Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Reloaded View Post
    It's not randomly activated if it was activated by a substance, i.e. terrigen
    yes it is randomly activated. the terrigene cloud is literally floating around the planet randomly transforming people into inhumans. that is not what terrigenesis is.

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
    Exactly!! The only people who hate the NuHumans are OTHER Inhumans, who believe they aren't worthy of the powers they ended up with.

you mean "muhuman"

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    yes it is randomly activated. the terrigene cloud is literally floating around the planet randomly transforming people into inhumans. that is not what terrigenesis is.
    That's exactly what terrigenesis (rebirth through terrigen) is. Unlike mutants, where changes occur spontaneously, Inhumans require a gene to be activated--hence, why terrigen was developed by early Inhumans.

Ceremony is only a cultural construct--one that we have seen the hidden tribes do much differently.

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

I also would hope that someone who isn't as aware of the Inhumans, but also interested in drawing their own conclusion from this debate, will actually read this thread and have a more solid understanding of what makes Inhumans... Inhuamans.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

That's exactly what terrigenesis (rebirth through terrigen) is. Unlike mutants, where changes occur spontaneously, Inhumans require a gene to be activated--hence, why terrigen was developed by early Inhumans.
    since you were the one earlier rudely asking if anyone had read the books, i'm happy to provide you a refresher course on what terrigenesis actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Comics Database View Post
    Even among the Inhumans, the Terrigenesis is not a common process and not every Inhuman will go through it. In the past, all Inhumans were allowed, producing "radical" and "monstrous" mutations, while damaging the Inhuman gene pool.[4]

In order to stop that genetic loss, every Inhuman had to go through a strict genetic screening before being allowed to go through the transformation. After "many millenia", that strict rule allowed the Inhumans to restore their genetic diversity.[4]

The Genetic Council had forbid any humans to go through Terrigenesis, due to the risk of uncontrolled mutations, and the genetic screening prohibited the Terrigenesis to any Inhuman with human lineage,[4]

As a general rule, Terrigenesis was predominately undertaken by older individuals. It is considered as a rite of passage, of a sort, not taken by every Inhuman[5] and restricted by genetic screenings.[4] Inhumans would prepare all their lives to undergo Terrigenesis.[1]

It is the choice of the parents (and especially the father)[8] to expose their children to Terrigenesis, or the one of older Inhumans, and most of the Inhumans go through the mutagenic process.[9]

for a supposed "fan" of inhuman, you seem to possess a woefully unfamiliar grasp on their concept.

for a supposed "fan" of inhuman, you seem to possess a woefully unfamiliar grasp on their concept.
    This.

The Inhumans used to be different from mutants, in that undergoing terrigenesis was a choice. Far from every Inhuman went through with it.

Then Black Bolt detonated the terrigen bomb, and now there is no choice. Anyone with inhuman heritage will be transformed, whether they will it to or not. Just like mutants.

How is this a difficult concept to grasp?

The Inhumans, from their very origin, are bootleg mutants (the Kree using an outside catalyst to trigger the dormant genetic power of humans instilled in them by the Celestials, a process that happens naturally in mutants). Now they're bootleg mutants in two ways.
    On ye olde CBR

Xx
    *RANT ALERT*

Honestly, I'm glad there's a thread for this discussion for a couple reasons: 1) I honestly get tired to having to avoid Inhumans threads like the plague every time an argument breaks out; and 2) I have a lot of things I would like to say about it, and now there's a place where I can without stomping all over discussion of either the X-Men or Inhumans, respectively.

First off, I'm a HUGE Inhumans fan and I have been for as long as I've been reading comics. I consider Black Bolt my favorite superhero of all time, and I genuinely love these characters, their unique stories. But I find myself confused whenever this X-Men vs Inhumans debate comes up. It's clearly a valid concern, otherwise it wouldn't be so prevalent, particularly with X-Men fans.

So, as an Inhumans fan, I obviously like the push they are getting. But do I want them to be like the X-Men? No, of course not. But I don't think that's what's happening.

The X-Men, and mutants in general, are humans that carry a dormant gene that awakens and gives them abnormal powers. They grew up as humans and suddenly are different, feared by their own families and the race they called their own; something lesser. A minority that's feared and sometimes outright hated. It's an amazing concept and story, but that's not what Inhumans are.

Inhumans get their powers from Terrigenesis, and not all Inhumans are granted permission to use the Terrigen Crystals to unlock their latent powers. Although stories of humans fearing them have been seen on more than one occasion over the course of their 50 year history, that's not what they're about. They aren't a metaphor for how we're different on the outside, but the same on the inside (like Mutants). Inhumans are a higher race, technologically advanced beyond human comprehesion; they don't fear humans, they fear themselves and what they would do to the powerless and war-hungry humans if conflict were to arise. That's why they formed their own society, because they believe themselves superior to humans, and that humans are in some ways lesser. They also believe that every Inhuman is "unique, therefore equal through Terrigenesis". Their stories were very secular, for the most part involving off-world events with minimal human interaction. This is the key difference between mutants and Inhumans. Or it was the key difference.

Over the 50 years of their history, the Inhuman city of Attilan has been transportable. It's been located in the Himalayas, the blue area of the Moon, and several other places; but always hidden from humans. This has been changed big time with the fall of Attilan and the Terrigen bomb. Now Inhumans are forced out of the shadows and into human scrutiny. But still, I don't think this makes them like X-Men. It's just a change-up to the normal routine that's been happening for the last 5 decades.

