View Poll Results: Was Cyclops Right?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

142 76.76%
  • No

34 18.38%
  • I don’t really know enough to have formulated an honest opinion.

9 4.86%
Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Default Was Cyclops right?

I know this is really an X-Men thread, but I figure we’re all biased over there, and I wanted to get a more even distribution of X-Men to non-X-Men fans.
    So as Marvel fans, was Cyclops right?
    Last edited by Gambit, King of Thieves; 07-03-2018 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    I know this is really an X-Men thread, but I figure we’re all biased over there, and I wanted to get a more even distribution of X-Men to non-X-Men fans.
    Are you speaking specifically about AvX?

If so, I think like a lot of hero vs hero events he wasn't completely right and wasn't completely wrong. He was right about SOME things, but also made his share of mistakes.

He was right about Hope. And in the end they ended up doing what he initially wanted them to, which was get Hope the Phoenix and restor mutants. But where he was wrong was thinking Hope was ready when the Phoenix came for her. That's where the Avengers were needed to prevent Phoenix from taking Hope until she was properly prepared to control it.

By design, these hero vs hero conflicts are almost never made so that one side is completely right or wrong. So yes, he was right... about SOME things. And the Avengers ended up being right... about SOME things. To say one side or the other was ENTIRELY right isn't entirely looking at the whole picture.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Kind of. I’m more talking about what came after. AvX is a cesspool if wildly different opinions, none of them really invalid, but also not a whole lot of use debating.

Extraordinary Member

I think Scott wasn't altogether wrong on a lot of things, but he was also a former child soldier and a deeply traumatized man who didn't really have the perspective needed to realize that he was going about things in a detrimental way.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Of course he's right.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    I think you should write more detailed answers because as XPac stated, it depends what you're saying he's right about. "Cyclops was right" is the same phrasing as "Magneto was right," and I think this did a disservice to his character because I never thought Cyclops was an extremist. He was an activist that did nothing wrong until he was possessed by the Dark Phoenix. They killed off Jean Grey for the murders she commited as the Dark Phoenix, and wanted to punish Cyclops, so they took advantage of the mutant/inhuman debate and took him out like that. If it weren't from the bomb, they would have found another way. They should've done it at the hands of an X-Men villain like Jean Grey, and later retcon it to be someone else like Xorn. Maybe Mister Sinister has a Cyclops clone somewhere, or maybe it was really Scott's clone who died.

Extraordinary Member

As a matter of course, you can't be right if you are on the side that is opposing Captain America.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    As a matter of course, you can't be right if you are on the side that is opposing Captain America.
    In all fairness, Steve was wrong about some things too. But Steve made some adjustments and ended up doing what was needed to be done in the end. Like most hero vs hero stories, I think you can fairly say both the X-Men and Avengers made their share of mistakes throughout the story but in the end came together to save the world. Sometimes you need to break some eggs to make an omlette. Wasn't pretty but they got the job done.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In all fairness, Steve was wrong about some things too. But Steve made some adjustments and ended up doing what was needed to be done in the end. Like most hero vs hero stories, I think you can fairly say both the X-Men and Avengers made their share of mistakes throughout the story but in the end came together to save the world. Sometimes you need to break some eggs to make an omlette. Wasn't pretty but they got the job done.
    Pity one of the eggs that got broken was Prof X.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Invincible Member

Marvel was wrong to try and turn Scott into some sort of mutant Che Guevara

Mighty Member

Is Cyclops right is pretty vague...but on principle I'm gonna go with no.

Astonishing Member

I am assuming this is AvX, at which he was half right yes Hope could bring the Mutants back but he was wrong for saying no to Avengers help since in the end it required the Avengers help to I guess complete the training he started.

About other things like schism I guess I lean more to Cyclops since while I do get Wolverine not wanting to have children fight if they are in a position where they need to defend themselves or want to use their powers to help others then ya they should.

If it is about the Mutant revolution I really don't know what that was exactly was he trying to take over a place, or make it a symbolic revolution?

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Even if he wasn't, the story made him right. He was right about the Phoenix, he became a symbol even homo sapiens rallied behind.

I remember the creatives going on interviews saying "you got it wrong, he is wrong", but intention and result are two different things.

Mighty Member

Yeah. I really liked the part when he stole the phoenix force from everyone and started boiling oceans.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Nothing he did was really any different than Xavier, until AVX, and he was horribly wrong there.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier