View Poll Results: What is your favourite LGBT lead series?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Horror Story

5 10.00%
  • Angels in America (2003)

1 2.00%
  • Brideshead Revisited (1981)

0 0%
  • the Ellen DeGeneres Show

3 6.00%
  • Glee

1 2.00%
  • the L Word

3 6.00%
  • Modern Family

4 8.00%
  • Noah's Arc

0 0%
  • Orange is the New Black

10 20.00%
  • Queer as Folk (UK)

4 8.00%
  • Queer as Folk (US)

5 10.00%
  • RuPaul's Drag Race

2 4.00%
  • Sense8

8 16.00%
  • Vicious

0 0%
  • Will & Grace

4 8.00%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

LGBT TV Appreciation (and Celebration)

I've been meaning to make this thread for a while. Akin to our LGBT Marvel Characters Appreciation (http://community.comicbookresources....s-Appreciation); this is a thread where we can discuss and celebrate LGBT characters or LGBT driven shows in a safe environment -- so to be clear this is an APPRECIATION thread, if you are not appreciating then this is not the place for you. I’ll try to update the thread as best I can; and keep the OP list full of "landmark moments" in TV for LGBT characters. Apologies in advance to anyone who feels their favourite LGBT show is missing from the poll; I only had 15 slots and had to "guess" which are the major shows. I tried to focus on LGBT lead TV series (so as much as I adore Willow and Dr. Kerry Weaver; they were not the leads of their show).

I think what spurned me on is both judging panels in the Voice and X-factor now have an openly gay judge (Boy George and Nick Grimshaw); add to that Sue Perkins is one of the lead hosts of the Great British Bake-Off, it's good to see more and more LGBT people in major TV shows of note.

Key historical moments in LGBT TV history:
    1967 - ABC becomes the first network to air a gay-themed episode; N.Y.P.D. featured an episode where the police must track down a blackmailer who is targeting gay men, prompting several suicides among his victims.
    1972 - the Corner Bar (a sitcom) becomes the first series with a recurring gay character; Vincent Schiavelli playing an openly gay bar patron
    1975 - Hot L Baltimore becomes the first series to depict a recurring gay male couple; George and Gordon
    1985 - Terry Sweeney becomes the first openly gay cast member of Saturday Night Live
    1989 - An episode of thirtysomething made headlines when it showed two men in bed together. Unfortunately, though the two gay characters starred in this episode, afterward they more or less vanished from the show.
    1991 - the first lesbian kiss on television; L.A. Law between Abby (Michele Greene) and C.J. Lamb (Amanda Donohoe)
    1996 - the first lesbian wedding on television occurred in Friends, between Ross' ex-wife Carol and Susan
    1997 - Ellen DeGeneres comes out as a lesbian on the Oprah Winfrey Show; soon after her character of Ellen came out in her show to a therapist (played by Oprah Winfrey) in "the Puppy Episode" (SEE: below). This made her the first openly lesbian actress to play an openly lesbian character on television
    1998 - Julie Hesmondhalgh first began to play Hayley Anne Patterson, British TV’s first transgender character.
    1999 - Russel T. Davis' Queer As Folk debutés on Channel 4 (SEE: post #9)
    2003 - First lesbian love scene on network TV, between Willow (Alyson Hannigan) and Kennedy (Iyari Limon) on Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    2005 - the Simpsons became the first cartoon series to dedicate an entire episode to the topic of same-sex marriage.
    - 9 August, the Logo cable channel hosts the first presidential forum in the United States focusing specifically on LGBT issues. [SIZE=1]Six Democratic Party candidates participate in the event. GOP candidates were asked to
    - Ellen DeGeneres became the first open lesbian to host the Academy Awards
    - the first openly transgender actress to play a recurring transgender character in prime time; Carmelita Rainer (played by Candis Cayne), a transgender woman having an affair with married New York Attorney General Patrick Darling (played by William Baldwin), on the ABC prime time drama Dirty Sexy Money.
    2008 - Rachel Maddow became the first openly LGBT anchor of a major prime-time news program in the United States; hosting The Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC.
    2011 - Chaz Bono appeared on the 13th season of the US version of Dancing with the Stars. This was the first time an openly transgender man starred on a major network television show for something unrelated to being transgender.
    - Kate McKinnon became Saturday Night Live's first openly lesbian cast member; Danitra Vance never disclosed her sexual orientation publicly, but was revealed to be a lesbian when she died.
    - the London Olympics opening ceremony included the first ever lesbian kiss at the Olympics; and since the ceremonies were aired around the world, this was the first same-sex kiss shown in some Middle Eastern nations.
    - The first same-sex kiss ever on a Eurovision stage occurred at the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest, when Krista Siegfrids, who sang "Marry Me", ended her semi-final performance by kissing one of her female dancers.
    - Andy Herren became the first openly gay winner of the American version of the Big Brother reality show.
    - Good Luck Charlie on The Disney Channel became the first TV show on a child-targeting network to feature a same-sex couple (the characters' names were Susan and Cheryl)
    - Laverne Cox became the first openly transgender person to be nominated for an Emmy in an acting category: Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for her role as Sophia Burset in Orange Is the New Black.
    - BBC2 commissioned Britain’s first transgender sitcom, called Boy Meets Girl, which follows the developing relationship between Leo, a 26-year-old man and Judy, a 40 year-old transgender woman.
    - Zoey Tur joined INSIDE EDITION as a Special Correspondent during February, thus becoming the first openly transgender television reporter on national TV in America
    - Lance Bass and Michael Turchin became the first same-sex couple to exchange vows on cable television.
    - Scott Turner Schofield became the first openly transgender actor to play a major role on daytime television, as the character Nick on the show The Bold and the Beautiful
    - Hayden Byerly and Gavin MacIntosh featured in what was said to be the youngest same-sex kiss ever on American television, when their 13-year old characters Jude and Connor locked lips on the ABC Family drama The Fosters.

