Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Why would people even live in Gotham?

Seriously. The place has a crime rate probably higher than anywhere else on DCU Earth and you'd have to put up with stuff like Joker trying to light everything on fire or Scarecrow dropping fear gas on the city daily. I swear, Gotham goes through more sh*t than anywhere else.

Why would anyone stay?

Here are some good reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ19aGp-FQ8

Why do people live in New York ?

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt396 View Post
    Why do people live in New York ?
    New York doesn't have supervillains. Sure they have gangs, but it's nothing like Gotham.

BANNED

I don't know. I wouldn't want to live there. Homicidal clowns, a insane ex-lawyer, crazy ice scientist, it's been take over by criminals multiple times. It should have been abandoned years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    I don't know. I wouldn't want to live there. Homicidal clowns, a insane ex-lawyer, crazy ice scientist, it's been take over by criminals multiple times. It should have been abandoned years ago.
    Abandoned like the strange abundance of abandoned carnivals and warehouses the city has.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I guess even in Gotham, it's not all bad all the time...at least not that much more so than other DCU cities. Metropolis has had its share of attacks over the years, and at least Gotham has remained standing, unlike Coast City and Bludhaven.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Zero Year, the mass assassinations of high ranking figures by the Court Of Owls, the declaration of Martial Law, the flood when Atlantis declared war, the flood prior to Zero Year during the blackout, the Bane Vs Scarecrow carving up of the city and every single one of Joker's massacres have taken place in a period of time shorter than the period from when Dark Knight was in cinemas to now.

Presumably it's like having an apartment next to a rail line. Eventually you just stop noticing.

Cause the money's good. Why they don't learn to defend themselves is another issue entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I guess even in Gotham, it's not all bad all the time...at least not that much more so than other DCU cities. Metropolis has had its share of attacks over the years, and at least Gotham has remained standing, unlike Coast City and Bludhaven.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    With Metropolis you have superman, nothing to be afraid of.

I really want to see a DCU crime rate chart now.

BANNED

It is ridiculous to think that petty crime still occurs in Gotham. If all these vigilantes have been operating for years and years then realistically hand to hand drug deals, muggings, murders, small robberies and other crimes should be happening a lot less. At this point Gotham being the most crime ridden city is just unbelievable. It's known as one of the biggest cities on earth and considering the influence Batman and the GCPD has it just doesn't make sense for small crimes to be happening so frequently.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    It is ridiculous to think that petty crime still occurs in Gotham. If all these vigilantes have been operating for years and years then realistically hand to hand drug deals, muggings, murders, small robberies and other crimes should be happening a lot less. At this point Gotham being the most crime ridden city is just unbelievable. It's known as one of the biggest cities on earth and considering the influence Batman and the GCPD has it just doesn't make sense for small crimes to be happening so frequently.
    well technically the New 52 Batman hasn't been active for that long, only 5 or so years (I don't buy that he's only bee active that long, but that's what they say).

because they can't afford to live anywhere else.
    I mean even metropolis has suicide slum
    gotham isn't all terrible though. I mean look at the Batgirl title Burnside is basically metropolis within Gotham city

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    well technically the New 52 Batman hasn't been active for that long, only 5 or so years (I don't buy that he's only bee active that long, but that's what they say).
    He's def been around for more than 5 years, I mean, he fit in, what, 5 robins in that timeframe?

BANNED

How many times have criminals taken over the city? Bane took over in Knightfall. The entire city fell in No Man's Land (is it still canon for New 52), and the Court of Owls attacked the city after Batman challenged them. And currently Joker is ripping the city apart in Endgame. At this point the military should have a constant presence in Gotham just in case a supervillain starts a war again.