Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast
    The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Default Fear the Walking Dead (spoilers)

This first episode not only met my high expectations, but it went beyond them as well. I love how this show is revealing how the world fell apart when the Zombie virus came. I loved how no one believed Nick about the walkers until the very end because he was a drug addict. Speaking of which, he's my favorite character on the show due to his originality. I don't like Alicia because she fricking rude to every one. I mean who just goes on their cell phone in class like that? Growing up my fellow students at least tried to hide their cell phones. Also isn't the metal detectors a bit much? I loved the viral video of the walker attacking the paramedic and police and how the world reacted to it. I also love how scary the opening title sequence was. My favorite part was the ending where Nick killed his drug dealer in self defense and how he came back as a walker. The family's reaction to that was priceless.

I give it 5 stars out of 5.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-23-2015 at 08:01 PM.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    This first episode not only met my high expectations, but it went beyond them as well. I love how this show is revealing how the world fell apart when the Zombie virus came. I loved how no one believed Nick about the walkers until the very end because he was a drug addict. Speaking of which, he's my favorite character on the show due to his originality. I don't like Alicia because she fricking rude to every one. I mean who just goes on their cell phone in class like that? Growing up my fellow students at least tried to hide their cell phones. Also isn't the metal detectors a bit much? I loved the viral video of the walker attacking the paramedic and police and how the world reacted to it. I also love how scary the opening title sequence was. My favorite part was the ending where Nick killed his drug dealer in self defense and how he came back as a walker. The family's reaction to that was priceless.

I give it 5 stars out of 5.
    Every high school I know of has metal detectors in it and you are searched...and if they find a weapon on you have a hearing and then are sent to a discipinary school. ..not far fetched at all...I have been in many a class where kids congragate on their phones and the teacher does exactly what the teacher in the show did....over all I thought it was great.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Fear the Walking Dead Season #1 : The Downfall of Civilization.

The show pretty much as Kirkman told in interviews earlier that it would feature the downfall of civilization. The chaos and the panic that soon sets in with what we see unfold. But it doesn't begin with a bang , but with a whimper in a sense. This won't feature spoilers per say.....scroll down ok for that.

-

-

- The series pretty much starts with a very big holy **** moment as were minutes in and see a walker. Or the 1st stages of what the walkers look like before the passage of time. Nick , the lead character in this is a heroin junkie and everyone believes he's having some kinda damn reaction from it. That what he saw of his girlfriend Gloria eating someone wasn't real. But....it was.

- You have to feel sorry for poor Alicia. Her boyfriend seemingly disappears and you kinda figure what happened to him. They were to meet at the beach and watch the stars. But there won't be any stars in their future.

- Cliff Curtis is pretty strong as the father trying to make this big family work. He wants to care for Nick and has his trust. Its that reason he goes and learns 1st hand how truthful he was being.

- The twist at the end as Nick's drug supplier is supposed to be his friend is sad. But it fits at times with those type of relationships. Them realizing that this is real. That this isn't going away now.

- Nick (or the actor who plays him) looks like a very young Johnny Depp.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

It was alright enough, it's nice to not have source material to compare and speculate off of. TWD is playing as close to the comics as they can nowadays so hopefully FTWD can play with the feeling of unknown without feeling cheap. I enjoy Cliff Curtis and I did in this.

As for the concept of Metal detectors in schools, knew they existed in the states but didn't think they were commonplace.

Even though everyone who's watching FtWD has likely watched WD and knows the premise for this new show, I still appreciated how the opening could have just as easily appeared in the present day WD timeline until just after Nick was hit by the car. Well done.

Really enjoyed that, good start to the series. I was worried they already marked Kim Dickens' character for death when walker Cal tried to bite her, but it appears he didn't get through her jacket.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

The bitter resentful "I told you so" look of Tobias was delicious YAAAAASSS!!!!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I found this episode to a bit on the dull side. The show is spending more time introducing us to the family and so far none of them really appeal to me except the father. WD#1 was more tightly focused and I thought this story meandered a bit too much. I found myself watching the clock and it seemed longer than its 90 minute slot.

I know people are jaded these days but in a city the size of LA and it's death rate one would think people would be noticing walkers by now. What happened to Gloria? She's got to be roaming around somewhere. Walkers aren't clever like vampires and don't even think much about staying out of sight. Rick's small town seemed to get overrun fairly quickly. Folks must have been dying like flies there.

Oh and the metal detectors in schools? That's been going on for a while and I think they are mostly in large urban school systems. Chicago has had them schools at least since 2007 with a couple of Chicago police officers on duty.

In the medium sized town where I live, they don't have them. But Sandy Hook showed that a shooter can pop up anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I know people are jaded these days but in a city the size of LA and it's death rate one would think people would be noticing walkers by now. What happened to Gloria? She's got to be roaming around somewhere. Walkers aren't clever like vampires and don't even think much about staying out of sight.
    Yeah, that seemed strange to me too. Zombies are dumber than bugs. So why didn't she just wander into the open seeking meat? That's kind of a flaw in the zombie genre: the stage where there are only a few zombies should be the last stage, since they are much too stupid to use stealth to bump up their numbers.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    - Nick (or the actor who plays him) looks like a very young Johnny Depp.
    Ha, my wife said the exact same thing!!!

While I agree the series premiere seemed to drag a bit, I can overlook that flaw. I wasn't hooked on the Walking Dead until several episodes in Season 1.

Things are already getting pretty intense. I'm sure episode 2 will highlight the chaos erupting throughout the city. I hope they continue to address what is happening worldwide (?) through TV broadcasts, media posts, etc like that viral video the people at the high school watched. Until technology no longer works, that is.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

As the one student said to Madison , society will fall quick. Rick was awake in a world where everything was great. Two months later he awoke and it was all gone to hell. So in 2 months TWD time , it takes things to fall apart as we will see. And it could happen. As I told friends while watching this , the 1st people to get bitten and no one notices or cares will be homeless people.

The homeless aren't seen as much and they will grow in the cities until it explodes. Once it does , it will be outta control.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The show pretty much as Kirkman told in interviews earlier that it would feature the downfall of civilization.
    Yeah... and some time after that, the zombies arrive to clean up the mess.

Fantastic Member

It was a good start but As long as it focuses on the family and not try to explicitly explain "the downfall" of civilization, then I'm cool. World War Z, book, pretty much made me suspicious of 99% of authors trying to explain how the zombie apocalypse comes about. That book showed how unlikely 2months time something like this could occur and I don't want this series to go the Episode I route and try to explain things and end up sounding lame, boring, or kinda dumb. If it sticks to characters first, then I'm down.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMatrix View Post
    It was a good start but As long as it focuses on the family and not try to explicitly explain "the downfall" of civilization, then I'm cool. World War Z, book, pretty much made me suspicious of 99% of authors trying to explain how the zombie apocalypse comes about. That book showed how unlikely 2months time something like this could occur and I don't want this series to go the Episode I route and try to explain things and end up sounding lame, boring, or kinda dumb. If it sticks to characters first, then I'm down.
    The other series never explained where the zombies came from. They are there....Kirkman a long time ago said he'd never reveal how things came to be like this. So I doubt this show will either. The young kid was telling Madison how reports were coming in from 5 states about this. She brushed it off thinking it was silly internet stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMatrix View Post
    The main character in that book was uniquely qualified/tasked with finding the source in World War Z, right? Why would you worry that a high school teacher, guidance councilor, and their kids would be put in a similar situation? It's just a drama set in the early stages of the outbreak, don't expect any answers on the outbreak itself.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)