Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are you enjoying RYV more than recent ASM?

Pretty simple question----for me, the answer is "yes". I realize we have one more issue to go for RYV and I also realize Slott has a tendency to fumble at the goal but, regardless of what RYV #5 holds, these first 4 issues display a warmth and heart for Peter that has really been lacking since ASM Vol 3 launched last year. Honestly, this seems like the first time Slott is writing Peter correctly since before Superior Spider-Man started. I really enjoyed SSM (except for the rushed finale) and I thought Spider-Verse was a load of fun but neither had Peter as a central character, a problem that I think has plagued a good chunk of Slott's run. RYV has corrected that and I hope this universe continues in some form post-Secret Wars.

BANNED

I love me some Slott, but I don't really care for the RYV universe. Outside of Peter and MJ being married with a kid, it doesn't really stand out to me. The world coulda used some stylizing, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I love me some Slott, but I don't really care for the RYV universe. Outside of Peter and MJ being married with a kid, it doesn't really stand out to me. The world coulda used some stylizing, if that makes sense.

yeah, I know what you mean; but I guess I am just reacting to how Peter (as well as MJ) are written here. I am not a "bring back the marriage" guy at all but I do think Peter is portrayed a lot closer to the way he should be here than he has been lately over in ASM. Sure, the RYV world is kinda sketchy and Regent is a pretty boring villain as most nigh-omnipotent beings are, especially those that rise up out of nowhere but I still find this series immensely enjoyable and closer to classic Spidey than most of Slott's recent output.

I really enjoy this series, and for me it all comes down to the characterization. Peter and MJ behave and speak the way that I feel they should. Peter is written as a competent adult with strong morals and principles, and MJ is written as an intelligent, powerful woman. For me, it's the Peter and MJ that I love, and they are the characters that I feel haven't always been given due justice in recent years.

Yeah I enjoy RYV more then the entire ASM Vol 3 and Goblin Nation. There's a point when Dan Slott made Peter be the guy who worried more about his superhero life then his civilian one. It also makes me worried for the new ASM, if it ends up being Vol 3 all over again.

For me what makes RYV more enjoyable is that it's really clear to see what's at stake for Peter and the story revolves around that. Specially with Spider-Verse, it seemed those stories had Peter there just cause he had nothing better to do. I guess Peter himself being in danger doesn't hold the same type of drama anymore cause we actually saw him lose his life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    yeah, I know what you mean; but I guess I am just reacting to how Peter (as well as MJ) are written here. I am not a "bring back the marriage" guy at all but I do think Peter is portrayed a lot closer to the way he should be here than he has been lately over in ASM. Sure, the RYV world is kinda sketchy and Regent is a pretty boring villain as most nigh-omnipotent beings are, especially those that rise up out of nowhere but I still find this series immensely enjoyable and closer to classic Spidey than most of Slott's recent output.
    It just feels so routine. Here's a kid, Peter gives up his superhero life for the kid, then realizes he needs to be Spidey again for the sake of his adorable child. It's like it was written specifically to tug the heartstrings and pander.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 08-20-2015 at 07:44 AM.

It just feels so routine. Here's a kid, Peter gives up his superhero life for the kid, then realizes he needs to be Spidey again for the sake of his adorable child. It's like it was written specifically to tug the heartstrings and pander.
    I hear you; guess I am just really, really enjoying the characterization more than the narrative. That sweet Kubert art ain't hurting things either for me....

BANNED

I hear you; guess I am just really, really enjoying the characterization more than the narrative. That sweet Kubert art ain't hurting things either for me....
    Don't get me wrong, the whole parent thing is a fun characterization to explore. Especially when the kid is adorable and does adorable kid things that oh my god my kid did the same thing it's like they're funny little people.

Just once, though, I hope we someday get an ugly Parker child.

Just once, though, I hope we someday get an ugly Parker child.
    Does this count? Spidey-Baby_(Earth-23492).jpg
    I hope we see Peter date someone ugly first.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Does this count? Spidey-Baby_(Earth-23492).jpg
    I hope we see Peter date someone ugly first.
    Even he's cute-ugly.

But I agree, Peter dating someone not pretty would be a nice change of pace. I'd even go for someone less ugly per se and more untraditional.

Even he's cute-ugly.

But I agree, Peter dating someone not pretty would be a nice change of pace. I'd even go for someone less ugly per se and more untraditional.
    That is precisely what they were going for with Carlie Cooper but most fans rejected it; same with Deb Whitman back in the PP:SSM days.

BANNED

That is precisely what they were going for with Carlie Cooper but most fans rejected it; same with Deb Whitman back in the PP:SSM days.
    What? No. They are not untraditional. They're just nerdy pretty.

Getting a comic book artist to draw a adult female, not-geriatric character as plain or average, or even less, is like trying to get a Red Sox fan to get a Yankee tattoo.

No. not really. It's better than a sharp stick in the eye, but its not my cup-of-tea.
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Getting a comic book artist to draw a adult female, not-geriatric character as plain or average, or even less, is like trying to get a Red Sox fan to get a Yankee tattoo.
    ^THIS^

We really need to get a "like" button on here----I suppose I should get on that!