List of dramatic television series with LGBT characters
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GBT_characters

N.B. "The Puppy Episode"
    By the end of the third season of Ellen, producers were becoming frustrated by the series' lack of focus and the lack of interest that the character Ellen Morgan displayed toward the standard sitcom tropes of dating and relationships. One producer suggested that since the character showed no inclination toward dating, she should get a puppy. "It was an indication of just how lost the show was that network executives would be excited by Ellen buying a puppy", said executive producer Mark Driscoll.

The episode was ranked #35 on TV Guide* '​s 100 Greatest Episodes of All-Time.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 09-03-2015 at 03:36 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

The 1st GLAAD Media Awards were held in New York City in 1990
    Outstanding Daytime Drama: As the World Turns
    Outstanding Comedy Series: Doctor Doctor
    Outstanding Drama Series: L.A. Law and Heartbeat (tie)
    Outstanding Comedy Episode: The Tracey Ullman Show
    Outstanding Drama Episode: thirtysomething
    Outstanding TV Documentary: Common Threads: Stories from the Quilt
    Outstanding TV Mini-Series: The Women of Brewster Place
    Special Recognition: Out in the 90's (broadcast by Gay Cable Network)

Current 2015 LGBT main cast members TV Series:
    UK
    Downton Abbey
    the Great British Bake-Off [REALITY TV SHOW]
    Vicious
    the Voice [REALITY TV SHOW]
    X-factor [REALITY TV SHOW]

US
    the Ellen DeGeneres Show [DAYTIME CHAT SHOW]
    Empire
    Grace & Jackie
    Modern Family
    Orange is the New Black
    RuPaul's Drag Race [REALITY TV SHOW]
    Sense8

List of LGBT characters in television and radio
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sion_and_radio

List of animated television programs with LGBT characters
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GBT_characters

N.B. The GLAAD Media Award is an accolade bestowed by the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) to recognize and honor various branches of the media for their outstanding representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community and the issues that affect their lives
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-25-2015 at 06:38 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

The only one from the poll I've seen is Queer as Folk UK, plus an episode of Ellen and Glee and clips from Modern Family.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I actually don't care that much for any of the shows on the poll. My fave gay characters on tv are Ray Gillette on Archer, Connor on How To Get Away With Murder and Agron the gay gladiator that was on Spartacus.

I voted for will and grace because it was really the first time I ever saw gay people on TV where they didn't die horribly and I love them for that.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

hey Thanks for the poll Kieran! I voted for QAF (US), much as I love Drag Race (and I have yet to watch Sense8). Much as Will and Grace/ Ellen / Oz / Six Feet Under were groundbreaking for mainstream tv I think QAF (although niche) showed the broad spectrum of issues quite well and for some reason the UK version didn't quite gel with me.

Queer as Folk (UK), without a doubt.

Good show.