I blame the marketing Marvel used during the Inhumanity event for most of the outrage. They made it out like the Inhumans were going to replace mutantkind. That's not what has happened at all. Humans aren't actively fearing Inhumans (maybe NuHumans, to an extent, but not the classic Inhumans). In fact, Medusa allows humans to come to Attilan, and vice-versa, they're actually adjusting very well. The NuHumans are being sought out and embraced by the Inhumans because that is their duty to anyone who undergoes Terrigenesis, and they have to assure they aren't going to misuse the abilities that the council wasn't around to grant to them, among other reasons. Many of the NuHuman's families even moved to Attilan with them (like Dante's sister, and now her daughter). There are just more differences than there are similarities, IMO. As a fan of the Inhumans I still don't feel like the Inhumans have changed that much, in all honesty. But I COMPLETELY get the concern that X-Men fans feel, if the shoes was on the other foot I would probably react the same way.

Inhumans and mutants have always had several similarities, and it's true that they have more now than ever. But that doesn't mean they can't both exists, especially since they're covering much different ground. I'm hoping that The Uncanny Inhumans (and yes, the Inhumans have always been called uncanny...) will see a return to form to the more regal aspects of Inhuman life, and be much more inner-political, while All-New Inhumans will be just that, all-new, like the new direction Inhumans are being taken. The best thing they can do to get this issue resolved is to get Attilan out of the middle of NYC and away from humans, I think that would honestly alleviate some of the concerns from X-Men fans and show that Marvel does care about this very valid issue.

BTW: I love mutants too. I enjoy both, and as an Inhumans fan, I'm really glad that "the most uncanny heroes of all" are getting the attention I've always hoped they would.
    I just wish that the controversy wasn't getting in the way of readers seeing all the great things that the Inhumans have to offer to the Marvel Universe.
    Well, the "inhumans as a higher race" argument could apply to the eternals too, and where are they now? The thing is, this whole terragenesis thing happened recently; how much do humans know about the inhumans apart from medusa and crystal being on the ff or avengers? With all the different races popping up, maybe the mutants should be the least of the human's problems.

since you were the one earlier rudely asking if anyone had read the books, i'm happy to provide you a refresher course on what terrigenesis actually is.

Actually, most of what you highlighted is what is providing most of the conflict in Inhuman between the Royal Family and the hidden tribes. Hidden tribes and other Inhumans are upset because it should be an act of ceremony, but Black Bolt and Maximus set off the bomb removing the ceremony. But, you'd know this if you had read the books.

In the city of Attilian, just about everyone (except for a handful of specific individuals, such as Karnak) went through terrigenesis, unless their genetic markers were too weak. In the hidden tribes, they didn't have enough Terrigen crystals, so the amount of people to go through terrigenesis was much less and they were much more selective as to who went through the process.

But the act of Terrigenesis, or more specifically rebirth through terrigen, can be split into two events:

1) the coming of age ceremony that Attilian teenagers when through

2) the actual cocoon phase of the transformation where terrigenesis actually occurs.

There have also been stories and examples of it being called terrigenesis without the ceremony. For example, Luna in "Son of M."

So, just out of curiosity, does anyone expect this to be the way of Inhuman change from here on out?

This T-cloud floating around the Earth until the end of time, being the only way to transform into an Inhuman?

Or, is it not more likely that this is just a very large story-line that will interweave Inhumans and humankind together, before putting things back the way they were (to an extent), and allowing the Inhumans to have a greater presence on Earth?
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    The Inhumans used to be different from mutants, in that undergoing terrigenesis was a choice. Far from every Inhuman went through with it.

Then Black Bolt detonated the terrigen bomb, and now there is no choice. Anyone with inhuman heritage will be transformed, whether they will it to or not. Just like mutants.
    Kamala Khan's parents were mentioned as being completely unaffected by the mist despite being exposed, so not everybody transforms even with Inhuman genes. Plus, I believe it's mentioned that others have died from not surviving Terrigenesis.
    Last edited by Myetche; 08-20-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Kamala Khan's parents were completely unaffected by the mist despite being exposed, so not everybody transforms even with Inhuman genes. Plus, I believe it's mentioned that others have died from not surviving Terrigenesis.
    Yes, Dante's mother, for example, died in the cocoon stage -resulting in him and his sister's move to Attilan.
    And, just like Kamala's parents, Dante's sister was also unaffected by the mists.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

fantasy, or propaganda?
    Good point.

My God, can't we please stop with this, even just after Ray said to knock it off?

Only the lazy call Inhumans X-men knock offs. They are historically nothing alike.
    No one is saying that they are HISTORICALLY similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    Kamala Khan's parents were mentioned as being completely unaffected by the mist despite being exposed, so not everybody transforms even with Inhuman genes.
    Exactly- just like with mutantkind, it's completely random.

Dante's sister was also unaffected by the mists.
    Her unborn baby, on the other hand, was affected, and her womb substituted for a cocoon.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    They've obviously been trying to decrease the significance of the X-Men for a while now. When was the last X-Men video game released? Why no X-Men animated series since WATXM?
    Last video game? Destiny, 4 years ago. They have had more video games than any superhero save batman and maybe spider man.
    As for tv show, i am not sure but it may be a rights issue.

But the act of Terrigenesis, or more specifically rebirth through terrigen, can be split into two events:

1) the coming of age ceremony that Attilian teenagers when through

2) the actual cocoon phase of the transformation where terrigenesis actually occurs.

There have also been stories and examples of it being called terrigenesis without the ceremony. For example, Luna in "Son of M."
    and yet is the combination of 1 and 2 that makes the inhumans unique. as an "inhuman" fan, you would be expected to know that.

son of m was entertaining, if only to show quicksilver as a deadbeat dad who forced his only child to get high off of toxic gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Exactly- just like with mutantkind, it's completely random.
    That's the way it has ALWAYS been. Even in Attilan some Inhumans would be transformed by the mist, others killed, and some not affected at all.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES: