Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Not really a suggestion, but what villain requires the least set up for an origin story?

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Not really a suggestion, but what villain requires the least set up for an origin story?
    Metallo - Guy who gets turned into a half-man, half-machine, who's powered by Kryptonite. Optional military background and affection for Lois?

Sorry if I didn't understand your query exactly .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Metallo - Guy who gets turned into a half-man, half-machine, who's powered by Kryptonite. Optional military background and affection for Lois?
    Can quite readily fold that into what's been established:

Catches the news when Lois was outed by Woodburn and realises she's going to be in danger (his concern for her overriding any awareness that the FBI etc would already be after her). Gets to her apartment after she's been taken but, since he can tell they didn't get her there he figures she's still okay, so heads to the Daily Planet (note, he's late throughout. He got there hours after she had been taken, and just a little before the Black Zero slave-beam was activated).

He's found after the Metropolis incident, barely alive, and taken in by [insert shady entity name] along with others, with the aim of creating a disposable infantry, at the very least (sort of like the Universal Solider and Robocop programmes). He then gets placed in a power-source trial and his brain is 'reignited'...

'Lois. Gotta save Lois.'

Quote Originally Posted by Baba3231 View Post
    I'm assuming we're talking about potential villains for Superman's next solo? In a shared Universe, most of the high end of Superman's rogue gallery not being a Jl event would come off as a bit of a plot hole. So it would have to be the likes of Parasite and Metallo. Can't have Mongul and Warworld roll in and the rest of the league just ignore it.
    That's what I mean. I'm sure Brainiac can carry his own movie, the problem is that he is borderline Justice League and so is Mongul and Darseid.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

I think stepping outside of the box (if need be) and do a Superman movie with the antagonist being either ShaZAM! or Black Adam would be so awesome; Kingdom Come style! As for straight Superman rogues, the obvious one's are Brainiac and the Bottle City of Kandor, which could lead to a huge overall extension of the Superman franchise (including the introduction to Kara), Doomsday (already rumored) a modern take on Parasite (a real-world setting for a villain like Parasite that feasts on Superman's powers could potentially be a game-changer if done right and interesting. Also, it gives us a villain when contending with the weakening of Superman in many capacities) and Bizarro, who again, with a modern take, can really be a show-stopper.

And if you want to get weird? Mxy. He can bring the humor and overall creativity to the franchise. There's many directions they can go. Superman's rogues need fleshed out.

Hell, I'd even take a Superman V Lobo showdown! I know DC/WB discussed a Lobo film before. How kickA would that be?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Brainiac. Some variant of the Unbound animated story - maybe minus the visit to Kandor - would work. A theme that might work there is contrasting a question of the rights and responsibilities of those with great power.

Parasite. One accident and bring on the mayhem.

Bizarro. Lex (or even Brainiac) is trying to create his own Superman and it goes horribly wrong. There's another theme about the responsibility of power there, but this time its about how badly the use of power can go, even when the intentions aren't actually evil.

Astonishing Member

I'll like Metallo as the sub villain and turning into a good guy by sacrificing himself at the end of the movie.
    Other villains I'll like to see is Brainiac, Doomsday, Parasite, Ultra Humanite (greg pak version), Mongul and Eradicator. I'll also like to see Bizarro in a justice league movie as part of the injustice league.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Brainiac. Some variant of the Unbound animated story - maybe minus the visit to Kandor - would work. A theme that might work there is contrasting a question of the rights and responsibilities of those with great power.

Bizarro. Lex (or even Brainiac) is trying to create his own Superman and it goes horribly wrong. There's another theme about the responsibility of power there, but this time its about how badly the use of power can go, even when the intentions aren't actually evil.
    Do you think we could also use this as a introduction for Kara as well?
    Richard Alexander

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

Do you think we could also use this as a introduction for Kara as well?
    In the Brainiac story? Absolutely.

Probably wouldn't work so well for the others.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

What if it wasn't a physical foe but a situation that was problem in need of a solution in the film? I mean there's only so many ways you can punch a guy before it get a little annoying to watch. I'd rather not have Superman become a monster of the week type of thing (at least on the big screen).

I'm feeling something along the lines of the movies like Gravity, Moon, or Interstellar (iffy). Not because they are space movies but because they present the protagonist and viewer with clear goals and problems in need of solutions. The conflict becomes man vs situation. I think that's a wider field to play in and a (potentially) less convoluted story to tell.

