View Poll Results: Should Miller be blond when portraying Barry?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 32.43%
  • No

25 67.57%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    The Flash's costume is certainly the most iconic thing about him, but I disagree with this sentiment (at least as expressed here), as I believe that each man behind the mask is their own character, and shuffling appearances and personalities kind of frowns on that legacy aspect of it.
    Sure, but that is not even remotely what "iconic" means in the English language.

BANNED

Well, lots of those 36,000 would likely stop buying the comic, then DC would say "Just kidding!"
    Turning female did wonders for Thor's sales numbers.

I think you're overestimating the dogmatic extremism of most comicbook readers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    To me Neal McDonough is the spitting image of how I see Barry Allen. I like Shipp and Gustin as Barry, but it's too bad that McDonough never played the Flash in a TV show or movie in his younger days when he would have fit the part.
    Fifteen-twenty years ago perhaps. He's a better Jay Garrick now.

I don't understand what's so weird about a guy with short blond hair. Live action is just as visual as comics and the visual of Barry gets the message across very quick who he is and where he comes from. Middle-America--looks like the typical policeman--traditional values. You know who he is as soon as you see him.
    Middle-America is the part of the US that was settled by the Scandinavians? American policemen are typically blond?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Middle-America is the part of the US that was settled by the Scandinavians? American policemen are typically blond?
    Men in the military and law enforcement typically have very short hair--partly because it's often a requirement. When I was in the navy, I had very short blond hair--and that was in the late '70s when you would often get picked on by civilians for having short hair. Funny thing is, when our ship went to Norway, the sailors there had long hair (often blond).

It's the shortness of his hair, as much as the colour of that hair, which I think is defining. There was a time when people thought Barry's crew cut was weird--and he was forced to have longer hair that made him look like Gary Collns on THE SIXTH SENSE (the '70s TV series), but I think they should have stuck with the crew cut to show the contrast in his character with others. In a team like the Justice League, it's good to have characters who represent different backgrounds and social groups.

If Grant Gustin or Ezra Miller had very short hair cuts, that would go a long way in making them look more like Barry Allen--even if they aren't blond. I thought that Stephen Amell in the late third season of ARROW, when he had his crew cut, looked more like how Barry should look than Grant Gustin.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Sure, but that is not even remotely what "iconic" means in the English language.
    It's a good thing my response didn't claim my disagreement rested on his civilian image being iconic then.

Turning female did wonders for Thor's sales numbers.

I think you're overestimating the dogmatic extremism of most comicbook readers.
    I was operating under the assumption there were that many thousands of protesters in that hypothetical. I'm sure the industry would keep chugging along. There's always something new or different to boost sales and negotiate with fans.

Just as I was starting to think, "hey it isn't so bad, it's normal, trust them, it will be okay"...

I'm scared.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Just as I was starting to think, "hey it isn't so bad, it's normal, trust them, it will be okay"...

I'm scared.
    If all that's true, based on him only cameoing in BvS and it setting up the Justice League movie, as well as the very specific description of "post-apocalyptic", I wouldn't be surprised if it was Flash from the future having briefly run back in time to warn the other heroes.

Anyway, I find the whole premise of this thing ridiculous and kind of sad. Suffice it to say that certainly I'm more excited for Miller in the part, based on his enthusiasm and evident charm, than some Joe Schmoe that happens to look more like the guy in the comics.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 09-02-2015 at 11:53 PM.
    Buh-bye

Mighty Member

I'm scared.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I'm trying so hard to be optimistic... but that entire instagram post squashed all that optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think they should actually make Barry brown haired in the comics.
    Much easier to do.
    And fewer people affected as it has less readers than the show has viewers.
    That's actually a pretty good idea.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

People actually care about what color his hair is? I couldn't care less.

The kid who plays him on TV doesn't look the part at all, mainly cause he looks 12, and it doesn't seem to bug anyone.

Those photoshopped pictures look so freaking creepy.

But on the topic to know if we "need" a blond Barry i would say, no.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Ironically wasn't the original concept of Batman blond and yeah there's Val Kilmer whose mentioned.

No, that's an artist concept of what Kane's Batman might have looked like, sans Finger's input. Based on the quote from Finger - "Kane had an idea for a character called 'Batman', and he'd like me to see the drawings. I went over to Kane's, and he had drawn a character who looked very much like Superman with kind of ... reddish tights, I believe, with boots ... no gloves, no gauntlets ... with a small domino mask, swinging on a rope. He had two stiff wings that were sticking out, looking like bat wings...."
    There is no mention of blond hair.
    If the drawing is from the blog I think it is, they just probably made the concept blond to fantastically over-exaggerate, what Kane got "wrong" and Finger got right.
    The making him blond is completely unnecessary invention by the artist, as Fingers quote speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-31-2020 at 08:09 AM.

I'm scared.
    Don't know much about this film, but can they just call this post apocalyptic Flash character Bart, and have him coming back from the future to find (everyman) not yet powered Barry, to change the fate of the future.
    Maybe the world was sent spiraling toward an apocalypse, because of the dawn of Superheroes, lacking an everyman amongst them.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-03-2015 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Don't know much about this film, but can they just call this post apocalyptic Flash character Bart, and have him coming back from the future to find (everyman) not yet powered Barry, to change the fate of the future.
    Maybe the world was sent spiraling toward an apocalypse, because of the dawn of Superheroes, lacking an everyman amongst them.
    I wouldn't mind that at all. Sounds like a cool story line. But they're set on Ezra being Barry, I think.

I wouldn't mind that at all. Sounds like a cool story line. But they're set on Ezra being Barry, I think.
    Wishful thinking; I'm hoping it's all a ruse, both Barry and Bart can be used as alternative diminutives of the same name Bartholomew. So maybe it's really Bart from the post-apocalyptic future, coming to get Barry who is fittingly ....late! to the show.

But like I said, I haven't really been following this, is this guy slated to be Flash in Batman vs Superman, Dawn of Justice? or is there another Justice League movie? Or a Flash specific film? What are they making?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-04-2015 at 07:06 AM.