• Imperium

10 71.43%
  • Ninjak

2 14.29%
  • Bloodshot Reborn

4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Valiant Next: The Verdict

Now that I've finally wrapped up the first arc to every Valiant Next book, I'm super curious about what you guys think has been the best book to come out of Valiant's most recent publishing initiative. Feel free to post super long posts detailing what you've thought of every book involved! I can't speak for everyone, but for me, this is going to be hard because I seriously loved every single title.

To be clear, this is a poll for specifically the first arc of each series. Try not to take the second arcs of some books into account. And because I understand how hard it is to just choose one, I've made the option to vote for multiple books, but please don't pick any more than three. I originally intended to only choose one, but I couldn't help myself.

1. The Valiant
    2. Imperium
    3. Bloodshot Reborn
    4. Divinity
    5. Ivar, Timewalker
    6. Ninjak

EDIT: I know these are not really the same thing, but I guess I could've added X-O Manowar's 'Dead Hand' arc, and Unity's 'Homefront' arc, because both of those were also very good. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by TheFerg714; 08-21-2015 at 03:52 AM.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Fantastic Member

Imperium. Hands down. It may have benefited by being the closest tied to it's previous incarnation out of all these books, but just on levels of character, scope and artistic direction it was certainly my favorite. Ivar, Timewalker is probably right behind it for different reasons. Imperium was an introspective, dark examination of "villains" saving the world. Timewalker was a rip roaring adventure story and probably the best Doctor Who we've had in quite some time.

Incredible Member

Tough call as there are many excellent candidates. I opted for The Valiant. Great story, great art, and a lasting impact that spawned not just Bloodshot, Reborn but also the Book of Death event.
    I read Valiant Comics, and you should too!

Archer & Armstrong / Bloodshot USA / Divinity III / Faith / Generation Zero / Harbinger: Renegade / Ninjak / Savage

Anxiously awaiting: Bloodshot: Salvation / Britannia II / Harbinger Wars 2 / Psi-Lords / Secret Weapons / Shadowman / War Mother / X-O Manowar

Seriously, why aren't you reading Valiant Comics?

Incredible Member

In thinking about this poll, Valiant Next has been so good! It really has improved on the Valiant universe in so many ways and has easily surpassed what came before in terms of quality!!

There have been no bad books of those listed on the polls. The only negative thing about Valiant right now is the Unity book...it has really taken a turn for the worse. I think the book needs to go on a break and be replaced by a Livewire solo book or Livewire/GN-GR team-up.

As for the poll, I voted Imperium, Bloodshot, and Ninjak. The book I think is the best at any given time is the one I read most recently. They just keep one-upping each other. If you only gave us the choice to vote for one, I would have picked Imperium. I am really hoping Imperium and Harbinger become sister books and start coming out at the same time (both of course being written by Joshua Dysart). Has he only been writing one book at a time for the last three years?

I gotta go with Imperium. While every Next book is very, very good, I think this may be my favorite of ANY current title that I read. I certainly don't want to derail this thread with the conversation, but i'll be very curious(after another couple of arcs) to see where some of the more seasoned Valiant readers rank this book on the publisher's all-time list.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    i'll be very curious(after another couple of arcs) to see where some of the more seasoned Valiant readers rank this book on the publisher's all-time list.
    Judging by commentary I have read on the valiant fans boards, I am certain Imperium will be very high on the list amongst seasoned Valiant fans.

My concern with this book is the readership levels on this book have gotten dangerously low (7,200 copies in June), though not as dangerously low as Ivar (5,900 copies in June).

Imperium is the best book Valiant has published.

Hands down, Imperium.
    For me, that first arc was perfection.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Imperium is the best of the new crop. Unless you count The Delinquents, which I feel is the best overall book that Valiant has published.

I don't think I could cast a vote for just one. Imperium and Ivar, Timewalker are 1 and 1a for me. Flat out two of the best books out there right now from any publisher.

Bloodshot Reborn is right behind them as Lemire has done a brilliant job thus far reinventing the character. Then Ninjak would be a distant 3rd/4th (and I really liked the first arc).

While Divinity and The Valiant were both really good, I was a little disappointed in how each ended. Considering those were the only two miniseries of the group, they had the least resolution at the end.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    While Divinity and The Valiant were both really good, I was a little disappointed in how each ended. Considering those were the only two miniseries of the group, they had the least resolution at the end.
    While I liked both series, I feel that both of them never really lived up to the promise of their first issues and limped home to their conclusions. Divinity especially felt like a let down after such a great start. I'm glad that there's going to be a second series to explore that character more.