Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Default How would Xavier and/or Magneto have changed the story (New Avengers/Avengers and Secret Wars spoilers)??

So, for his New Avengers run, Hickman got pretty much everyone he wanted- Strange, Iron Man, Namor, etc, except for the X-men characters. Originally, Xavier was supposed to be part of Illuminati, but he was killed in AvX (ironically, since Hickman was the one that brought up "What's Xavier role there?" according to him). After that, he wanted Magneto, but since it wouldn't fit with Bendis All New X-men run, Hickman used Beast instead. And it was pretty clear it was the Illuminati member he was least interested in and played less of a role, IMO, and I think few will disagree.

So my question is, how do you think Xavier and/or Magneto would have changed the story? What impact would they have? And Magneto specifically would have been eager to blow up worlds and joined with Cabal or would he have been more restrained?

Incredible Member

Magneto would have joined Namor and Xavier would have taken the place of the fallen Beast. There also would have had been a better reason why they couldn't read the Swan's mind. Though Hickman would've given Magneto reflection on what he was going to do.

Fantastic Member

I wonder if Xavier was in charge of taking care of Cap's mind, if he wouldn't have thought to re-erase it after Original Sin. Also, I feel like just generally, if Xavier got as compromised morally as the rest of the Illuminati got, what he would have stooped to or been capable of. Or maybe he would have, in the end, stopped Namor with mind control, so that the Great Society planet killed 616 Earth. I'm sure Hickman wouldn't have done that, but I wonder how he would have handled that.

I think ultimately, everything was leading to a Reed/Doom story, so I don't see Xavier or Magneto being that integral to the story if they were in it. Yeah, maybe Xavier wipes Cap's mind but that's pretty much it. I think the Illuminati are too self-righteous to allow Magneto to join them and he never really had any history with them anyway. Beast made sense as Xavier's student filling in.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I don't see how Xavier or Magneto would have been much different than Beast. In the end the story was more about Reed and Doom (and Namor v T'Challa) than anything else. Xavier or Magneto wouldn't have changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I think ultimately, everything was leading to a Reed/Doom story, so I don't see Xavier or Magneto being that integral to the story if they were in it. Yeah, maybe Xavier wipes Cap's mind but that's pretty much it. I think the Illuminati are too self-righteous to allow Magneto to join them and he never really had any history with them anyway. Beast made sense as Xavier's student filling in.
    Hickman stated that his first pick as Xavier's replacement was Magneto. The Illuminati didn't choose Beast, Chuck made the choice for them. He could just as well have left his infinity gem to Magneto because he would have been the most capable of protecting it or something along those lines. Then, the Illuminati would have been forced to recruit him like they recruited Beast.
    On ye olde CBR

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    I don't see how Xavier or Magneto would have been much different than Beast. In the end the story was more about Reed and Doom (and Namor v T'Challa) than anything else. Xavier or Magneto wouldn't have changed that.
    Yeah, mutants, in general, really didn't have a dog in this fight. Beast did bupkis, not because Hickman didn't care about Beast, but because there wasn't much to do. Hickman really doesn't seem to have a lot of good ideas when it comes to mutants (see Cyclops' Phoenix Egg and stuff). He doesn't seem to give a rat's buttocks.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Not much would have changed I imagine.

Magneto would have been the obvious one to "pull the trigger" on blowing the earth and joining the Cabal... but that would have ruined the t'challa/namor thing going on so I doubt that would have happened.

He probably would have had a flashback to the jewish genocide and backed out at the last second too.

All Xavier would have complicated A LOT though with his telepathy. He'd have to be writtten off a ton (he could stop Namor if he wanted to, read Swan's mind, read Maximus mind, read Strange's mind when Maw was in control, ect).
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Not much would have changed I imagine.

Magneto would have been the obvious one to "pull the trigger" on blowing the earth and joining the Cabal... but that would have ruined the t'challa/namor thing going on so I doubt that would have happened.

He probably would have had a flashback to the jewish genocide and backed out at the last second too.

All Xavier would have complicated A LOT though with his telepathy. He'd have to be writtten off a ton (he could stop Namor if he wanted to, read Swan's mind, read Maximus mind, read Strange's mind when Maw was in control, ect).
    Well, i think that the flashback is what would make him take it and push the button himself before anyone had second thoughts about the bomb; it would be pretty similar to when he killed the Red Skull.

Niffleheim

Mag and Prof. X's presence wouldn't have mattered either way because the story wouldn't have been about them. Marvel should have just booked a room for Reed & Doom instead of creating a whole new universe for them to play hard to get and makeout.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough