Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    DC has been doing really well with LGBT rep lately, imo, but I still kind of feel like this is a non-story. No one with any understanding of Wonder Woman as a character would think that she's a bigot, so this pretty much boils down to "Yay, DC acknowledges that gay people exist." Nice sentiment, but not exactly world shaking news.
    DC has long been the industry leader in LGBT representation.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    What’s the “authority” angle here?
    Is Wonder Woman/Diana a Justice of the Peace? Elected official? Ordained minister? (Greco-Roman pagan church?) Just curious….
    You can get a license to marry people over the internet in 5 seconds. Anybody can do it. Not to mention that anyone can actually officiate the wedding, if all the legal paperwork is done ahead of time or if they were pre-married by a justice of the peace and this is just the show wedding.

As for the book itself.. I'm fine with this.. but did we HAVE to go the old tried and true "All Amazons are lesbians and that's why we're cool marrying lesbians" route. Yes.. Themyscira is populated by women, but just because it's populated by women doesn't mean they're all off having orgies and getting married. While there may be a few Amazons that are homosexual, it doesn't need to be treated like it's a common thing that happens every day. It's not a prison, it's a population of women who just all live on an island together. They're sisters.. If Themysicra were an all male population, there would not be a rush to make them all gay and in relationships with each other. People would do whatever they could to avoid the reference but.. because it's lesbians and there is a majority of straight men that think girl on girl action is hot.. IT'S ORGY ISLAND!

It's a shame that the regular Wonder Woman series isn't as good as the Wonder Woman portrayed in Sensation Comics. THIS is the Wonder Woman that I grew up with, not the God of War version.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanscratches View Post
    It's a shame that the regular Wonder Woman series isn't as good as the Wonder Woman portrayed in Sensation Comics. THIS is the Wonder Woman that I grew up with, not the God of War version.
    Well now there's two versions for people who enjoy either or both. There can't be anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JanArrah View Post
    You can get a license to marry people over the internet in 5 seconds. Anybody can do it. Not to mention that anyone can actually officiate the wedding, if all the legal paperwork is done ahead of time or if they were pre-married by a justice of the peace and this is just the show wedding.

As for the book itself.. I'm fine with this.. but did we HAVE to go the old tried and true "All Amazons are lesbians and that's why we're cool marrying lesbians" route. Yes.. Themyscira is populated by women, but just because it's populated by women doesn't mean they're all off having orgies and getting married. While there may be a few Amazons that are homosexual, it doesn't need to be treated like it's a common thing that happens every day. It's not a prison, it's a population of women who just all live on an island together. They're sisters.. If Themysicra were an all male population, there would not be a rush to make them all gay and in relationships with each other. People would do whatever they could to avoid the reference but.. because it's lesbians and there is a majority of straight men that think girl on girl action is hot.. IT'S ORGY ISLAND!
    I think you're reaching here. I don't think the point is that "all Amazons are lesbian," but rather that since Themyscira is only inhabited by women, any marriages between Themyscirans are by definition same sex marriages. It's not about orgies or even what proportion of the population are lesbian; it's about when there are only women to marry, everyone who gets married is marrying a woman.

An island with only men would only have same sex marriages, too. When the society only has one sex present, you don't have another option.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Love this moment. Wonder Woman is all about love and compassion, which is pretty much everything that the same-sex marriage proponents aren't. Her officiating a same-sex wedding just makes sense.
    Umm... Do you mean opponents, not proponents? 'Cause there's a big difference.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 08-20-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Always Rakzo

What, are these big news?

Big deal, call me when Diana admits her Bisexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Big deal, call me when Diana admits her Bisexuality.
    Well, that will be like when Ricky Martin admitted he's gay.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    Well, that will be like when Ricky Martin admitted he's gay.
    Yes, is something that we all know but is better when they say it out loud.

John stewart sucks DevilsGambit's Avatar

Batman is handling divorce court.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterPL View Post
    If only the headline could have taken a cue from the comic and read Wonder Woman Officiates Wedding in 'Sensation Comics'.

And is my takeaway supposed to be that Clark is... disappointed that Wonder Woman supports "gay marriage?" Because his... hesitance in asking suggested that to me. (Not to mention he was making a statement, not asking a question. Poorly written dialogue, in my opinion.)
    yeah there's no way Superman, who is supposed to be the most compassionate superhero on the planet, is against gay marriage. i just took his question to mean that he didn't know Wonder Woman was so for it that she'd officiate a marriage.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Is it just me or does WW look like Penelope Cruz?
    No she looks like cosplayer Valerie Perez.

how's the weather back there in the 50s?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    yeah there's no way Superman, who is supposed to be the most compassionate superhero on the planet, is against gay marriage. i just took his question to mean that he didn't know Wonder Woman was so for it that she'd officiate a marriage.
    Well, compassion doesn't exactly mean he's open to gay marriage. After all, he's a living being - he's bound to have his opinions (whether they are right or wrong is another question).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.