Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So I finally saw the Warcraft movie...

Watched the Blu Ray last night and it was... not great. It's a shame because I quite enjoyed Duncan Jones's previous films but this just felt like another case of an up-and-coming indie director getting steamrollered by the Hollywood juggernaut. There were serious issues with the plot, the dialogue , the pacing and particularly the casting choices. The only actor who actually seems to be alert and present in her scenes is Paula Patton as the conflicted half-Orc Garona; a lot of the others seem to have showed up for the paycheck.

The main problem with the movie though is that it offers a glimpse into a world that is completely incomprehensible to people like me who never played the video game. I get that this movie was made "for the fans" but surely they could have included a few explanations for the newbs? With that in mind perhaps someone who is more familiar with the Warcraft mythos could answer a few stupid questions for me:

1) Are Azeroth and Orcworld actually supposed to be different planets, or just distant kingdoms on the same planet?

2)What exactly is "The Fel"? Is it some kind of malevolent spirit that possesses people or is it more like the Force, a neutral power that can be used for good or evil?

3)Why do the Orcs willingly follow the ******* who destroyed their homeworld in the first place?

4)Why do the humans have guns but no other technology?

5) I don't want to get into major spoilers here but a key plot point in the movie is that a portal has to be opened from both sides. Does this mean the Orc baddie and the Human baddie were working together or did they both decide independently to open a portal at the exact same time? Or were they both being somehow manipulated by the Fel?

6)How exactly does Orc/Human sex work anyway? It doesn't seem physically possible unless Orcs have very small genitalia relative to their overall bodymass.

I guess that's all I have. If we do get a sequel to this thing I hope to see more of Paula Patton and less betrayal and shouting.

I enjoyed it for the most part when I saw it, but I couldn't tell you much of anything that happened in it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Quinch View Post
    Watched the Blu Ray last night and it was... not great. It's a shame because I quite enjoyed Duncan Jones's previous films but this just felt like another case of an up-and-coming indie director getting steamrollered by the Hollywood juggernaut. There were serious issues with the plot, the dialogue , the pacing and particularly the casting choices. The only actor who actually seems to be alert and present in her scenes is Paula Patton as the conflicted half-Orc Garona; a lot of the others seem to have showed up for the paycheck.

The main problem with the movie though is that it offers a glimpse into a world that is completely incomprehensible to people like me who never played the video game. I get that this movie was made "for the fans" but surely they could have included a few explanations for the newbs? With that in mind perhaps someone who is more familiar with the Warcraft mythos could answer a few stupid questions for me:

1) Are Azeroth and Orcworld actually supposed to be different planets, or just distant kingdoms on the same planet?

2)What exactly is "The Fel"? Is it some kind of malevolent spirit that possesses people or is it more like the Force, a neutral power that can be used for good or evil?

3)Why do the Orcs willingly follow the ******* who destroyed their homeworld in the first place?

5) I don't want to get into major spoilers here but a key plot point in the movie is that a portal has to be opened from both sides. Does this mean the Orc baddie and the Human baddie were working together or did they both decide independently to open a portal at the exact same time? Or were they both being somehow manipulated by the Fel?

6)How exactly does Orc/Human sex work anyway? It doesn't seem physically possible unless Orcs have very small genitalia relative to their overall bodymass.

I guess that's all I have. If we do get a sequel to this thing I hope to see more of Paula Patton and less betrayal and shouting.
    Looking at those questions, because I didn't really look at them before.

I thought the movie made it pretty clear the Orc came from a different world.

They're like demons or something, or magic tied into demons or something. I don't really remember how exactly that worked. Dark magic that makes it easier for demon things to take them over? Something like that maybe.

The Orc (as a whole) didn't seem to really know the dark magic was the reason for their world being all crappy

Wasn't the gun some Dwarven tech?

The human baddie brought them over from what I remember. He knew about the Orcs from having been to their world at some point in the past. I think they said something about him unknowingly having opened the human side of the portal during blackouts.

As for the six sex question, I mean, you know child birth is a thing, that women pass baby sized humans out of their pussies? How big exactly do you think they are? (as in height of the Orcs) It's not like the Orcs were fifteen feet tall, they're just like really jacked 7 to 8 feet tall humanoid. There, that's something I didn't think I would be talking about today, or ever really.

Quote Originally Posted by Death&Return of Superman View Post
    I thought the movie made it pretty clear the Orc came from a different world.
    Different worlds, yes, but I wasn't sure whether "world" meant "planet" in this context. I mean, if you live in a medieval society then your "world" basically extends as far as the nearest ocean and anything beyond that is terra incognita.

