Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    The folks here with whom we are mutually conversing seem to have a very strange preconception of what should be a good show. Their loss.
    I mean, personal taste is one thing, and to each his own on that front, but some of the complaints about what this show is surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Well, it seems that people that dont watch a lot of these type of stuff are into it .
    Nice, but as a person that has been into this for a long time there was nothing interesting.
    You sound like you think you're the only one around here who has been into zombie fiction for a long time which is a bit silly considering where you're posting. I've been a zombie fan for 20 years, and I liked this show a lot.
    I didnt say what i thought about the episode. I said the idea of gangbangers using their gangbanging skills to do good was an interesting take.
    Well, you didn't say that before, but that makes sense. I still thought it was a weak episode personally.
    90% of supernatural works consist of worlds where the supernatural is unknown and we get this silly crap of, "What the hell is going on." That doesnt mean that everything else needs to go the same route.
    Ah, okay, so you were critiquing the supernatural/sci-fi genre overall. Gotcha.

What was fantastic about it?

The story had nothing unique about the genre that it's in.
    It was so general that you could replace the zombies with any other monster and still have the same show happen with basically no changes.

Imagine if the show was werewolves.
    The druggy wakes up and sees gloria with long fangs and pointy ears and runs.
    He tells step dad about it, he goes to see, he comes back and tells mom.
    The news report would basically play out the same.

The only hard changes would be how the last scene played out a bit.

Everything else could be left how it is.

The show showed NOTHING that made me think this was something unique.
    See, this is where I am confused. The point of this show is to start with regular, boring, typical, mundane world, life as usual, when oh **** - ZOMBIES! I think the way it plays out gradually where people don't believe it or notice it at first is very plausible. I find seeing how it might realistically occur to be very interesting, and I think they nailed that on TWD. Normal average family is trying to do normal average family things and deal with non uncommon problem while this virus or whatever creeps in and starts messing things up. I don't think the world would instantly be overcome with millions of zombies on the first day with the imminent collapse of society soon to follow.

The show did a good job showing how people would probably respond today - people who saw something alone would think they were going crazy. Footage would go viral but be thought to be fraudulent. People wouldn't believe because they wouldn't want to. Meanwhile, things are going down in the background while it builds up to a critical mass. You're right that how they reacted so far would be the same for pretty much any monster, but that makes perfect sense for where they are in the story right now. As more and more zombies break out and things get more out of control we will see more of the transition from regular society into the world of TWD - which is the point of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    That's when I officially decided Walking Dead was crap. You've been watching this show where every episode nothing is happening. Finally the show presents use with a conflict, a conflict that seemingly must be dealt with within the episode. Somethings going to happen. Our group must now clash with this dangerous gang, oh, wait, nope, never mind, the gang is just a nice group of people taking care of the elderly; conflict defused people, nothing to see here, the status quo of nothing happening has been maintained.
    To be fair, the last few seasons have mostly been pretty good. 1 was slow, 2 was mixed, 3 had some of the most bone-headed writing I'd ever seen, but second half of 4 was solid gold, as was most of 5.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Man you have sure missed a hell of a lot if that small plot about a nice gang of people helping older people was the reason you quit.
    It's not the reason I quit, the whole first season was the reason I quit. That episode just exemplified everything that had been wrong with that season, and kept being wrong with it. Namely that it kept setting the stage for conflict, and then nothing would happen.

From what I heard of season two being even worse than season one, I wouldn't say I've missed anything. I don't need to waste time on as many hours of content as The Walking Dead had produced to maybe find one or two somewhat good things. The first season is like watching a four and a half hour movie where nothing at all happens, and the characters don't make much sense. After that I wasn't really raring to watch the nine hour sequel.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    It's not the reason I quit, the whole first season was the reason I quit. That episode just exemplified everything that had been wrong with that season, and kept being wrong with it. Namely that it kept setting the stage for conflict, and then nothing would happen.

