Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'll argue with that . . . we don't know what percentage of readers are digital only these days, so it could be more significant. And the orders by U.S. retailers through Diamond can be very misleading on how popular titles are because we don't know if those orders were based more on customer interest or gullibility of retailers. There had been a lot of talk about how Convergence would be such an epic, DC Universe-changing event on places like this (even though some of us kept trying to point out how it was more like a gap-filler that wouldn't have such a major effect on all of the (then) New 52 titles / universe) that I'm sure there were quite a few shops that over-ordered so they wouldn't be caught short when it came to the demand that didn't necessarily materialize. (I know my shop had the owner grumbling about how many of the books didn't sell very well.)
    I'm sorry, let me rephrase. In terms of how much money DC made or how successful they were *from floppies*, then it doesn't matter whether the retailers re-sold them or not, DC had their money at that point.

It wasn't my intention to speak to digital or anything else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lorddominicus85 View Post

"I've got a feeling that a radical change in the format US comic books are currently published wouldn't be well received by the readers. But that doesn't change the fact that, as far as I am concerned, this format is a complete disaster which IMHO strongly contributed to the decline of American comics in the latest decades.
    4 $ for a 22-page floppy full of ads; months and months to read a single story which, due to micromanagement and bad editorial, is often full of mistakes and contradictions, fill-in artists and writers, well, that's simply ridiculous." - Myskin

What's sad is very little Marvel or DC or anyone else is doing is received well by the readers now. People are upset about the increase in pricing and advertising,upset about the over saturation of certain characters who always pull numbers, upset about the never ending siege of game changing events but no one knows what to do about it.
    Well, that's not entirely true. I mean, personally speaking I am extremely happy with what Image is doing now, and I think that Dark Horse and Boom are producing interesting stories as well. It's high quality material, full off interesting elements, sophisticated stories. Marvel and DC are the problem. Especially DC.

I think DC and Marvel should keep experimenting with OGN's. And honestly that may be an idea worth looking into, dropping an OGN near the release date of one of their movies featuring recognizable versions of the characters in the blockbuster in a complete story. They can have a shared universe, continue stories started in earlier volumes and help guide the future of their properties much the way Walking Dead does but do it in a more sustainable format that can be directly tied to the movie and promoted as must read material for anyone who is a fan of the movie.
    From my personal point of view, the floppy 22-page format should be abandoned forever, not only once a year, and I don't think that tying it to the movies would help. Sooner or later the superhero cinema wave will fade out, and by the way nobody can be sure that the future movies will be good enough to justify the tie-in. I'd really like comic books to stay on paper, but in an entirely different format.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Does anyone have any of the sales figures on the Convergence "event"? I'm wondering just how well that actually sold and how much that contributed to the loss of the 2 million...
    The article says nothing about Convergence being one of the causes of the loss though.

Look, there are deep issues within the comic industry, not specific to DC, which contribute to this mess. The business model is obsolete. Physical distribution of the product is more difficult. There is more and more competition for entertainment dollars. Price of comics and other problems people have brought up over and over again. Comics are a niche hobby, and readership of the monthly floppies continues to dwindle. That is not going to change. Until the industry as a whole changes the way it does business, by leaving the direct market distribution model, or switching over exclusively to trades and OGN's or going full digital, then we're in a slow downward spiral. New readers are not going to be enticed by a $3-$4 monthly floppy. It ain't gonna happen.

What is specific to DC are the people running the joint. I didn't get excited about DC You, because the same people in charge are the same group which oversaw the decline and demise of the pre-Flashpoint DCU and the fall of the NU52. DC badly needs new blood at the top. More than a band-aid, more than a shot in the arm, people with a vision toward the future who are willing to enact real change and not just keep circling the drain.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-
    Benjamin Franklin

Astonishing Member

Well you were doing pretty well there until you used a personal anecdote to try to explain a larger trend of DC's sales and use it as a basis to advocate reform.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Yeah I'm not paying this any mind until I see cancellations/overhauls.

