's never going to lose a fight.
    she's strongly been hinting that she's just waiting to fight Cyborg and then she's done. Which makes sense, the issue with her is she's so much better than every other female fighter. A drug free cyborg wouldn't even be much of a threat, because...well, she's been on stuff for so incredibly long once she loses the ped assisted strength she won't know what to do.
    The next generation of great females fighters is going to come after Rousey is gone, women who probably got into it inspired by her. The talent pool just isn't there now. She's gonna be fighting holly holm for craps sake, who has only had 2 fights in the ufc, against lower level fighter...that she won by decision.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I'm hoping Charlize Theron tries out for the part.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Extraordinary Member

I like Rousey but not for this. She could make a good villain maybe but not a lead role.