Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Tokyo Ghost discussion

The Isles of Los Angeles 2089: Humanity is addicted to technology, a population of unemployed leisure seekers blissfully distracted from toxic contamination, who borrow, steal, and kill to buy their next digital fix. Getting a virtual buzz is the only thing left to live for. It's the biggest industry, the only industry, the drug everyone needs, and gangsters run it all.
    And who do these gangsters turn to when they need their rule enforced? Constables Led Dent and Debbie Decay. This duo is about to be given a job that will force them out of the familiar squalor of Los Angeles to take down the last tech-less country on Earth: The Garden Nation of Tokyo.
    Bestselling writer RICK REMENDER (BLACK SCIENCE, DEADLY CLASS) and superstar art team SEAN MURPHY (CHRONONAUTS, Punk Rock Jesus) and MATT HOLLINGSWORTH (WYTCHES, Hawkeye) examine our growing addiction to technology while thirsting for a nature we continue to destroy.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Humanity is addicted to technology, a population of unemployed leisure seekers blissfully distracted from toxic contamination, who borrow, steal, and kill to buy their next digital fix. Getting a virtual buzz is the only thing left to live for. It's the biggest industry, the only industry, the drug everyone needs
    This book on my tablet will be my next "digital fix". This book better get me high like the premise promises. I am fiending that "virtual buzz".

This has been on my pull list for MONTHS... just waiting to be released. Can't wait.

This issue was just okay, as far as debuts go. The concept is cool, but the execution was iffy. I hope we never see that Davey guy again, I can;t recall there ever being a more obnoxious antagonist in a Remender book. All that 4chan lingo was making me cringe. Also, it is trying to convey the "America is evil" theme in the style of Saga or East Of West, but he made it a bit too blunt, and it comes off more like Bitch Planet or We Stand On Guard. I feel like Remender is judging anyone who uses the internet just because a couple trolls harassed him on Twitter or something. They even showed people talking shit about this book on the web feeds to demonstrate where their dislike of the internet comes from.

Amazing Member

I really loved it, but I also adore Cyberpunk.

I thought it was a great issue. If anyone ever cringes when they see people glued to their phones when surrounded by people, this is probably a book for you.
    Of course, I dare. I'm Hal Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalorock View Post
    I thought it was a great issue. If anyone ever cringes when they see people glued to their phones when surrounded by people, this is probably a book for you.
    Yes!

I loved that commentary.

Also, the "twamp" tweets making fun of each of the creators gave me a nice chuckle.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    This issue was just okay, as far as debuts go. The concept is cool, but the execution was iffy. I hope we never see that Davey guy again, I can;t recall there ever being a more obnoxious antagonist in a Remender book. All that 4chan lingo was making me cringe. Also, it is trying to convey the "America is evil" theme in the style of Saga or East Of West, but he made it a bit too blunt, and it comes off more like Bitch Planet or We Stand On Guard. I feel like Remender is judging anyone who uses the internet just because a couple trolls harassed him on Twitter or something. They even showed people talking shit about this book on the web feeds to demonstrate where their dislike of the internet comes from.
    "I'm going expert hardcore all the way to the big boss!", makes my skin crawl. And it's not even the words that bother me, its the "definitely too old to know how people use these" way they are thrown together. Please no more Davey. I liked it, but it's my least favorite of Remender's image books for now. Hopefully the next issue will change my mind.

Very good start to this book with great pace. I thought it was an incredibly fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffera View Post
    I really loved it, but I also adore Cyberpunk.
    Maybe that is my issue, not being a big cyberpunk fan. I loved Battle Angel Alita, and it was my first cyberpunk, and now everything else feels like a cheap imitation, even when they are things that came before Alita even began. Cyberpunk never seems to have any new themes, just variations of the same theme. And I enjoy some genres that do the same thing, most superhero books are also just "more of the same", but I find cyberpunk is not one I get into easily.

I didn't like this at all. I wasn't feeling the lead character that much and the villain's dialogue was just terrible.
    We need better comics

All-New Member

remender has been terrible lately, this is issue was meh...good enough to keep me going onto issue 2. idk how good of an intro this was to the book...

Couldnt get in to this one. People have been raving about how good it is, but I'm not seeing it

Quote Originally Posted by el shah View Post
    Couldnt get in to this one. People have been raving about how good it is, but I'm not seeing it
    If the villain wasn't so cringey, I might have been able to enjoy the ride more. But it was a rare experience, I felt actual embarrassment for Remender just reading the book.

Long Ago User...

loved it! Remender writing and the Murphy art is a perfect pairing for all the craziness going on in this book!