Thanks for the replies, BTW.

Ultimate Member

I've never played the game, but I enjoyed the movie and had no trouble understanding anything. Your basic magical fantasy world. What is there to understand?

As for the Orcs following their Priest guy, they simply didn't know.

For for the gun, how is a gun advanced technology, exactly? You put powder in one end, a mass in front of it and light it. Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

For for the gun, how is a gun advanced technology, exactly? You put powder in one end, a mass in front of it and light it. Boom.
    The point is that in order to get to a gun you have to invent several other technologies first including the manufacture of robust metal alloys, the firing mechanism, gunpowder etc.

It seems strange that the people of Azeroth were somehow able to skip these steps and just invent the flintlock pistol out of thin air, and then having accomplished this feat apparently decided to rest on their laurels and refrain from developing any further advanced technology that might alter the balance of their Tolkienesque fantasy world.

BANNED

The point is that in order to get to a gun you have to invent several other technologies first including the manufacture of robust metal alloys, the firing mechanism, gunpowder etc.
    Gunpowder isn't exactly a technology. The Chinese already had it back in the 9th century. Flintlock stuff happened in the 1700's. And how do you know that these folks don't have robust metal alloys?

1. Different world, to be more clearly yes the orc came from different planet.

2. Fel is some kind of magic that make the users to lose controll of him/herself and succumb to the demon of the Warcraft universe.

3. Because they don't know the true intentions of Guldan, they think that Guldan just try to give them anew planet to inhabitat.

4. It's a gnome/dwarven tech. Human in Warcraft universe don't have such technology.

5. too long to explain, but basically the demon cntroll them both.

6. According to the latest retcon Garona is half orc - half draenei, not half orc half human. Orc and draenei came from the same world and have some what similar physical build, so sex between the two races are possible.
    ꦩꦒ꧀ꦤꦺꦠꦺꦴ ꦩꦺꦩꦁ ꦧꦼꦤꦂ

It seems strange that the people of Azeroth were somehow able to skip these steps and just invent the flintlock pistol out of thin air, and then having accomplished this feat apparently decided to rest on their laurels and refrain from developing any further advanced technology that might alter the balance of their Tolkienesque fantasy world.
    Humans don't have guns, they're a dwarven invention in Warcraft. The gun is a gift if I'm remember right. Pretty sure you see a Dwarf give him the gun. In Warcraft 2, which is when Dwarfs actually become units in your army, the Dwarfs are your explosives unit. In the world of Warcraft Dwarfs have things like gunpowder already, something which they discovered along the way of becoming better miners I think. You also have Gnomes with flying machines in Warcraft 2. If they make another Warcraft movie, and I'm sure they will given how good it did in China, I'm guessing we'll see even more of the tech that pops up in the games.

1-the Orcs come from a different planet. They mention this several times.

2-demon magic. It uses life as it's power source. I dont think they explained it as demon magic but it was clear some goofy stuff was going on and that it takes life to power spells.

3-This was kind of weird cause Guldan was kinda pictured from the start as the boss instead of Blackhand. Blackhand is supposed to be the one they are following while Guldan is his council.

4- They JUST invented guns. When people JUST invented guns on this planet they didnt also magically have drones and tanks.

5- I dont remember this too well. I think the idea is that the good guy wizard was going to call the portal and take up the portal phone line to make it busy and not lead where it was suppposed to but ended up not doing that. You know what happened in the movie.

6- It was a female Orc. Female Orcs arent as monstrous.

Didnt the DVD include extra scenes that expand on this stuff?

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I thought it was ok but sum of the casting and third act were way off.
    I might try the next one depending on it's trailer.
    bring on the Lich king and Deamons

BANNED

I don't think OP paid attention to the movie at all, give it a rewatch?

i liked it, it was just good fun fantasy world stuff. i never played the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Gunpowder isn't exactly a technology. The Chinese already had it back in the 9th century. Flintlock stuff happened in the 1700's. And how do you know that these folks don't have robust metal alloys?
    Well, evidently they do but it seems weird that they don't seem to use them for making anything else besides guns, such as bridges or multi-storey buildings for example. But if it's proprietary Dwarf tech I suppose that might explain it.

Ultimate Member

Well, evidently they do but it seems weird that they don't seem to use them for making anything else besides guns, such as bridges or multi-storey buildings for example. But if it's proprietary Dwarf tech I suppose that might explain it.
    ...what?

They had bridges, multi story buildings and entire cities that floated because of magic.