You could have Superman get flung across the galaxy/universe and have to find his way home. Think of the visuals. supporting characters that could be seen along the way. Think of the ingenuity we could see out of the character, and the physical and verbal acting we could get out of the actor. And we could get some really imaginative uses of Superman's powers. The idea of putting the character in a setting never before seen on film sound great too.

But honestly I don't think it has to be that particular story at all, but the idea of the situation being the issue and not a singular foe would work for the character more than most others I'd say. I don't be to go all transitive property and say that simply because one format worked for those movies means it'll work for a new Superman, but I think it's really a great fit for the character. I'm well aware this was explored somewhat in both Superman 1 and Superman Returns. But in both films it was only the last 1/3 of the films. Moreover they were not done as well as I'm hoping a new go around with it will be. I'm proposing a whole film based on the idea that Superman is in a situation that's putting him through the wringer on all the levels. A physical foe or two can be encountered along the way, but they are not the focus and more so there to highlight and enhance Superman's disadvantageous situation/journey that wont be solved even if the foe(s) is physically bested.

I think with the harder sci-fi take on the character you could get some really great story from going at the next movie with a situation/journey as the obstetrical rather then a foe.I've always wanted/imagined an Odyssey-like story for Superman on film.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    What if it wasn't a physical foe but a situation that was problem in need of a solution in the film? I mean there's only so many ways you can punch a guy before it get a little annoying to watch. I'd rather not have Superman become a monster of the week type of thing (at least on the big screen).

I'm feeling something along the lines of the movies like Gravity, Moon, or Interstellar (iffy). Not because they are space movies but because they present the protagonist and viewer with clear goals and problems in need of solutions. The conflict becomes man vs situation. I think that's a wider field to play in and a (potentially) less convoluted story to tell.

You could have Superman get flung across the galaxy/universe and have to find his way home. Think of the visuals. supporting characters that could be seen along the way. Think of the ingenuity we could see out of the character, and the physical and verbal acting we could get out of the actor. And we could get some really imaginative uses of Superman's powers. The idea of putting the character in a setting never before seen on film sound great too.

But honestly I don't think it has to be that particular story at all, but the idea of the situation being the issue and not a singular foe would work for the character more than most others I'd say. I don't be to go all transitive property and say that simply because one format worked for those movies means it'll work for a new Superman, but I think it's really a great fit for the character. I'm well aware this was explored somewhat in both Superman 1 and Superman Returns. But in both films it was only the last 1/3 of the films. Moreover they were not done as well as I'm hoping a new go around with it will be. I'm proposing a whole film based on the idea that Superman is in a situation that's putting him through the wringer on all the levels. A physical foe or two can be encountered along the way, but they are not the focus and more so there to highlight and enhance Superman's disadvantageous situation/journey that wont be solved even if the foe(s) is physically bested.

I think with the harder sci-fi take on the character you could get some really great story from going at the next movie with a situation/journey as the obstetrical rather then a foe.I've always wanted/imagined an Odyssey-like story for Superman on film.
    I get what your saying but I need Superman to punch something.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Ehh...we really need to see Supermans rogue gallery in the big screen.
    We really need to see superman's rogues gallery in the comics, first...

BRAINIAC.

The possibilities are ENDLESS. He is by far my favorite Supes villain, probably for the fact that he has no consistent form, but more often than not, manages to still be menacing and terrifying. I would like to see a combination of the tech/organic iterations. Do the Kandor storyline. Make Metropolis next on the list. Even if the scope of that might be better suited for a JLA film, I just want to see it on screen, done right, with a big budget. It's epic and visual enough to deserve an adaptation.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I get what your saying but I need Superman to punch something.
    Oh I'm totally with you. But I think the man vs situation format allows for such a wide space to play in that you could have him fight foes but with out it having to be the only thing to expect from the movies climactic finish or 3rd act. This gives the film makers the option to put in something for him to punch without becoming slaves to it. It's my view that you widen the scope of the character and still have a fight or two if you'd like it.

I just don't want the Superman movies to become WWE (or F depending on when you grew up) or a Godzilla movie B movie style "who will he punch in the face next".

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Brainiac is long overdue for a big screen appearance. I think he's the best possible choice for the second Superman solo. I've seen him suggested for JL, but I'd rather that be saved for the Legion of Doom and Apokolips.