Bleeding Cool will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to make/keep "batgirling" a thing. So yeah big grain of salt.
    I didnt make anything a thing. That was the phrase reported to me by DC people as being used internally to the publisher.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    1- Mental masturbation because of a rumor started by a notorious click-baiter.
    2- Blame DC for everything wrong on comics industry, while exempting everybody else.
    I never start rumours. I report them.
    What have I blamed DC for? Who have I exempted?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    The actual "Convergence" series sold pretty well, so I assume that the problem is the tie-in series not selling as well as expected.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-comics-...happened-next/

Frankly I thought those two months sold more comics than I expected they would.
    Check out its conditions for returnability.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    I never start rumours. I report them.
    Yeah, you keep telling yourself that, Rich, if it helps you sleep at night. Maybe someday someone starts to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    What have I blamed DC for? Who have I exempted?
    Looks like you lack comprehension skills. Good luck with that, Rich!
    Last edited by Thomas Crown; 08-29-2015 at 03:15 AM.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Well you were doing pretty well there until you used a personal anecdote to try to explain a larger trend of DC's sales and use it as a basis to advocate reform.
    Well, I'm just one guy. Nearly all of my anecdotes are personal.
    Benjamin Franklin

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hammergiant View Post
    Look, there are deep issues within the comic industry, not specific to DC, which contribute to this mess. The business model is obsolete. Physical distribution of the product is more difficult. There is more and more competition for entertainment dollars. Price of comics and other problems people have brought up over and over again. Comics are a niche hobby, and readership of the monthly floppies continues to dwindle. That is not going to change. Until the industry as a whole changes the way it does business, by leaving the direct market distribution model, or switching over exclusively to trades and OGN's or going full digital, then we're in a slow downward spiral. New readers are not going to be enticed by a $3-$4 monthly floppy. It ain't gonna happen.

What is specific to DC are the people running the joint. I didn't get excited about DC You, because the same people in charge are the same group which oversaw the decline and demise of the pre-Flashpoint DCU and the fall of the NU52. DC badly needs new blood at the top. More than a band-aid, more than a shot in the arm, people with a vision toward the future who are willing to enact real change and not just keep circling the drain.
    We do not know how many readers there are but we do know how many estimated units the industry sells each year.

2014 was...
    (-2% vs. previous year)
    (+10% vs. 5 years earlier)
    (+11% vs. 10 years earlier)
    (+6% vs. 15 years earlier)

So it is healthier in terms of volume today that it was 5, 10 or even 15 years ago. This doesn't even factor in the growth of trades or digital.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    We do not know how many readers there are but we do know how many estimated units the industry sells each year.

2014 was...
    (-2% vs. previous year)
    (+10% vs. 5 years earlier)
    (+11% vs. 10 years earlier)
    (+6% vs. 15 years earlier)

So it is healthier in terms of volume today that it was 5, 10 or even 15 years ago. This doesn't even factor in the growth of trades or digital.

Sure, by volume. There is more product out on the shelves than any other time, but it's not selling enough. Even comic consumers have more choices than ever, now. I'm just talking about monthly floppies, not trades or digital, because the direct market sale of floppies is still the lifeblood of the industry. If you are Image, things are okay. If you are the corporate Big 2, things are not good. You just have to look at the sales numbers. They are terrible. DC has one book which consistently sells over 100K, and after that it's a steep drop off. This is why we see a steady diet of gimmicks, events and renumberings, because those artificially boost sales. Things were so bad by 2011, DC did a complete reboot. That momentum lasted all of three and a half years before the company tried another new direction. Now, we are being told that too is on the way out. These are not the signs of a healthy industry. It looks more like a stagnant, fragmented industry.
    Benjamin Franklin

DC Comics responds to Bleeding Cool article:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/...ly-news-video/

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

"reading between the lines, this doesn’t actually contradict it" OH, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! Let it go, Rich!
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Well I'm glad they addressed it and they are right, you've got to slow burn changes like this and play the long game. There is no quick fix for the industry as a whole and it's going to take some trial and error to see what works, doesn't work and what the readers will buy into as well as what will attract new readers into your universe. Though the biggest block in my mind will always be the price point of the monthly especially in a world where you can download an episode of your favorite tv show for half the price of a comic book.