View Poll Results: Who's your favourite host/judge/presenter?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • JO BRAND (host of "An Extra Slice)

0 0%
  • MEL GIEDROYC

2 40.00%
  • MARY BERRY

0 0%
  • PAUL HOLLYWOOD

1 20.00%
  • SUE PERKINS

2 40.00%
  • STEPHEN NOONAN (season 1 voice-over)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(GBBO) the Great British BAKE OFF

I meant to make this at the start of the series; but we're only three episodes in; so thought I'd make this thread to celebrate the gloriousness of the "Bake Off". Personally I adore the Bake Off; it's so quintessentially British. With no prize (beyond the kudos) it has remained free of glory hogs. For all I know I'm the only one on CBR who watches it, lol.

[from Wikipedia] The Great British Bake Off, often referred to as simply Bake Off or GBBO, is a BAFTA award-winning British television baking competition first shown by BBC Two on 17 August 2010. The judges are cookery writer Mary Berry and professional baker Paul Hollywood. Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins have presented all series of the programme to date. The competition selects from amongst its contestants the best amateur baker.

The programme was moved to BBC One for its fifth series after it became the most popular show on BBC Two. Its increasing popularity is credited with reinvigorating interest in baking throughout the UK, Many of its participants, including winners, have gone on to start a career based on bakery.

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I remember watching a marathon of this show on my local PBS station here in Philadelphia a few months back and found it fascinating and entertaining.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Watched this sometimes, I think it was on Mondays, on PBS here. It only ran on a PBS substation here, so never got to see a good looking HD version of it.

Just caught up with last week's "An Extra Slice"; very funny as always. I'm not too sad to see Dorette go, she never had a strong week and was always near the bottom. SOOOOOOOOOO excited for "Desserts" this Wednesday.

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-03-2015 at 04:21 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Episode 5 tomorrow. God I hope Ian doesn't win again, Jamal needs some star baker love too!

Last night's episode was very fun, and Paul's Desert Island icecream cake was hilarious when he was sculpting with Sue. Though they sent the wrong person home, should have been Matt. He's been floating at the top of the fishbowl for a while.

Victorian Week was AWESOME; and yey Tamal won (I've picked him in the sweet stake to win).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-23-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Another season, more glorious cooking fun. I can't believe Mary Berry said "I'll have a munch on some carpet". HAHAHAHAHAHA! If only Sue had been there for that. Anyone got any favourites to win? I'm quite fond of Andrew.

EPISODE 1 - Cake Week
    [SB] Jane
    ~ eliminated: Lee

EPISODE 2 - Biscuit Week
    [SB] Candice
    ~ eliminated: Louise

EPISODE 3 - Bread Week
    [SB] Tom
    ~ eliminated: Michael

EPISODE 4 - Batter Week
    [SB] Benjamina
    ~ eliminated: Kate

EPISODE 5 - Pastry Week
    [SB] Candice
    ~ eliminated: Val

EPISODE 6 - Botanical Week
    [SB] Tom
    ~ eliminated: Rav

EPISODE 7 - Dessert Week
    [SB] Andrew
    ~ eliminated: Tom

EPISODE 8 - Tudor Week
    [SB]
    ~ eliminated:
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-05-2016 at 02:51 PM.

WOW! That was brutal. [SPOILERS AHEAD!!!] I have never, EVER seen Paul refuse to eat someone's bake. I've seen him spit out their food, but flat-out refuse? Another awesome episode and very, VERY excited about "batter week" next week. AMAZED Val is still clinging on. I felt Andrew should have won; he seemed stronger in his three bakes. In general it was a hard week, Paul is merciless when it comes to bread.

Extraordinary Member

I honestly hate all of the judges besides Mary, Paul just seems to moan about everything!

Hoping 4 Salasi or Candice to win.

Great British Bake Off: Mel and Sue to quit as hosts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37355065

Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc will step down as hosts of The Great British Bake Off when it moves to Channel 4. The duo have fronted the show since it began on BBC Two in 2010, alongside judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood.
    They said in a statement: "We made no secret of our desire for the show to remain where it was... we're not going with the dough." Love Productions, which makes the show, thanked them for "bringing their unique humour to the tent".

Giedroyc and Perkins said they were "very shocked and saddened" to learn Bake Off will be leaving the BBC. Their statement continued: "The BBC nurtured the show from its infancy and helped give it its distinctive warmth and charm, growing it from an audience of two million to nearly 15 [million] at its peak. "We've had the most amazing time on Bake Off, and have loved seeing it rise and rise like a pair of yeasted Latvian baps. We're not going with the dough. We wish all the future bakers every success."

Have only seen a portion, while waiting for food at a bar & grill; but, I have enjoyed Sue Perkins, on QI.

EPISODE 4 - Batter Week
    [SB] Benjamina
    ~ eliminated: Kate

What an interesting episode! I loved the Yorkshire puddings, so yummy. HOW is Val still there? (though she does make me chuckle). Not sad to lose Kate, all she did was whitter on about her family, her farm, her farm and her family. Not EVERY recipe needs to be linked to your bloody family, Kate! Poor Andrew, once again denied star baker! He has been on of the top the last three weeks, none of the last three star bakers have that good a track record. And if Rav condescendingly carts out yet another obscure food and patronizingly act like everyone knows what it is, I think I'll scream

Extraordinary Member

How is Rav still on it? He seems likeable but not so talented.

Oh my goodness, just found a place that reviews each episode. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

GBBO series 7: Episode 4 review
    http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/g...sode-4-review/

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    How is Rav still on it? He seems likeable but not so talented.
    True, but to give him credit he's more talented than Val. But BOTH seem to consistently be mediocre