Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Red Widow Arrives In Marvel's "Mockingbird" One-Shot

Red Widow will debut in September in a story by Margaret Stohl and Nico Leon before appearing in the novel "Black Widow: Forever Red."

Full article here.

BANNED

Interesting creation there. I'm intrigue where this could possibly go as I like the idea of becoming somebody like Black Widow voluntarily.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I dunno how to feel about this! Though I like that they're building up Black Widow's mythology, the description is curious - it says that Red Widow chose to become what she is, unlike Natasha. But that's not really true - Natasha did choose to become the Black Widow, it's just that what the choice entailed turned out to be a lot more manipulative and unjust than she thought.

I don't want to knock a new lady character, but this is like the fourth or fifth person that Natasha's tried to take under her wing in one way or another, and each time that happened in the past, they ended up either dying, going into limbo, or having their relationship ignored. (Sometimes, it was all three!) I'd be really upset if that happened all over again.

Also, I didn't think Forever Red was supposed to be canon to the comics?
    Last edited by responsarbre; 08-18-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

I'm cool with this. I love her character design and I'm intrigued to know more. Colour me interested!

Kind of interested in this idea so think I will keep my eye on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Darkseid doesn't invade with a fleet of ships. Darkseid chills on your couch, embarrasses and humiliates you, and won't leave. And he drinks everything in your fridge.

interesting.......definitely getting both books so we'll see how this character develops.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I don't want to knock a new lady character, but this is like the fourth or fifth person that Natasha's tried to take under her wing in one way or another, and each time that happened in the past, they ended up either dying, going into limbo, or having their relationship ignored. (Sometimes, it was all three!) I'd be really upset if that happened all over again.
    Who are the others?

My first reaction was that "she's Natasha's daughter from a harvested egg."
    Junior Braves of the Apocalypse - NOW AVAILABLE!

Spectacular Member

There goes the fan thoery of Ultimate Spider-Woman choosing Red Widow as her new name in All-New All-Different Marvel. Lol
    Current Pull List (updated for ANAD): Star Wars □ Darth Vader □ Lando □ Chewbacca □ Kanan □ uh... alot of ANAD but I still have decided what yet, lol

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Tanner View Post
    Who are the others?

Wasn't there a kid she mentored in a Secret Avengers one-shot a few years ago? I vaguely remember something like that, where she and Sharon Carter were trying to help some kid who was being trained as an assassin or something.

BANNED

I'm gonna saayyyy...her sister.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Tanner View Post
    Who are the others?

There was Rikki Barnes from Nomad: Girl Without a World (she died in Onslaught Unleashed), there was Angela del Toro from Tamora Pierce's White Tiger mini (she fell out of use/might be dead after Shadowland), there was X-23 (not dead, but their intended relationship was never shown on panel since X-23 was canceled and the Avengers Academy writers never brought it up, so it was ignored until Black Widow's last ongoing), there was Dagger in Marvel Knights (ignored), there was Tatiana from Kelly Sue DeConnick's Black Widow stories in the Heroic Age and Captain America and the Secret Avengers (ignored), and there was Sally Anne Carter from Richard Morgan's Black Widow stories (ignored).

Not to mention, there's also Yelena Belova who Natasha desperately tried to save from the world of spying, and only ended up turning into a superadaptoid and then dying in Secret Avengers without so much as a peep from Natasha.

I dunno how to feel about this! Though I like that they're building up Black Widow's mythology, the description is curious - it says that Red Widow chose to become what she is, unlike Natasha. But that's not really true - Natasha did choose to become the Black Widow, it's just that what the choice entailed turned out to be a lot more manipulative and unjust than she thought.
    I was about to say the very same thing. When I read things like that my first thought afterwards is "Ok, so you don't actually know very much about the character and people will be reading a story based off of your lack of knowledge of the character. Fantastic."

Bluebird

Oddly enough, I had a character in my head with the exact same name, but serving as an evil opposite to Nat. I'm glad that they're doing something better than that.

There was Rikki Barnes from Nomad: Girl Without a World (she died in Onslaught Unleashed), there was Angela del Toro from Tamora Pierce's White Tiger mini (she fell out of use/might be dead after Shadowland), there was X-23 (not dead, but their intended relationship was never shown on panel since X-23 was canceled and the Avengers Academy writers never brought it up, so it was ignored until Black Widow's last ongoing), there was Dagger in Marvel Knights (ignored), there was Tatiana from Kelly Sue DeConnick's Black Widow stories in the Heroic Age and Captain America and the Secret Avengers (ignored), and there was Sally Anne Carter from Richard Morgan's Black Widow stories (ignored).

Not to mention, there's also Yelena Belova who Natasha desperately tried to save from the world of spying, and only ended up turning into a superadaptoid and then dying in Secret Avengers without so much as a peep from Natasha.
    Though I think a lot of that stems from the fact that until very recently, Marvel wasn't interested in Natasha as a solo property. It's only in the last few years since Iron Man 2 that they really made a concerted effort to make her a solo player outside of the occasional mini-series. So a lot of the potential problems you mentioned should be fine just so long as there's a Black Widow series spinning out of Secret Wars as rumored.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

I like the design, and with the connection thing... I dunno, daughter? Maybe not. Maybe a niece or something.

Honestly, I'd love a team book with the Widows and Bucky together, with Nat and Bucky maybe doing some awkward parenting. Also, that couple existing again
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force