Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Howard the Human, #1

Skottie Young and Jim Mahfood put together a well-constructed detective thriller but throw in all kinds of laughs and symbolism that make it even better in "Howard the Human" #1.

Full review here.

What a missed opportunity! They could have made Wilson Fisk a penguin, so then he can be "The King-guin"!

I really liked the animals, and the animals of heroes. The Monkey Ninja Hand was a great idea, and the blind mouse as Daredevil, with Mr Fisk the Gorilla. It looked like a very interesting version of Duck World, but different.

The book was better than the review but I guess that's normal. The art was great and the story was a lot of fun. I thought this was a good filler for the Howard story.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Spectacular Member

They should have made the Hand into turtles. That would have been totally meta. Otherwise, I really liked this.

This was completely average. Ducktor Doom must have been batcrazy to pluck this patchwork Zone from the What If selections. But since he did - the above commentary was right that this book should have gone bigger with the critter copy cleverness. The only real smart surprise moment was when Cat called the leader of the quintet of gunmen by his name Toomes! The Vulture! Of course!

Preview.
    HOWTH2015001-DC11-d5aa7.jpg
    Last edited by Bookem Danno; 08-24-2015 at 04:16 PM. Reason: link

"Every story is better with ninja monkeys and a blind mouse."
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

I didn't understand the ending of why Howard kept the possum stooley around to rat on all the players. But as the reviewer mentions, it was written tongue in cheek, so you are supposed to see it as a Bugs Bunny ending, not a detective story. It had more value as a play on words but using animals instead of people. What would you get if you made a world of animals with Marvel characters? They had an opportunity to include the Pet Avengers here, but I suppose the nature of the story precluded heavy handed ness, and required a stumbling gum shoes.