Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Lol! That was kelp, it's a really tall seaweed that grow from the ocean floor up to the top of the water. It's very common in California. I thought the show was stupid, but that part wasn't a problem ( unless next season decided that it is zombie hordes under the water...)
    Yeah, I think it was just seaweed as well. Although I liked the underwater zombie hordes in Max Brooks' World War Z (the book, not the movie). The section about some soldiers living in a submarine and hearing the finger nails of the dead clawing at the exterior was pretty creepy.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I give the whole season a C+ the ep that I truly enjoyed was THE DOG. I feel cheated by the time jump after that and semi bored since. I will check back only if I hear it is much better from fans for season 2.

Which is worse: that the army was stupid enough to lock up a stadium full of walking corpse instruments of mass destruction with nothing stronger than glorified bicycle chains, or that the audience is supposed to root for a character who is a "professional torturer" who lets the zombies out on one of the only alleged "safe zones"?

Although this series had a few good things (the scene of the power going out in L.A. neighborhood by neighborhood was poignant, I liked Tobias's genre-savvy, and I liked the initial premise of seeing the apocalypse take hold) overall it didn't grab me.

I think the trend of anti-heroes/having more ruthless protagonists in TV doesn't translate well to a 6-episode per season series. At the end of the season I find it hard to care about any of these survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flag View Post
    The writers fucked up by making up such a stupid scenario. I don't find Operation Cobalt a workable scenario - it makes no sense that I can think of. They were going to kill all the prisoners or all the people they were guarding? It was not clear.

In any case, our "heroes" killed a lot of innocent people, including their neighbors. I could understand not telling their neighbors they were leaving but close the gaddamn gate behind you when leaving. What a bunch of assholes for not closing the gate. It was slow to open the gate so you could easily close the gate and step aside. Maybe write a note on your door for your neighbors to read in the morning if they come looking for the so called mayor to find out where the troops went.
    100% agree.

They seem to have a problem closing doors all the time though. After going to "Susan's" house, they left that door wide open.
    After seeing the neighbor attack the lady across the street, they all run out to go back to Susan's house to get the gun but leave the back sliding door wide open.

Anyway, I have to agree, this show hasn't been that good.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifterWC View Post
    100% agree.

They seem to have a problem closing doors all the time though. After going to "Susan's" house, they left that door wide open.
    After seeing the neighbor attack the lady across the street, they all run out to go back to Susan's house to get the gun but leave the back sliding door wide open.

Anyway, I have to agree, this show hasn't been that good.
    They left the door open at the beach house when they went outside. I close the door behind me all the time when I am at the beach so I can keep the bugs out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Also it must be mentioned , Operation Cobalt is basically the Army killing every undesirable person they had there as well at that location. Those who they detained was gonna be killed by them before they left. You could say they fucked up by locking thousands upon thousands of undead walkers in the stadium as we saw.
    It also must be mentioned that simply because someone is planning a murder, that someone else is not allowed to kill said murder victim because 'hey, it was coming either way!'

Ultimate Member

This review from the Baltimore Sun sums up my feelings best: http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...005-story.html
    Yeah, pretty much.

Can someone explain to me how Travis went along with the plan, though?

"Killing this one soldier? Evil! Unleashing thousands of man eating zombies on not just the army, but the city itself? Eh, okay sure."

Ideologically, it makes no sense. Tactically speaking, even less, because their only advantage is being ahead of the wave, and that's something they lose every second they have to stop and look, and that's their entire plan

Quote Originally Posted by billdo75 View Post
    Yeah, I think it was just seaweed as well. Although I liked the underwater zombie hordes in Max Brooks' World War Z (the book, not the movie). The section about some soldiers living in a submarine and hearing the finger nails of the dead clawing at the exterior was pretty creepy.
    Creepy, but I'm not aware of many places where a sub could be within arm's length of the ocean's floor, and not be crushed.

Not that zombie fiction cares for military accuracy at all *cough*

And on that vein, I'm kinda surprised how quickly the army went nuts. All it took was two weeks for them to go insane and start killing citizens in the street.

Mighty Member

Nice finale. I liked how they had the walkers locked up in that arena.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, pretty much.

Can someone explain to me how Travis went along with the plan, though?

"Killing this one soldier? Evil! Unleashing thousands of man eating zombies on not just the army, but the city itself? Eh, okay sure."

Ideologically, it makes no sense. Tactically speaking, even less, because their only advantage is being ahead of the wave, and that's something they lose every second they have to stop and look, and that's their entire plan
    No, it can't be explained why Travis or any sane human would do this plan - and I don't even get how about 2 weeks into the the Zombie apocalypse this Salazar character is now a Zombie whisperer and knows how to wrangle Zombies and get them to follow him at a leisurely pace.

