View Poll Results: What is your favourite LGBT lead series?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Horror Story

5 10.00%
  • Angels in America (2003)

1 2.00%
  • Brideshead Revisited (1981)

0 0%
  • the Ellen DeGeneres Show

3 6.00%
  • Glee

1 2.00%
  • the L Word

3 6.00%
  • Modern Family

4 8.00%
  • Noah's Arc

0 0%
  • Orange is the New Black

10 20.00%
  • Queer as Folk (UK)

4 8.00%
  • Queer as Folk (US)

5 10.00%
  • RuPaul's Drag Race

2 4.00%
  • Sense8

8 16.00%
  • Vicious

0 0%
  • Will & Grace

4 8.00%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I don't know. It seems like certain characters have earned the chance to just ride off into the sunset.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Apparently the upcoming remake series of Xena will have a maintext relationship between Xena and Gabrielle. According to showrunner Javier Grillo-Marxuach, in a recent Tumblr post:

"There is no reason to bring back Xena if it is not there for the purpose of fully exploring a relationship that could only be shown subtextually in first-run syndication in the 1990s."

So there's that. As an old-time Xena fan, though, I can attest that any Xena and Gabrielle not played by Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor is going to be a very hard sell... *especially* in view of the relationship between them.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Apparently the upcoming remake series of Xena will have a maintext relationship between Xena and Gabrielle. According to showrunner Javier Grillo-Marxuach, in a recent Tumblr post:

"There is no reason to bring back Xena if it is not there for the purpose of fully exploring a relationship that could only be shown subtextually in first-run syndication in the 1990s."
    YEY!!!! This is wonderful news!

So there's that. As an old-time Xena fan, though, I can attest that any Xena and Gabrielle not played by Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor is going to be a very hard sell... *especially* in view of the relationship between them.
    Agreed. They need to resist trying to make Xena in a Game of Thrones world. Be respectful to the females in it, and don't make either Xena or Gabrielle have to wipe out their t*ts for male viewer ratings
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Agreed. They need to resist trying to make Xena in a Game of Thrones world. Be respectful to the females in it, and don't make either Xena or Gabrielle have to wipe out their t*ts for male viewer ratings
    "The Hunger Games"/Katniss Everdeen is the comparison that the show's people keep mentioning. I'm not sure what they mean by that, unless it's that they plan to show Xena's rise from local village girl to warlord to superheroine. In the TV show she was a badass from the start, and her backstory was told through flashback episodes.

But if so, that would mean Gabrielle is with her right from the start, which would make the whole "Evil Xena" period difficult. And jettisoning that part of her history would alter the character fundamentally, though maybe that's what they plan.

For fans of the old show and the X/G relationship, Grillo-Marxuach's above comment is especially welcome because he's working directly with Rob Tapert, the creator and showrunner of the original series. If JGM is comfortable saying that in public it means Tapert must be on board with it... which finally constitutes official, public, on-the-record confirmation from TPTB that Xena and Gabrielle were intended to be a couple. (By season 6 it was obvious beyond the doubt of even the most stubborn denier, and admitted by several writers and by the stars themselves, but they still could never come out and just SAY it officially. We subtexters have been waiting 20 years for this victory.)

"The Hunger Games"/Katniss Everdeen is the comparison that the show's people keep mentioning. I'm not sure what they mean by that, unless it's that they plan to show Xena's rise from local village girl to warlord to superheroine. In the TV show she was a badass from the start, and her backstory was told through flashback episodes.
    Hmmm... I don't love the comparison, purely because the Hunger Games takes so much from LGBT culture, yet didn't respect LGBT people enough to reveal any of the characters were LGBT in the films (unless there was a reveal in the last one, I haven't watched it, first one was AMAZING, second... eh).