From what I heard of season two being even worse than season one, I wouldn't say I've missed anything. I don't need to waste time on as many hours of content as The Walking Dead had produced to maybe find one or two somewhat good things. The first season is like watching a four and a half hour movie where nothing at all happens, and the characters don't make much sense. After that I wasn't really raring to watch the nine hour sequel.
    Whoever told you season #2 wasn't good obviously lied to you. While season #2 had a long arc with Sophia , everything after Nebraska is like a complete roll. Its been that good. Its best to not judge what others tell you and see for yourself if you have netflix.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Whoever told you season #2 wasn't good obviously lied to you. While season #2 had a long arc with Sophia , everything after Nebraska is like a complete roll. Its been that good. Its best to not judge what others tell you and see for yourself if you have netflix.
    I have no wish to see it myself, I had no wish to see any more of that show after the first season. People saying season 2 was bad isn't what dissuade me from more The Walking Dead...The Walking Dead was. I think everywhere I went on the internet everyone was saying that second season was bad, or at least, not as good as season one. I'm going to guess "not as good as season one" means it's completely horrible given how terrible that first season was.

This new show I might give a chance, since the zombie stuff in populated areas bit from the trailer looked kind of interesting. I also just kind of want to see how a tv show is going to pull that off.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Madison: OMG you were right son!! The dead are coming alive and eating people!!
    Nick: ...and this dog F#$#@% talks!

(points at Scooby Doo)

BTW- That was Venture Bros. reference.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by impulseucf View Post
    You sound like you think you're the only one around here who has been into zombie fiction for a long time which is a bit silly considering where you're posting. I've been a zombie fan for 20 years, and I liked this show a lot.
    If we are taking into consideration where i am posting then my views of everything being generic should not be surprising.

See, this is where I am confused. The point of this show is to start with regular, boring, typical, mundane world, life as usual, when oh **** - ZOMBIES! I think the way it plays out gradually where people don't believe it or notice it at first is very plausible. I find seeing how it might realistically occur to be very interesting, and I think they nailed that on TWD. Normal average family is trying to do normal average family things and deal with non uncommon problem while this virus or whatever creeps in and starts messing things up. I don't think the world would instantly be overcome with millions of zombies on the first day with the imminent collapse of society soon to follow.
    I already said that if they are going to go through the generic path that they should have at least some interesting characters to bring something fresh.

For me generic story on top of generic characters does nothing.

So like i said in my firs post, i hope they get to the zombos quick so we can start seeing the family make hard choices instead of following this ABC family story we got now.

The show did a good job showing how people would probably respond today - people who saw something alone would think they were going crazy. Footage would go viral but be thought to be fraudulent. People wouldn't believe because they wouldn't want to.
    Actually i thought this didnt make any sense because it was news copter but i gave it a pass.
    I would understand if all the footage was from cellphones but the news copter is not going to be screwing around making stuff up. And in reality, they would probably cut off the feed and go somewhere else.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The Fear the Walking Dead "Pilot" was much slower than I anticipated with lots of family drama setup. I thought the opening and the ending were good though and will give the next couple episodes a chance.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Default Episode 2 "So Close, Yet So Far"

This was better than the pilot and had much better pacing. I thought the opening scene was properly tense. I liked the zombie attack in the school as well. The protest turning into a riot was pretty cool. Hopefully this show keeps improving.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I liked the pilot, second episode was better. I really wanted to see how the world fell, cities going crazy, rioting, looting, panic, confusion, no one knowing what's going on and no one being told what's going on, and that's the purpose of this show. This second episode really got into all that and it was much more engaging than the pilot (which, again, I liked).

I like Travis and Madison, but so far I wouldn't mind if Fear The Walking Dead was an anthology series. Each season following different people around the onset of the outbreak. Once these people get too comfortable, this will just be "The Walking Dead: L.A.," and I think keeping it as close to the initial outbreak as possible is the best direction for this show. Even if they don't have season 2 be an anthology following different characters, I hope they don't time jump. The biggest thing that will set Fear The Walking Dead apart from The Walking Dead is that one show has experienced, "professional" Walker killers, and the other will have a group of ordinary people who more have to come to terms with the world and learn how to survive and deal with Walkers in a world that's gone to ****.

Also, calling it now: Eliza (Travis' ex-wife) is already Fear's iteration of Andrea and Lori. And Chris (Travis' son) is The Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2 Carl. Annoying. Alicia's attitude needs to change real quick, because the "bratty, snotty teenage girl who has her eyes glued to her phone 24/7" got old fast. It's a cliche, and I'm not interested in watching bratty teenage girls in my television shows.

