Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I really liked this issue, the art and most of the writing, but I also must admit that Davey was "too much" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob g View Post
    I really liked this issue, the art and most of the writing, but I also must admit that Davey was "too much" for me.
    Totally agreed. The lingo Davey used was just bad and cringe-worthy at best. That being said, I loved the art and the concept is really unique so I'm happily awaiting Issue #2.

Quote Originally Posted by LionLloyd13 View Post
    Totally agreed. The lingo Davey used was just bad and cringe-worthy at best. That being said, I loved the art and the concept is really unique so I'm happily awaiting Issue #2.
    The way Davey spoke is the way I hear kids on Xbox Live talk all the time. In Tokyo Ghost... that kid grew up to be Davey. And I'm not surprised that's how he talks lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    The way Davey spoke is the way I hear kids on Xbox Live talk all the time. In Tokyo Ghost... that kid grew up to be Davey. And I'm not surprised that's how he talks lol.
    That's fair, I hear the same kinda shit. And I totally understand that's what Remender was going for. I guess it just felt too forced in the way it was written.

Quote Originally Posted by LionLloyd13 View Post
    I guess it just felt too forced in the way it was written.
    Mmm hmm. I know he was going for the cringe factor, but it was too cringey for me to handle. And some parts, Remender doesn't even seem to know what the lingo means. It just felt like the character was written to appeal to a demographic that I like to pretend doesn't exist. As if he was hoping the character would turn into the next big 4chan or reddit meme. Sorry Remender, but Davey is not and never will be the next Bueno Excellente.

Also, I feel bad that I've been bashing this issue. I have a feeling it will win me over once it puts some distance from this Davey fellow. Unless the next issue has him break out of jail and become the series main villain. In which case, I am bailing. Good villains can sell me on a book sometimes more than a good hero, and when a book has dumb villains, I get easily frustrated. I can't be the only Villains fan here, right? And Remender writes great villains usually. Then Davey out of nowhere....
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 09-30-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Mmm hmm. I know he was going for the cringe factor, but it was too cringey for me to handle. And some parts, Remender doesn't even seem to know what the lingo means. It just felt like the character was written to appeal to a demographic that I like to pretend doesn't exist. As if he was hoping the character would turn into the next big 4chan or reddit meme. Sorry Remender, but Davey is not and never will be the next Bueno Excellente.

Also, I feel bad that I've been bashing this issue. I have a feeling it will win me over once it puts some distance from this Davey fellow. Unless the next issue has him break out of jail and become the series main villain. In which case, I am bailing. Good villains can sell me on a book sometimes more than a good hero, and when a book has dumb villains, I get easily frustrated. I can't be the only Villains fan here, right? And Remender writes great villains usually. Then Davey out of nowhere....
    I have a feeling that if he pops up again it won't be a for while. I think the arc is that Led and Debbie end up hightailing it to Japan, so hopefully Davey doesn't just magically appear halfway around the world and ruin the story.

I liked Davey as the villain, I thought he worked well in the "Joker" / symbol-of-anarchy character type way.

The issue was really nuts. I don't know if this was intentional but many pages felt so crammed with art and text that it kind of served as a metaphor for what the characters are meant to be going through (visual overstimulation). The colors were killer and Murphy is obviously having a great time. This is definitely a book where I don't think it would be anywhere near as good with a lesser artist. Only art-related complaint is that Murphy misspelled "Zeus" on the motorcycle art multiple times, which I thought was really distracting. Typos are bad enough in word bubbles but just look really bad in artwork. He spelled it properly on the cover so I can assume the misspelling is not intentional.

My concern with the series is that I think unless Remender really opens up these characters, the themes will get old fast. I already felt a little burned out on the "technology is addictive" and "overstimulation" messages with Led Dent and it was only the first issue. Also, Debbie's voice in the narration boxes didn't match her dialogue at all. I could somewhat accept that as Debbie putting on a show when she speaks, and her narration boxes are her true thoughts, but her voice in her narration boxes felt A LOT like other characters I've read in Remender books (which I basically take as Remender himself), and that was kind of distracting. I did however generally like Debbie as sort of a Looney Tunes like character. The whole book felt like a really f-ed up Looney Tunes style dystopia, with so much hyperviolent energy and color.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Is it me or this was Remender's weakest debut on a creator owned Project? It was merely alright compared to his usual home runs like black science and Low...

Amazing Member

I enjoyed issue #2 immensely and a lot more than the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristoffera View Post
    I enjoyed issue #2 immensely and a lot more than the first issue.
    Yep, it was much much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Yep, it was much much better.
    I thought issue one was pretty good to begin with so this is great news

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I thought issue one was pretty good to begin with so this is great news
    Like you I really enjoyed #1 so I wouldn't say #2 was much much better but it was still very good. Can't wait for #3.

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    Like you I really enjoyed #1 so I wouldn't say #2 was much much better but it was still very good. Can't wait for #3.
    Same here. But then again I'd read a Murphy illustrated instruction manual for a lawn mower.

But they really fleshed out the characters and the world more, and the glimpse of Tokyo is intriguing.

Can we rename this thread, since it has become the thread for the whole series, and not just issue #1?

I just finished 1 and 2. Wow, the art and colors are great! I really like how busy, fast, bizarre, and even beautiful this is. I can relate to the addiction aspect personally and feel for Debbies need for love. Her mom, Jesus, lol. Davey didn't bother me too much with his dialogue but I can see the cheesiness. Thankfully for me it didn't kill the book. So far so good for me, can't wait for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    I just finished 1 and 2. ... Davey didn't bother me too much with his dialogue but I can see the cheesiness.
    If I had read issues 1 and 2 back to back like you did, I wouldn't have minded Davey as much. But with just issue #1, he seemed to have more dialogue than the actual main characters, and him dominating the book left me with a lot to be desired. Issue 2 is the one that really sells you on the 2 main characters and their struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Can we rename this thread, since it has become the thread for the whole series, and not just issue #1?
    I'll second this, if it's something mods can do here. We could make anoter thread I guess, but all the good discussion is already in this one.