Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Dark Knight III," "Huck," "Ms. Marvel" & More in CBR's Buzzworthy Books of November

Frank Miller's legendary Batman saga continues, Kamala Khan is back at Marvel and Jason Aaron, Mark Millar and Marjorie Liu launch new Image books.

Full article here.

BANNED

No mention of All-New Wolverine? FAIL.

"Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur" could potentially appeal to the same fan base that made a sensation out of "Ms. Marvel,"
    What are they saying here? Probably the write up would have been better without this line. It implies that the popularity of KK is based merely on gender and identity politics, as if the good writing and great art were irrelevant.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    What are they saying here? Probably the write up would have been better without this line. It implies that the popularity of KK is based merely on gender and identity politics, as if the good writing and great art were irrelevant.
    My 12 year old daughter came to Ms. Marvel for the gender and identity politics (and the lack of being mired in continuity)...she stayed for the great writing and great art...

Perhaps MG&DD will be the same...

Amazing Member

Suddenly the Finnish capital is a threat to clones?

Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    The reason the a lot of people initially picked up Ms. Marvel was because it featured a young girl who was different. That's really all it takes for people to be interested. The great writing and art were what kept people reading. A lot of attention/controversy came from the Kamala's ethnicity and culture along with the fact that she was taking in the name of an already established character. Moon Girl has a lot of similar things going for her. There are many people whose ethnicity/culture plays a large part in their identity formation. Having one or two books like this in a sea of ethnic homogeny, that dominates both Marvel and DC, helps bring new readers in and gives them an opportunity to immerse themselves in the worlds these comics take place in.

I hope this doesn't come off as condescending. I re-read my post and realized that I sounded like someone from tumblr. I was merely trying to explain why people might gravitate towards a book like this like they gravitated to Ms. Marvel.
    Last edited by Child of the Past; 08-22-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

The gender and identity elements in Ms Marvel are part of the great writing and art. It's not an awesome comic that just happens to deal with gender and identity issues or involve a young woman, it is a great book in part because of how it involves those aspects. And Moon Girl may involve similar aspects and a similar level of quality.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member

No, Helsinki is a threat to humanity. Depressing, tiny and cold.

I understand and agree with the need for a more diverse comic universe but why must they replace existing characters with new ones? Where is the creativity of this industry? They no longer create, instead they simple, lazily re-package. A perfect example would be the new Ms. Marvel vs the New Nova. Ms. Marvel took the role of a character that had moved on from the Ms. Marvel title. Ms. Khan speaks from a new, exciting and creative point of view that has been lacking in Marvel. They didn't trample the past to build a future, and out of it all has come a beloved and really awesome character. Then you take the new Nova, came about from a company edict, is a cookie cutter Peter Parker ripoff, void of any originality and directly led to the demise of Richard Rider, a character who had grown and reached epic levels with the Annihilation War. Why must they force a round peg in a square hole? Why must they alienate older fans in a push to make new? Why can't they do what this industry was once built on and create new, magical and beloved characters?

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Of all the buzzworthy books of November listed here, the top 5 I'm most interested in are:

Monstress
    Huck
    Ms. Marvel
    All-New, All-Different Avengers
    Orphan Black: Helsinki

One that wasn't listed that I'm really looking forward to is Dark Horse's Kingsway West. I'm interested in Batman: Europa, Superman: American Alien, and Dark Knight III: The Master Race as well, but I would rather read them in trade paperbacks.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of Reason View Post
    I understand and agree with the need for a more diverse comic universe but why must they replace existing characters with new ones? Where is the creativity of this industry? They no longer create, instead they simple, lazily re-package. A perfect example would be the new Ms. Marvel vs the New Nova. Ms. Marvel took the role of a character that had moved on from the Ms. Marvel title. Ms. Khan speaks from a new, exciting and creative point of view that has been lacking in Marvel. They didn't trample the past to build a future, and out of it all has come a beloved and really awesome character. Then you take the new Nova, came about from a company edict, is a cookie cutter Peter Parker ripoff, void of any originality and directly led to the demise of Richard Rider, a character who had grown and reached epic levels with the Annihilation War. Why must they force a round peg in a square hole? Why must they alienate older fans in a push to make new? Why can't they do what this industry was once built on and create new, magical and beloved characters?
    Because have proven that they don't read books about new characters. It has been shown numerous times that people large more likely to read books about characters who take on the mantle of other characters as opposed to characters with new/original identities. The case of Nova is interesting. The new nova is the son of a previous nova. I think the lack of originality comes from the writer in charge of the book. The character seems like he could have been interesting as his story could have focused more living up to his father's legacy. The real problem with the Nova situation was what happened to Richard Rider. I'm not sure why they couldn't just say he was still in the cancerverse and left it at that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    No mention of All-New Wolverine? FAIL.
    yeah it's bizarre that didn't get a mention at all but call of duty did?...-_-

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

It's important to remember that Richard Rider was in no way a complete repetition of Peter Parker motifs. designed to appeal to a new generation. Richard Rider was a totally original and not at all commercially-angled creation.

They just made up this new guy.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    It's important to remember that Richard Rider was in no way a complete repetition of Peter Parker motifs. designed to appeal to a new generation. Richard Rider was a totally original and not at all commercially-angled creation.

They just made up this new guy.
    That's typically how it works in comics.

It's typical in "TODAYS" comics. Sadly.