Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    Not liking this book as much as I was hoping to. Pacing seems slow, there's been zero progress on the mystery since the first issue and we haven't learned anything new yet we couldn't have guessed after the first issue. Guy's voice seems a little off to me but I'm not quite sure what's rubbing me the wrong way. And I wish the alien lanterns got a little more face time.

I don't think it's a bad book, it's just off to a dull start.
    This is a different take than your regular Green Lantern Corps series. So it may not be your kind of book. I wouldn't say that there's "zero" progress on the mystery. There's just lots of places for the Green Lantern Corps to explore and learn. And we should be able to learn more about Relic's universe from a different perspective later down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I have a good feeling that the events in this story will reverse Oa's destruction, and possibly Xanshi's. If the tptb want to remove Xanshi from John's record, this would be the time to do it.
    I hope this is true. Cullen Bunn answered on some interesting questions on reddit. The ongoing series is desired to last around 14 issues. I don't know if that's considered a mini or not though. He says that he needs at least a year to tell the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    This is a different take than your regular Green Lantern Corps series. So it may not be your kind of book. I wouldn't say that there's "zero" progress on the mystery. There's just lots of places for the Green Lantern Corps to explore and learn. And we should be able to learn more about Relic's universe from a different perspective later down the line.
    I agree. I wouldn't say there is zero progress, either. It's just that Bunn isn't giving everything away at once and is making sure the series is accommodating to new readers of Green Lantern books, who may have no idea who Relic and Krona are, or who don't know much about John's military history. It's only the third issue, and Bunn is still setting mysteries up, like what side Relic is on.

I hope this is true. Cullen Bunn answered on some interesting questions on reddit. The ongoing series is desired to last around 14 issues. I don't know if that's considered a mini or not though. He says that he needs at least a year to tell the story.
    I think that would be considered a maxi-series, at the least. There are some really interesting insights in that link. Thanks for posting that. I hope the crossover between Sinestro and Lost Army happens. I would to see a John Stewart-led Green Lantern Corps taking on a Sinestro-led Sinestro Corps. And yeah, I would prefer for Xanshi to be done away with, too. It doesn't really do much for the character at the moment (the only time it really did was Mosaic), and John Stewart's naysayers just constantly use it to take jabs at the character, so it isn't adding anything beneficial at this juncture, aside from the Fatality villain, and I think John has wrapped up his story with her in the Jensen run.

Astonishing Member

Par for the course for Lantern books, though - the threads usually run for about a year, feed into a big storyline, then start the process over again.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I agree. I wouldn't say there is zero progress, either. It's just that Bunn isn't giving everything away at once and is making sure the series is accommodating to new readers of Green Lantern books, who may have no idea who Relic and Krona are, or who don't know much about John's military history. It's only the third issue, and Bunn is still setting mysteries up, like what side Relic is on.
    I was going to add the fact that the series is one big arc; spanning between 12-14 issues as well.

I think that would be considered a maxi-series, at the least. There are some really interesting insights in that link. Thanks for posting that. I hope the crossover between Sinestro and Lost Army happens. I would to see a John Stewart-led Green Lantern Corps taking on a Sinestro-led Sinestro Corps. And yeah, I would prefer for Xanshi to be done away with, too. It doesn't really do much for the character at the moment (the only time it really did was Mosaic), and John Stewart's naysayers just constantly use it to take jabs at the character, so it isn't adding anything beneficial at this juncture, aside from the Fatality villain, and I think John has wrapped up his story with her in the Jensen run.
    No problem! I found out that he was answering questions at the last minute. If I knew about it earlier, I would've notified everyone. That comment stood out the most to me. I really want to see a crossover between the two series. It's good to hear that Cullen Bunn is taking consideration into making a crossover. I'm assuming if there will be a crossover, it's going to be more of a story that competes on leadership skills between John and Sinestro. I remembered a while back that we discussed this lots of times in the John's appreciation thread. If Xanshi is done away with, that would be good, since other writers can focus on other areas with John, and not the horrible past that hurt the character throughout the years.

I was going to add the fact that the series is one big arc; spanning between 12-14 issues as well.

No problem! I found out that he was answering questions at the last minute. If I knew about it earlier, I would've notified everyone. That comment stood out the most to me. I really want to see a crossover between the two series. It's good to hear that Cullen Bunn is taking consideration into making a crossover. I'm assuming if there will be a crossover, it's going to be more of a story that competes on leadership skills between John and Sinestro. I remembered a while back that we discussed this lots of times in the John's appreciation thread. If Xanshi is done away with, that would be good, since other writers can focus on other areas with John, and not the horrible past that hurt the character throughout the years.
    Not doing a crossover between Lost Army and Sinestro would be a big missed opportunity, since Bunn is writing both, and he's been building up tension between John and Sinestro ever since "Godhead," and showcasing both of their different leadership styles. Another crossover would usually make me groan, but this one just makes too much sense to me.

In any event, whether in Lost Army or afterward, I think John and Sinestro will have to clash with the way Cullen Bunn has been building things. I think it would be most beneficial if Cullen Bunn is to write both books when this happens.
    Last edited by Desh; 08-26-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I need to go back and pick up the Sinestro comic. It fell off my pull list as DC and Marvel were showering us with new shinies. I hope there's a crossover. That would be really awesome.

I think he had plans on the GLC/Sinestro crossover around the time in the Godhead crossover. The John/Sinestro dynamic was really good, so it wouldn't surprise me if he planned that far back. If the crossover was announced, that would be one of the best announcements of the year for me. I think what's holding him back a little is DC editorial may not allow it, because they still want the "looser" continuity still intact. Seeing that the Sinestro's Corps is having a bigger opportunity to moderate the universe, while the entire GLC is gone...well there's going to be a crossover somewhere down the line.

I believe I read Bunn say that Lost Army is building to something huge. Maybe he's alluding to this crossover and doesn't want to firmly come out and say it since it hasn't been officially announced yet. Though, I get a feeling Lost Army is building up to a lot of things. If editorial isn't sure about doing the crossover, it could be because there have been so many crossovers in Green Lantern books lately that they're wary of doing another one so soon.

It's also worth noting that Bunn said other colored Lanterns would show up in Lost Army, and I didn't get the feeling he was talking about the Lightsmiths. I'm not sure how that would happen. Either the war between the Sinestro Corps and GLC carries out in Lost Army, or other Lanterns wind up in this universe before the universe, too.

This is a great issue, and a really great series, overall. I think the big mystery at this point--next to how the Lanterns wound up in the old universe to begin with--is what the significance of Krona's presence is. He will obviously play some massive role. I wonder if Relic's theory on the Emotional Reservoir draining is wrong and Krona is actually the cause of the universe ending. Though, that begs the question of what caused the Source Wall to start breaking in the current universe during "Lights Out." There was some monstrous thing that started to break out from the other side of the Source Wall at the end of "Godhead." Perhaps that had something to do with it.

I really like Arisia, too. I'm hoping she'll be okay. I think she will.
    I hope you're right. I really hated the whole "Emotional reservoir draining" angle of the last year so I would love Relic to be proven wrong.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    I hope you're right. I really hated the whole "Emotional reservoir draining" angle of the last year so I would love Relic to be proven wrong.
    I think he very well may be. It's hard to believe DC would indefinitely have the Green Lanterns draining the life force of the universe every time they use their rings. Somehow, I think that situation will be cleared up or rectified with this story. It's actually been brought out in the comics that Relic may be wrong.