View Poll Results: What is your favourite LGBT lead series?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Horror Story

5 10.00%
  • Angels in America (2003)

1 2.00%
  • Brideshead Revisited (1981)

0 0%
  • the Ellen DeGeneres Show

3 6.00%
  • Glee

1 2.00%
  • the L Word

3 6.00%
  • Modern Family

4 8.00%
  • Noah's Arc

0 0%
  • Orange is the New Black

10 20.00%
  • Queer as Folk (UK)

4 8.00%
  • Queer as Folk (US)

5 10.00%
  • RuPaul's Drag Race

2 4.00%
  • Sense8

8 16.00%
  • Vicious

0 0%
  • Will & Grace

4 8.00%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

hey guys! anyone watching Quantico - there's a cuteish nerdy gay character - the characters seem interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    Uh, it's American Horror Story, just about everyone gets maimed at some point on that show. The second season/series was lead by a lesbian character, so I'd say it counts.
    And third and fourth

So I've very recently finished season 2 of the Newsroom by Aaron Sorkin; and wanted to express... my annoyance. Now to be clear I love the West Wing, it's my third favourite TV series of all time, and the Social Network (2010) is in my "Top 100" (shameless plug: http://community.comicbookresources....est-Films-quot).

That said... I've really lost a lot of affection for Aaron Sorkin's work, because of his near ceaseless "defending" of LGBT issues in his shows. And here's why: where are all the gay people??? By the end of season 7 the West Wing had 15 main characters (none of whom were gay). The supporting cast made up probably close to 70 people; and only one was LGBT (and it was revealed in one of the last episodes, never mentioned again, and in fact she pretty much dropped out of sight after that reveal). And that's fine. Bartlett destroys the radar "doctor" for her views on homosexuality; CJ is plagues by rumours she's gay (when she's not); Sam is passionate in support of gay rights, gays in the military, even Vinick isn't against homosexuals, and loathes the Republicans who are.

The West Wing was made between 1999-2006; YES it could have been braver in it's cast, but fine. I'll let that slide. What I'm LESS forgiving about is the Newsroom (season one started in 2012). This is post-Glee, post-Modern Family, post-numerous states with gay marriage, post-the President repealing "don't ask, don't tell" and being the first President to openly support gay marriage. And it has no LGBT characters in a cast of 8 (again, though one is "accused" of being gay by his mother, when he is in-fact not). As of the end of season 2 it has 18 supporting/recurring cast members. NONE of whom are LGBT. And that's fine; shows don't need to have LGBT characters (though I like it when they do). But here's where the problems lie: Aaron Sorkin repeatedly, and unnecessary gets on his soap-box about gay rights in the Newsroom. Season 1 had at-least two major moments, Season 2 had at-least 3, not to mention the numerous comments thrown about over 'evil' Republicans and their gay hating ways.

I object to being used as a "pat on the back", as a self-congratulatory "look how liberal and supportive I am" by a writer who has a clear pattern of NOT including LGBT people in his casts. If Aaron Sorkin cared about gay rights as much as he's professes, he'd have included ONE LGBT character across his cast total of 25+. He hasn't. Yet he continually lectures others (through his show's mouth box) on gay rights. It would be far more meaningful and helpful for gay rights if Aaron Sorkin actually included us in his main casts; rather than occasionally pointing out we exist, and there is nothing wrong with being gay... except when it comes to creating important characters, then it suddenly seems like a stumbling block.

Does anyone, even one person, feel this way? I honestly feel like the only one who is offended by the obvious hypocrisy.

SEASON 2, EP 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8KaaJAZvNM

FROM SEASON 1
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Really enjoying this series of X-factor; though our old friend "denial" is creeping up again. If a singer is str8, the judges always make a point of "the girls are gonna love you" (NEVER mentioning guys will like hot guys too). And when they are gay... we never hear "the guys are gonna love you". Double standard; esp. when Sean has the best body of any of the guys this year.

But... we have plenty of positives. We have an openly gay judge now (sorry Louise, you don't count ) and one of the main front-runners already is PROUDLY, openly, glorious gay Sean Miley Moore (and he's bloody brilliant too). I've watched this clip numerous times.

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

YEY!!! Seann made it to the live shows, backed by his judge (openly gay) Nick Grimshaw. Soooooooo happy! I think we finally have a gay artist who genuinely might win.

Jesus I definetely can't decide just one of this shows

QUESTION: what LGBT lead shows are people currently watching on TV?

Currently I'm on Season 2 of Empire and Season 5 of American Horror Story; both with a heavy presence of LGBT lead characters, actors and creators. Really enjoying both series, though I am missing Jessica Lange.

P.S. and they just Ella Henderson'd Sean Miley Moore on the X-factor

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

Currently I'm on Season 2 of Empire and Season 5 of American Horror Story; both with a heavy presence of LGBT lead characters, actors and creators. Really enjoying both series, though I am missing Jessica Lange.

The only one I'm watching atm is HTGAWM. I dropped Empire a couple of weeks ago because all the characters annoy me. [I tried to keep watching for Taraji but I just couldn't do it.]

I am kind of excited for the upcoming CW DC-verse show Legends of Tomorrow b/c it has a bi character (Sara), two openly gay actors (Victor Garber and Wentworth Miller), and an openly gay show-runner/creatpr (Berlanti). That's a hella bunch of representation.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Well, Lost Girl just ended, so I'm afraid I'm not watching any right now.

Waiting for Agent Carter, but it will probably be a LGBT show in my head canon only. :-/

BANNED

Jack Harkness

An anime I'm currently watching, Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry(Chivalry of a Failed Knight) includes a trans woman as part of the main cast. The show is kind of a trope fest but the characters have some incredibly sweet moments and the action is pretty damn cool.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Watching AHS:Hotel and Quantico has some LGBT content though I'm not sure what's going on:

I hope we see lots more of Rick Cosnett's gay character but it doesn't seem likely.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    Watching AHS:Hotel
    I've just finished the season; LOVE Liz Taylor as a character. One of my favourite AHS characters to date.
    spoilers:
    as a series as a whole I enjoyed it BUT I didn't love the Murder House rip-off of the ghosts stuck in the hotel when they die, at-least they should have had vampires NOT stay when they die. The last episode was very Liz centric and so I loved it. Often AHS jumps the shark near the end of the season, and I guess once the Ten Commandments killer plot ended, this series did too.
    end of spoilers

I've just finished the season; LOVE Liz Taylor as a character. One of my favourite AHS characters to date.
    spoilers:
    as a series as a whole I enjoyed it BUT I didn't love the Murder House rip-off of the ghosts stuck in the hotel when they die, at-least they should have had vampires NOT stay when they die. The last episode was very Liz centric and so I loved it. Often AHS jumps the shark near the end of the season, and I guess once the Ten Commandments killer plot ended, this series did too.
    end of spoilers

Yes Liz Taylor is amazing! Loved him also as the gay Vampire King in True Blood

spoilers:
    yes the series did lose steam following the revelation of the 10 Comm. Killer. Was also hoping for more M2M action especially with Wes Bentley/Cheyenne Jackson / Matt Bomer . Oh well
    end of spoilers

Never saw True Blood, I'm afraid (pretty guys in it, but I need more than that to draw me to a show). I was surprised that BOTH Scream Queens and AHS: Hotel had a "de-gaying" plot. Is Ryan Murphy turning into one of those "self haters gays"????