For fans of the old show and the X/G relationship, Grillo-Marxuach's above comment is especially welcome because he's working directly with Rob Tapert, the creator and showrunner of the original series. If JGM is comfortable saying that in public it means Tapert must be on board with it... which finally constitutes official, public, on-the-record confirmation from TPTB that Xena and Gabrielle were intended to be a couple. (By season 6 it was obvious beyond the doubt of even the most stubborn denier, and admitted by several writers and by the stars themselves, but they still could never come out and just SAY it officially. We subtexters have been waiting 20 years for this victory.)
    They were the Mystique/Destiny of TV.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Hmmm... I don't love the comparison, purely because the Hunger Games takes so much from LGBT culture, yet didn't respect LGBT people enough to reveal any of the characters were LGBT in the films (unless there was a reveal in the last one, I haven't watched it, first one was AMAZING, second... eh).
    I haven't watched all the movies, but I've read all the books. IIRC Cinna was gay... he was Katniss's stylist in the games, played by Lenny Kravitz in the movies. (Of course the stylist would be the gay one.)

The closest thing Katniss had to a Gabrielle would be Peeta, and he is definitely a sausage and not a bun.

I suspect the comparison has to do with wanting to start Xena off as an underdog, and not large and in charge right from day one like she was in the original series.

I haven't watched all the movies, but I've read all the books. IIRC Cinna was gay... he was Katniss's stylist in the games, played by Lenny Kravitz in the movies. (Of course the stylist would be the gay one.)
    Maybe in the books, to my knowledge the films made no such confirmation (again, unless he came back from the dead in the 3rd)

I suspect the comparison has to do with wanting to start Xena off as an underdog, and not large and in charge right from day one like she was in the original series.
    I do agree starting her out as not "the ultimate" gives her somewhere to go; makes the victory all the sweeter.

I do agree starting her out as not "the ultimate" gives her somewhere to go; makes the victory all the sweeter.
    If that's the case, then I'm confident in saying the new series will retain none of the original's storyline or character history. Which is probably a good thing... then maybe I can just pretend it's a completely original series where the characters just happen to have the same names.

If that's the case, then I'm confident in saying the new series will retain none of the original's storyline or character history. Which is probably a good thing... then maybe I can just pretend it's a completely original series where the characters just happen to have the same names.
    She can still be the ultimate warriors woman, but just not PROVEN the ultimate (or the biggest bad-ass against mortal, but when it comes to demons and gods she can (currently) still be beaten). Still... I'm very happy for all the Xena/Gaby fans, who supported and loved their relationship. Plus more warrior women on TV is always welcome (as long as it's empowering, not cheesecake).

So I've just started watching the US House of Cards; already bombed it through season 1 and 2... and (it's hard to mention it in this thread WITHOUT giving the game away, but) spoilers:
    the lead, Francis (played by Kevin Spacey) is bisexual
    end of spoilers. Surprising, and pleasing; but best of all NOT gratuitous. Now THAT is a character I can get behind. There's some other LGBT characters too, but that one made me truly smile.

My husband is bombing through the boxset of "Will&Grace". I love Karen but I think the reason I never connected to the show was Grace. She's such an unlikable character. Thank god for Karen making every episode worth it

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

My husband is bombing through the boxset of "Will&Grace". I love Karen but I think the reason I never connected to the show was Grace. She's such an unlikable character. Thank god for Karen making every episode worth it
    I just did a massive rewatch a few weeks back. I forgot how horrifyingly straight the last episode was. Other than that, so much gold.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I just did a massive rewatch a few weeks back. I forgot how horrifyingly straight the last episode was. Other than that, so much gold.
    Agreed. Really sent the message "this is how it should have been".

I think it's nice to see, that out of douzens of couples from a lot of tv shows, the final couples from E "TV's Top Couple" are both LGBT.
    http://www.eonline.com/news/760784/t...he-final-round
    Last edited by Wiccan; 05-01-2016 at 11:36 AM.

^^That's a tight vote-but only saw The Mortal Instruments and read the book haven't seen the show as really only heard bad things unfortunately. So had to vote Lexa and Clarke.

Not sure if it's been discussed but Black Sails represents too. It's well worth a watch and it keeps getting better by each series.

For the poll went with OITNB-Modern family is prolly the better show but just isn't up in the top LGBT ranks like Orange is imho.