Page 5 of 135 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 13/14 Football

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    Well I was thinking that there was one or two that could move into midfield roles if needed. Truth tell my team would probably be one or two players different if I wasn't limited to Sky's choices. But my first team from my picked squad would be

Hart
    Stones Cahill Jagielka Baines
    Sterling Gerrard Barkley Lallana
    Rooney Sturridge

I was having a good goalkeeper debate with mates in the pub about do you play your best goalkeeper or the one in the best current form?
    Well, to some extent you'd think the better keeper would up his game at the World Cup, but then the spot ought to go to the player who's earned it.

I'd pick a starting XI in a 4-2-3-1:

Hart
    Johnson Cahill Jagielka Cole/Baines
    Gerrard Henderson
    Sterling Rooney/Lallana Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Sturridge

On paper I reckon that's a pretty strong side. Johnson's a bit of a weak spot to me but I haven't seen Flanagan, Stones or Jones play right-back enough to justify picking one of them. Set up right that team could be lethal on the counter-attack with Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain both being able to get forward very quickly and with Sturridge in the box.

Lets do a Team of the decade thing

Since ive only been alive since the 90s lets start with the 90s!

GK P Schmeical
    RB Thuram
    CB Costracurta
    CB Baresi
    LB Maldini
    CDM Sammer
    RM D Beckham
    LM M Laudrup
    CAM Baggio
    ST Ronaldo
    ST Romario

With aplogies to R Giggs,LMathaeus, Z Zidane, A Del Piero, J Stam, L Figo, Stoichkov, F Redondo, Raul, C Vieri, G Hagi et all

Note this is strictly based on "at their peak, in the nineties"

Ok 2000s

GK G Buffon
    RB Cafu
    CB Maldini
    CB Nesta
    LB R Carlos
    CDM P Vieira
    RM C Ronaldo
    LM Ronaldinho
    CAM Z Zidane
    ST L Messi
    ST T Henry

With apologies to Messrs Scholes, Giggs, Keane, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard, Deco, Shevchenko, Eto, Drogba, R van Nistelrooy, Raul, C Vieri, F Totti, I Casilias, C Puyol, F Torres, Xavi, Iniesta, Kaka, D Alves, G Neville, A Cole, P Evra, N Vidic, R Carvahalo, Rivaldo, Ronaldo et all

And finally 2010s

GK M Neuer
    RB D Alves
    CB V Kompany
    CB T Silva
    LB P Lahm
    CDM S Busquets
    RM A Robben
    LM C Ronaldo
    CAM A Iniesta
    ST L Messi
    ST L Suarez

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has questioned midfielder Eden Hazard's commitment during matches.
    Mourinho suggested that the Belgian should have tracked Juanfran in the build-up to Adrian Lopez's equaliser in the 3-1 defeat by Atletico Madrid.
    Hazard, 23, has claimed that the Blues are only set up to counter-attack.
    "When the comments come from a player like Eden it's normal because he's not the kind of player to sacrifice himself for the team," said Mourinho.
    "He's not mentally ready to look to his left-back and leave his life for him.
    "Normally you get these kind of comments from players like him, from players that can't resolve a problem like we had with the first goal.
    "If you see Atletico's first goal, you completely understand where the mistake was and why we conceded that goal."

So is that Hazard following Mata out the door?
    Of course the fact his defenders didn't pick up the player, and were at fault for at least two of the goals don't come into it.

Newcastle fans are planning a walkout during Saturday's game against Cardiff in protest over the club's management.
    It is set to take place in the 69th minute and comes after the worst losing run since 1986-87 that has seen them slip from European contention to a possible finish outside the top 10.

Interesting to see if the whole stadium empties.
    It's notable that Newcastle are supposed to be playing in 'The Best League in the World' and have been relentlessly rubbish for a while and they'll still finish mid-table.

I asked about the state of QPR's accounts. David Conn of the Guardian obviously thought the same thing and has produced this astonishing article which shows the mess QPR are in.

Rangers' financial accounts for 2012-13 confirm the impression at Loftus Road that the club overspent for manager Mark Hughes and his replacement Harry Redknapp, in a vain effort to avoid relegation, producing a wage bill of £78m, 128% of the club's entire turnover.
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...tletico-madrid

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Manly View Post
    Ok 2000s

GK G Buffon
    RB Cafu
    CB Maldini
    CB Nesta
    LB R Carlos
    CDM P Vieira
    RM C Ronaldo
    LM Ronaldinho
    CAM Z Zidane
    ST L Messi
    ST T Henry
    Sounds about right to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Know if there's any truth to rumours about Balotelli leaving Milan in the summer?
    Meh predicting Balotelli is impossible.

Anyway at this point my interest in Club Football is basically zilch outside of the UCL Final of course. Rooting for Real. Its time to get to the main event ie The World Cup.

Well, to some extent you'd think the better keeper would up his game at the World Cup, but then the spot ought to go to the player who's earned it.

I'd pick a starting XI in a 4-2-3-1:

Hart
    Johnson Cahill Jagielka Cole/Baines
    Gerrard Henderson
    Sterling Rooney/Lallana Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Sturridge
    thats the team I'd have, though I'd prefer more of a 4-3-3.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Sounds about right to me.
    I wouldn't have Messi, who wasn't really there as the player he is until 2008, I don't really enjoy those sort of lists anyway.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Pharah x Mercy
    There is a land called passive-agressiva, and I am their queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    Man, Benfica are just so strong in the europa league. Did you see that post I made about Heat conditions in the World Cup Beetles? Gives me a glimmer of Hope that England might get out of that group, just a glimmer mind you.
    But only a glimmer.

Keep in mind that Italy has already had experience playing in the north of Brazil (e.g. Fortaleza, where they managed to have more possession than Spain in that game) and since Prandelli looks to be keeping the core of that squad along with a few additions (Immobile, Verratti, et al), that should give them a slight advantage.

That article honestly came across as hyping England's chances a little, in the midst of all the doom and gloom about Europeans not being able to handle the humidity.

Don't get me wrong though, England could still make it out of the group, but I expect Italy to make it out alongside them.

I've not seen Alan yet.

I almost get the feeling that Mourinho isn't enjoying it at Chelsea and kind of wishes he could get out. Seems determined to be as problematic as possible.
    I thought he wanted to go back though? And that he was 'loved' there?

It seems like Mourinho is content to leave a trail of destruction in his wake wherever he goes.

Edit: Correcting myself. Italy actually played Spain in Fortaleza, and they played Uruguay in Belo Horizonte. I'm very sleep deprived right now ...
    Last edited by beetlebum; 05-03-2014 at 06:17 AM.
    Psychologically, the guns you use will define you ~ Pharoahe Monch

I like ladies who wear purple | Kate Bishop | Helena Bertinelli

Wonder Woman is The Love of My Life | Forza Azzurri

I don't get that feeling from Mourinho at all, but time will tell.

And Brighton are in the play-offs! And Birmingham have stayed up! A lot of my fellow Brightonians will be pleased about the former.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by beetlebum View Post
    I thought he wanted to go back though? And that he was 'loved' there?
    I very much had the impression he was after the United job and took Chelsea as some sort of consolation.