So here is some things from episode #2 of "Fear the Walking Dead".

-

-

-

- Alisha wants to be with her boyfriend , but has no clue that he's gonna turn soon. She thinks its a normal flu as her parents arrive at Matt's house and they both wonder if he will turn. Since they don't know what someone that is bitten will do. But Travis and Matt know he's a goner. That he can't risk her being close. They save Alisha's life.

- Vern the school Principal pretty much is seen walking the halls , no clue what will happen. You can see a gun shot wound in his back. But no clue how or why he turned. It would be kinda nice to see what happened to him.

- Travis is really a very good leader and father. He realizes the danger and riots they are in with the cops. So he pulls his not so easy to get along with son and his ex-wife into a mans locked up home/business. He's not happy to have them but Travis demonstrates he's so smart.

- The people react as they would in real life if people suddenly started shooting citizens. They go into a full damn riot without realizing what is happening. Travis watches society start to crumble from inside the mans home. He makes everyone stay away from the door because he can sense if people are shot , these things could see them possibly.

- Nick seems to realize he's gonna start detoxing without medicine after years of drug abuse. That he's gonna come off the heroin hard and as he tells his mom , "I'm about to step into a world of ****." His sister saves his life at one point as he goes into a convulsing spot.

- Tobias seems to know that things are breaking down. Society is falling as he tells Madison and that stores will be looted soon. Food and supplies are needed. Tobias has gathered supplies for awhile and seems ready to ride this out.

- The 2nd episode starts the downfall. The saddest part is Madison realizes the neighbors won't survive and has to stop her daughter from getting involved.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

This show keeps getting better each episode. I loved how FTWD already killed off three of their characters. Calvin (the drug dealer), Art Costa (the principal), and Matt ( Alicia's boy friend). Even though Matt hasn't been confirmed to be dead, it seems pretty obvious that the bite will kill him. My only problems with this episode was that there were a lot of annoying characters. Alicia was bitching to everyone their and although I like Nick so far, he came off really needy in this episode during his relapse. Although I hated the fascist cops for just shooting a man before he became a Walker, I thought the protesters/ rioters were just as annoying. I also hated Liza (don't you just hate evil EX's?). I loved the fight between Tobias and Art Costa at the school and it's also great that things the apocalypse is swinging into full gear. Now I can't wait for the next episode which is going to be one bitch of a wait in two weeks. I mean honestly, AMC can't even go six straight weeks without a hiatus? That's BS.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    This show keeps getting better each episode. I loved how FTWD already killed off three of their characters. Calvin (the drug dealer), Art Costa (the principal), and Matt ( Alicia's boy friend). Even though Matt hasn't been confirmed to be dead, it seems pretty obvious that the bite will kill him. My only problems with this episode was that there were a lot of annoying characters. Alicia was bitching to everyone their and although I like Nick so far, he came off really needy in this episode during his relapse. Although I hated the fascist cops for just shooting a man before he became a Walker, I thought the protesters/ rioters were just as annoying. I also hated Liza (don't you just hate evil EX's?). I loved the fight between Tobias and Art Costa at the school and it's also great that things the apocalypse is swinging into full gear. Now I can't wait for the next episode which is going to be one bitch of a wait in two weeks. I mean honestly, AMC can't even go six straight weeks without a hiatus? That's BS.

They wanna make sure FTWD leads perfectly into The Walking Dead coming October 11th. Its what they want and I don't blame them. They have a Talking Dead I believe scheduled the last episode of season #6. To review what happened and set up the Walking Dead that next week. AMC knows how to schedule things. Were getting Walking Dead stuff from August to December this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    Although I hated the fascist cops for just shooting a man before he became a Walker
    They did? I missed that.

They wanna make sure FTWD leads perfectly into The Walking Dead coming October 11th. Its what they want and I don't blame them. They have a Talking Dead I believe scheduled the last episode of season #6. To review what happened and set up the Walking Dead that next week. AMC knows how to schedule things. Were getting Walking Dead stuff from August to December this year.
    It is cause of Labor Day which is an american holiday.

BANNED

- The 2nd episode starts the downfall. The saddest part is Madison realizes the neighbors won't survive and has to stop her daughter from getting involved.
    she's pragmatic, I like that