I've updated the OP a bit; but still got a way to go. Would love any suggestions of what people would like to see highlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Queer as Folk (UK), without a doubt.
    Queer as Folk (UK) – LGBT TV History
    http://www.tqsmagazine.co.uk/queer-a...bt-tv-history/

I mentioned Queer as Folk in a previous post about its creator Russel T Davies but I think it’s about time this groundbreaking TV programme got its own post. British LGBT TV history can be talked about in terms of pre/post-Queer as Folk such was its impact on gay programming. It was the first show of its kind, a Queer as Folkno-holds barred glimpse into contemporary gay life, with storylines including; being ‘out’ in the workplace, gay parentage and gay sex.

Queer as Folk first hit our screens back in 1999 on Channel 4, it follows the lives of three gay men living in Manchester; Stuart, Vince and Nathan. Stuart is a powerful, beautiful and always gets we he wants, his best friend Vince is a lot more reserved and gentle but hopelessly (and unrequitedly) in love with Stuart. Vince’s affectations are put under further strain when young Nathan comes along and starts a relationship with Stuart. The series takes us on the journey of these three men’s intertwined relationships with each other.

The show provoked somewhat of a media storm and was even publicly denounced by gay rights group Stonewall for portraying negative stereotypes of gay men. This is a criticism often thrown at QAF and granted, there’s a lot of drug use, a lot of promiscuity and some would argue, little else but like it or not, this is a part of gay culture that exists and all Davies did was portray three men living in it. Ultimately, the more nuanced and diverse gay programming that we’re seeing today would not have been possible if it weren’t for Queer as Folk,

Queer as Folk only lasted 2 short series on British TV but was picked up by the Americans who created their own version. The first series was almost identical to the British version, albeit slightly more glamorous, but as the series continued for 5 series it really came into its own with interesting plotlines and character development.

The series can be watched for free on 4od, here.

Awesome thread. Great work.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I voted for Modern Family. I love the show so much (Frasier is my second favourite TV series ever, and it's the same creators/writers). Everything about Mitch and Cam make me smile; and the two part "the Wedding" has me in tears everytime. Such a beautiful end to season 5.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    hey Thanks for the poll Kieran!
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Awesome thread. Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I voted for will and grace because it was really the first time I ever saw gay people on TV where they didn't die horribly and I love them for that.
    THIS! I think that's one of the reasons I loved Dr. Kerry Weaver in ER, she was a leader, she rose and rose in her career, and was just a damn good actress. Loved every story arc about her.

Though for me, the first "gay" character I remember seeing on a show I watched was on Due South. Now while it was never confirmed, the subtext between Benton and Ray (2nd ray) was... so hot. And the show knew it, they played on it a lot. So many episodes were just slashy goodness. They even rode off into the sunset together at the very end.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I'm assuming the Ellen DeGeneres Show I voted for was her talkshow. I love her talkshow, her style of observational humor is one I like and her interview skills are good.

I also liked Will & Grace, I know people complain about them being somewhat stereotyped but they were all stereotypes including the drunken rich woman and the dumb pretty girl. The first seasons are better and I can do without the Will and Grace might have a baby arc just in how nasty the characters got to each other. But like Silvermoth said, they were gay characters each week and nothing violent or deadly happened in the end and it was largley without that angst that 90s/00s gay stuff had..

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I voted for Modern Family. I love the show so much (Frasier is my second favourite TV series ever, and it's the same creators/writers).
    Fraiser was a smart series. I like the reruns better than Cheers It was also pretty gay behind the scenes with Niles, Bulldog, Gil Chesterton and I believe Martin all played by gay actors. And with the jokes about Frasier seeming a little too cultured to be straight came gay guest characters but not in a demeaning way. He always worried about letting them down easy and didn't get all "ew" about it.

Golden Girls may be the first time I saw a gay character and one deal with coming out, Blanch's brother Clayton came out to her and later married a cop. They also had a friend of Dorthy (no pun intended) who was a lesbian that had a crush on Rose and in another episode they're backing a man for office who claims to have had an affair with Blanch to boost his image as he's so closed off to people because he's hiding the fact that he was a trans-man (Sophia new he was hiding something- "He's Italian"). Dorthy also had a cross-dressing brother, Phil.

BANNED

How could you forget Lost Girl?

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

The first exposure to LGBT characters were on Prime Time soaps. I think Lucy Ewing had a boyfriend who turned out to be gay as early as 1979 on Dallas. And of course Stephen Carrington as the tentative homosexual in Dynasty - who prompted my gran to explain what being gay was to 13 year old me ( one plays the 'woman' she said).

Jeez...

My So-Called Life. Forward for the time, and still is light years ahead of most of the list thus far.

Come to think of it, The Strain should get a spot on the list.