Ultimate Member

No, it can't be explained why Travis or any sane human would do this plan - and I don't even get how about 2 weeks into the the Zombie apocalypse this Salazar character is now a Zombie whisperer and knows how to wrangle Zombies and get them to follow him at a leisurely pace.
    Have we seen any running zombies since the ones that ate Rick's horse? Maybe those ones just really wanted a piece of Mr. Ed.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Have Not Given my 411 on the whole of the Series Yet, but indeed going by the full series we got it Started off Strong but divided fast into Classic horror movie cliche logic; Everyone Must act Stupid, outside the near norm for the Plot and Story to Work!

IMO that sums up the course of the Series and Season 1, Especially when we get past Episode 2.

But Right now I will focus on the Final Episode and it goes with these comments well said below.

In any case, our "heroes" killed a lot of innocent people, including their neighbors. I could understand not telling their neighbors they were leaving but close the gaddamn gate behind you when leaving. What a bunch of assholes for not closing the gate. It was slow to open the gate so you could easily close the gate and step aside. Maybe write a note on your door for your neighbors to read in the morning if they come looking for the so called mayor to find out where the troops went.

Just bad writing of characters. I just don't get why such things are not thought through for the TV series.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    Which is worse: that the army was stupid enough to lock up a stadium full of walking corpse instruments of mass destruction with nothing stronger than glorified bicycle chains, or that the audience is supposed to root for a character who is a "professional torturer" who lets the zombies out on one of the only alleged "safe zones"?
    My thoughts Exactly 100% as well!

With the original Walking Dead we got a slow decent into Protagonists going darker, but for Arguably Much Better reasons over the course of several year long TV Seasons.

Fear had What I agree with call them, the main protagonist as Jack Flag said it well, our "So Called Heroes" making not just bad chooses that are not even debatable, but Selfish and Horrible ones with no clear means as to why! Yea, the neighbors did not help you stop the Army from taking the Son, but did they not call for the Army to take the Wife cause she was ill and needed Help? Also, was it not the Army trying to stop infection as well? But even being wrong about that, why does all of that Justify the 3 Families looking into Widows as they are leaving not to think to warning the families the Army is pulling out? Is it Cause as the Daughter of the Father that Tortured the Solider said "They did not help use when the Army took members of our Family?" So that justifies leaving to die Families with Children, Sick and Elderly? Really not enough SMH to say how Terrible this made the "So Called Heroes" look.

Above that, CLOSE THE D*** GATE!!!

It was bad enough they leave them without saying what is going on, but leave the Dare Gate Open and Never say why they did? That is just adding you are inviting Death into what is left of the safe zone homes fulled with innocent Men, Women and Children. Honestly I could not get over that, whether it was by writing mistake or a showing the "So Called Heroes" being so selfish in just caring about their families they sacrifice others out of pure spit and/or laziness. I sure hope it is the 1st one and not the latter.

Finally......Really letting lose a Plague of Zombies from the Stadium unto the Military Safe Zone to "Distract" them while you save 1 Wife and 1 Son while you clear headly let the swarm kill untold numbers of Soldiers, Medical Works, Citizens and kept a helicopter from extracting sick patients out making a nurse have to kill them to keep them from turning, all the save 2 people while have no real plan of escape, just hope to find them in time and get ahead of the swarm..............Really what more has to be said.

Honestly I like the Fear at the start, but sadly it divide into really bad portrayals like this that made not logical sense, just to make the protagonist edgers and show the lengths to go to save those you love, but they did it in ways that where WAY without good context and let so many die that where innocent to save 2 people.
    Last edited by CJStriker; 10-05-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

We never fully see if Travis shuts the gate. The scene cuts away as he starts to come through it. Did he stop and get out ? Possibly ...because there are several reasons Travis would shut the gate.

- ) Travis character is someone who isn't to the edge fully by that point. In fact he was always trying to be someone who was a mayor type to get along with the Army. At one point he won't shoot a walker because he sees her name and its too hard. At another point during this episode he lets Andy go because he didn't wanna kill the kid. So he likely stopped and closed the gate. Sure we never got the scene of it , but given what we saw leading into that episode , I don't doubt Travis wouldn't. Of course Travis likely doesn't know that those walkers that went to the Army base will leave there and make their way to Encino. (Which would make a good 2nd season episode , he returns to Encino , hoping to get people to the boat and learns how his choice led to more deaths he feels responsible for)

- The unleashing hoards of undead on the corrupt Army. I'm sure after hearing how the Army types planned to kill his ex-wife and mother to his son , a boy he views as a son (Nick) and and a nice old lady (Greiselda) ....Travis was convinced they needed to get in there and save their people. So he let Salazaar unleash the undead. Its a choice made quickly as they know they don't have much time. They couldn't just stroll into the base (as we saw , they were gonna shoot the old man when he walked up)

- The boat ....the producer brought up a point its gonna be hard to get to the boat and possibly take it. I am doubting its Strand's boat. He just wants to steal it and had his eye on it a long time. With a group now he feels he can take it.

