Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gollum, Aragon and Gandalf movies?

New reports are saying Gollum Aragon Éowyn, Galadrieland and Gandalf movies are in development? I thought Amazon had the rights to LOTR but I guess that's just tv rights?

https://screenrant.com/new-lord-ring...um-return-bad/
    Last edited by choptop; 08-23-2022 at 07:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This sounds horrible.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This sounds horrible.
    Indeed. I suspect a Gollum movie would involve taking the brief glimpses we get of who Smeagol was before he became Gollum and stretching them out to three hours like butter that's been scraped too thinly over too much toast to parahrase Tolkien (or, worse yet, three three hour movies).
    Power with Girl is better.

I think we can take solace in the fact that these films will never actually get made
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Boisterously Confused

Lawd'a'mighty save us! You could make something out of Aragorn, or Legolas, but Gandalf is as much plot device as character.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Lawd'a'mighty save us! You could make something out of Aragorn, or Legolas, but Gandalf is as much plot device as character.
    I want zero adaptations mind you, but of those proposed Gandalf would be the one that would have the least complications and could still actually be interesting.

I want zero adaptations mind you, but of those proposed Gandalf would be the one that would have the least complications and could still actually be interesting.
    The worst part, already, is that there are people who think everything in the movies is what Tolkien actually wrote.
    Power with Girl is better.

I wouldn't mind. Unlike something like Star Wars, there are actual deeply scholarly works to mine for this stuff. I feel that makes for a way more logically developed world that could lend itself to more stories. But maybe thats just me.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 08-25-2022 at 11:25 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Let's dial it back a bit...

I think we can take solace in the fact that these films will never actually get made
    I don't know about that the own the movie rights they paid for it so something is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I don't know about that the own the movie rights they paid for it so something is going to happen.
    Movie companies buy the options to stuff and end up making nothing all the time, so it's nothing new. And seeing how this is a company that has never even made films before the odds of them pulling this off are decidedly slim...which is a good thing.

Movie companies buy the options to stuff and end up making nothing all the time, so it's nothing new. And seeing how this is a company that has never even made films before the odds of them pulling this off are decidedly slim...which is a good thing.
    Ya but its not like it's some no name movie it's Lord of the rings If you have the rights you're going to use them.

Ya but its not like it's some no name movie it's Lord of the rings If you have the rights you're going to use them.
    You're kidding right? Do a google search some time for the number of companies that had the rights to the Lord of the Rings before Jackson got them on the screen. Even big name properties fizzle out.

That assumes they can pull a project or projects together in the first place. If they do, it's their right, but I really don't want to see the books stripped-mined for forced spinoff movies. Between the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies adapting the core books, the Rings of Power series set to do parts of the Silmirillian, and that animated Rohan movie in the works, I don't think we need anything else; all the core stories are accounted for.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

You're kidding right? Do a google search some time for the number of companies that had the rights to the Lord of the Rings before Jackson got them on the screen. Even big name properties fizzle out.
    Keyword is before Jackson got them on the screen things are different now back in the day ppl considered Lord of the rings impossible to make i just can't see them doing nothing with the rights maybe they sell them to another company but one way or another something is going to happen.