All-New Member

Default Old comics I think I want to read but have no idea where to find them....

I was looking over the extended marvel reading order to see what there was going all the way back to the beginning. I have read quite a bit of old stuff when I was subscribed to marvel unlimited. But seen some stuff I never heard of and am curious about reading. Assuming there is a source available for this stuff. They are as follows: amazing man comics, amazing mystery funnies, the arrow, champion comics, crash comics, champ comics, lightning comics, stars and stripes, the eagle, cat-man comics, and super mystery comics. Any chance these are available in some form other than buying possibly expensive original issues? Thanks.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Try googling.

I just found this site that has public domain golden age comics, including Amazing Man Comics. I've never used them before so I can't vouch for it.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=71

There's another digital library comic collections, but I can't remember their site. Will dig around.

Marvel collects a surprising amount of their golden age Timely / Atlas books in Marvel Masterworks. Some of Bill Everett's non-Marvel work (Amazing Man's creator) has been collected by Blake Bell in his Bill Everett Archives.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/series/...rett-archives/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

All-New Member

Oh neat, I hadn't considered they would be public domain. I'll check those sites out and I look forward to the other site when you find it. Thanks.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I can't find that other site I thought I had bookmarked. But I found this elsewhere on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Try Comic Book Plus - they are an online archive of public domain books, and they work hard to ensure that their content is only stuff that is in the public domain. And if you are thinking of using something they don't have listed, if you ask on their forums, I am sure they'd be able confirm whether it is p.d. or not.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Most of what you list there isn't from Timely/Atlas/Marvel. If you want print for some of that, I suggest searching online for AC Comics Golden Age Greats, Golden Age Men of Mystery and Golden Age Greats Spotlight collections. They are black & white reprints of public domain Golden Age Comics. They reprinted a ton of great stuff, including stuff from Quality, Holyoke, Magazine Enterprises, Centaur, Fox, Standard, Lev Gleason, and other prominent Golden Age-era publishers. Golden Age Greats Spotlight had at least one collection devoted to Centaur, which should have some Amazing Man and Arrow. The aforementioned AC collections have featured such characters as the Black Terror (with Jerry Robinson and Mort Meskin art), Avenger (with Dick Ayers art), Black Condor (with beautiful Lou Fine art), Phantom Lady (with Matt Baker art), Crimebuster (Charles Biro art), Ghost Rider (the western version, with Dick Ayers), Cat-Man, Daredevil (the Biro original), Rio Rita, Fighting Yank (Robinson and Meskin, again), and many, many more.

All-New Member

Cool beans. I have a good start I think I got complete issues of amazing-man now so I'm going to start with them. I am assuming that there is some sort of origins of some kind in the issues since the complete marvel reading order listed them. But aside from that I'm interested in seeing how good or bad the old comics are.

I can vouch for Digital Comics Museum.
    Matter of fact, there's so much there to read that I often spend more time trying to figure out what to read (or where to start) than actually reading.

Amazing Member

That is an excellent site.Lots of golden age,in public domain.

Amazing Member

The read comics online site, has a fe golden age runs.One can spend months on it.