- On Talking Dead , the producer brought up that Madison herself has some dark things that will come up soon in the 2nd season. The actor who plays Travis made a point to say that Madison is pretty much the female leader of the group and he's just the heart of the series. Hardwick made a quick point to go "Usually the heart of the show on Walking Dead doesn't last long....see Dale , Hershel and Tyreese."

My theory on what dark skeletons Madison has....and this is just my theory. And its just my silly out of left field theory......Nick and her daughter , aren't her children. She abducted them years ago as very little kids and raised them as her children. Because she had a mental problem (which she's kept well hidden from everyone in her life) and wanted those children. Nick and his sister has no clue....but this will come out.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Have we seen any running zombies since the ones that ate Rick's horse? Maybe those ones just really wanted a piece of Mr. Ed.
    What I meant is how does Salazar know how a heard of zombies will behave? He has seen and interacted with exactly 2 zombies in close quarters and for a short period.
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 10-05-2015 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    We never fully see if Travis shuts the gate. The scene cuts away as he starts to come through it. Did he stop and get out ? Possibly ...because there are several reasons Travis would shut the gate.

- ) Travis character is someone who isn't to the edge fully by that point. In fact he was always trying to be someone who was a mayor type to get along with the Army. At one point he won't shoot a walker because he sees her name and its too hard. At another point during this episode he lets Andy go because he didn't wanna kill the kid. So he likely stopped and closed the gate. Sure we never got the scene of it , but given what we saw leading into that episode , I don't doubt Travis wouldn't. Of course Travis likely doesn't know that those walkers that went to the Army base will leave there and make their way to Encino. (Which would make a good 2nd season episode , he returns to Encino , hoping to get people to the boat and learns how his choice led to more deaths he feels responsible for)

- The unleashing hoards of undead on the corrupt Army. I'm sure after hearing how the Army types planned to kill his ex-wife and mother to his son , a boy he views as a son (Nick) and and a nice old lady (Greiselda) ....Travis was convinced they needed to get in there and save their people. So he let Salazaar unleash the undead. Its a choice made quickly as they know they don't have much time. They couldn't just stroll into the base (as we saw , they were gonna shoot the old man when he walked up)

- The boat ....the producer brought up a point its gonna be hard to get to the boat and possibly take it. I am doubting its Strand's boat. He just wants to steal it and had his eye on it a long time. With a group now he feels he can take it.

- On Talking Dead , the producer brought up that Madison herself has some dark things that will come up soon in the 2nd season. The actor who plays Travis made a point to say that Madison is pretty much the female leader of the group and he's just the heart of the series. Hardwick made a quick point to go "Usually the heart of the show on Walking Dead doesn't last long....see Dale , Hershel and Tyreese."

My theory on what dark skeletons Madison has....and this is just my theory. And its just my silly out of left field theory......Nick and her daughter , aren't her children. She abducted them years ago as very little kids and raised them as her children. Because she had a mental problem (which she's kept well hidden from everyone in her life) and wanted those children. Nick and his sister has no clue....but this will come out.
    If Travis or any character is to be believed then they need to be shown doing stuff within the zombie universe that makes us know what they are doing. I did not see Travis close the gate hence he did not close the gate. But even if he did not close the gate - Travis and no one else thought to write a note and tape it to their door warning neighbors. Since Travis was the defacto mayor - even if he closed the gate - that morning people would be heading to Travis home to ask what's up. Leave a note!!!!!

I also made up a backstory for Madison like you did but your idea that Madison abducted 2 children and raised them as her own is more nutty than mine. Madison was portrayed as a widow. We don't know how the husband died. It could be the husband was abusive and she killed him. I think the cup she drinks from is a clue because they keep showing it. Probably where she killed him on a hiking trip or some such - pushed him off a ledge and made it seem like an accident. Maybe, Nick, the older child (I think he is the older one) saw this and this made him have psychological issues down the line and eventually an addict. That is just me speculating. I have zero basis for any of this.
    Last edited by Jack Flag; 10-05-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Ultimate Member

What I meant is how does Salazar know how zombies will behave? He has seen exactly 2 zombies in close quarters.
    Fair point.

Honestly, I'm confused as to why they're so convinced that the zombies are dead. It's not as if we've seen a zombie like that one Rick saw when he woke up.

Guess that's too much for the fx budget, lol.