Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCya View Post
    I like Millar a lot, Liefeld's Bloodstrike was crazy fun, Avatar has had some fun books like Stitched and Uber, BKV kicks ass. I guess your stupid and nonsensical is my good.
    Does that include The Unfunnies?

As for Avatar, you mentioned Uber. That's kind of all that company has besides maybe Providence. Everything else is a wasteland of edginess, bland art, and "maturity".
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 08-25-2015 at 08:54 PM.

This has been the trend for a while now. Go to Marvel, increase your profile and popularity, and then jump ship to Image where you get control and rights over everything.

Marvel used to be pretty stacked... but a lot of people have left. I think Marvel readers took the last few years for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Is that you Eric Stephenson?
    LOL....no I'm afraid not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderllama View Post
    This has been the trend for a while now. Go to Marvel, increase your profile and popularity, and then jump ship to Image where you get control and rights over everything.

Marvel used to be pretty stacked... but a lot of people have left. I think Marvel readers took the last few years for granted.
    Actually no....Marvel and DC go after talent they think that would garner some spotlight. Brian Micheal Bendis...he was best known for Jinx and Torso. He did some Sam & Twitch (Spawn) comics before Marvel sought him out. His Powers series was before Marvel and even won awards. Marvel and DC don't hire unknowns too often. The majority of them are established creators like Bendis who's work has gone under the superhero radar.

A lot readers just don't know what's out there besides Marvel and DC.

As for Avatar, you mentioned Uber. That's kind of all that company has besides maybe Providence. Everything else is a wasteland of edginess, bland art, and "maturity".
    Avatar is everything I mistakenly assumed "mature" comic books were when I was a snobby kid. I never knew there was amazing stuff like Image, I thought it was all in the vain of Crossed, ultraviolence and hypersexuality. Honestly, their books make me cringe when I have tried them.
    Also you're right about the sole exception being Providence. It is so jarringly different that I had to double check who the publisher was. But also, the series is set in the same world as his older book Neonomicon, which also started slow but then turned into a multiple issue rape scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderllama View Post
    Yeah, I feel like Marvel had been knocking it out of the park for a couple years with all the good talent they had recruited. Now half of them have left for Image. I would say that the last few years had more good Marvel runs than the whole decade before it, which was essentially Grant Morrison's New X-Men and a zillion Bendis books.

Did Matt Fraction also leave Marvel? I never really caught what all the Hawkeye delays were about, but I don't see his name on any current or upcoming Marvel books.
    I don't see Ales Kot on any upcoming books, either. Who does Marvel still have besides Jason Aaron? Don't say Bendis and Slott, that isn't something they should brag about at this point.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 08-26-2015 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Did Matt Fraction also leave Marvel? I never really caught what all the Hawkeye delays were about, but I don't see his name on any current or upcoming Marvel books.
    I don't see Ales Kot on any upcoming books, either. Who does Marvel still have besides Jason Aaron? Don't say Bendis and Slott, that isn't something they should brag about at this point.
    Theoretically, the new, young Image-writers they have recruited, will now prove to be just as good as the old guard. Well, hopefully, if Marvel Editorial knows what they're doing.

I SEEEERIOUUUSSSLY doubt ANY of them will be of Hickman's calibre tho' - a mind like his, you only see once a generation. In ten years maybe... but not until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Think those delays were mostly down to David Aja, he's just a very slow, meticulous artist. Remember reading that Fraction had the scripts done months ago already. I'm secretly hoping those two will do some work of their own one day, maybe at Image or Dark Horse. It would take forever to come out obviously, but the wait would be worth it.

Yes, Fraction has left Marvel.

BANNED

We Get To Do Whatever We Want...

That's all fine and good until you realize that's not always a good thing. It's great to have creative freedom, but you still sometimes need someone to wrangle you in from doing something stupid or nonsensical (Mark Millar, Frank Miller, Rob Liefeld, everyone at Avatar, Vaughan and Remender on occasion).
    This is why I no longer read Grant Morrison...too much "Do Whatever" that reads like non-sensical, self-aggrandizing tripe...

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Think those delays were mostly down to David Aja, he's just a very slow, meticulous artist. Remember reading that Fraction had the scripts done months ago already. I'm secretly hoping those two will do some work of their own one day, maybe at Image or Dark Horse. It would take forever to come out obviously, but the wait would be worth it.
    They were on David, yes. Marvel also delayed the last issue because it wasn't a priority anymore. Hollingsworth had other priority work to color so it got delayed there, too.

I'm almost 100% certain that we can expect a Fraction/Aja Image book in the next year. I'd be shocked if we didn't. The Image 'arc-skip months-arc' format so many are using lately would really suit Aja's slower pace.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmahananda View Post
    This is why I no longer read Grant Morrison...too much "Do Whatever" that reads like non-sensical, self-aggrandizing tripe...
    I'm the exact opposite, I feel like he gets better with age. He seems to loose grip on reality more and more every year and write weirder and weirder stuff.
    I also realize he does very niche stuff and totally see where people could be turned off to his new style. Now that he is a "comics legend" (Rolling Stone magazine) nobody tells him what to do. So his work isn't as mainstream accessible. But to those who love his style, it is a blessing that books like his even exist. He's the one dude who can write superhero books for the Big 2 that rival Watchmen IMO.

I kind of hated The Unfunnies. It was too dark and nasty.

And I guess you're right about most Avatar books. But I don't read most of their books. And there are worse companies, like Zenoscope.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Best wishes to his family. I'm glad that he's doing his own thing. More creators should.

I really enjoyed his CAPTAIN AMERICA but it was spinning its wheels at the end.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I feel as though working for the big two is becoming less and less appealing to a lot of comic book creators. You can tell that the editors have had a lot tighter grip on the wheel since this modern age of blockbuster superhero movies started. Their use to be a debate about whether comics should be writer or artist driven. In the case of the modern big two it's neither. The big two are editor driven now. Everything is about "crossovers" and "events", things that diminish the talent on any one book and exalt editors who put the whole thing together. You could see how some creators might not like that and jump ship. After all, why are you going give a giant multinational conglomerate all your good ideas, only to have some editor mess it up, or worse, erase it from existence in his or her next ill conceived "event" story?

Amazing Member

How many issues and how long?

Please don't be years and years 1-2 should be max else milking us taking up storage space and we get bored

As like east of west I rarely buy them now