Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Dick Grayson as Nightwing in Bludhaven...bring it back.

DC should've looked to Sarge Steel for a spy book.

DC is a business and a Sarge Steel book would hope to sell as much as Prez or Omega Men. Dick Grayson of the other hand always sells good but has constantly been trying to find his own footing. Nightwing in Bludhaven does nothing but keep Dick Grayson stagnant in a city and mantle that is practically a Sidekick City to Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Yeah but with Jason you'd have him struggling with following Bruce's orders or going off on his own. Dick is just going to do what Bruce wants. Plus he has the personal grudge against Kathy Kane for what happened to Talia in some ways too. I don't think there is any real threat of Dick being corrupted, as he is too stable a person, but someone who is more unstable or prone to poor judgement like Jason is more likely to be swept up in an organization like Spyral I think. Personally he can probably identify with Spyral more with how they operate and remove threats. Dick is always going to be an outsider to them because of his moral code.

I mean I have no idea if it would have been as good or better than Grayson, but I see how it could have worked at least.
    This is kinda strange topic. We could place Spoiler in Grayson's place if we really wanted and, just like with Jason, we would get completely different story to what we are getting now.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    This is kinda strange topic. We could place Spoiler in Grayson's place if we really wanted and, just like with Jason, we would get completely different story to what we are getting now.
    I was just agreeing with a post about how Jason could have done the spy thing very well because of his deeper connections to people in Spyral given what happened in INC. I think because of Jason's personality and willingness to use lethal force he would have adapted to Spyral a lot better than Dick and could struggle with getting corrupted more. New 52 Spoiler doesn't have any of her old connections so it wouldn't work with her in Spyral, but I get the comparison you were trying to make.

Astonishing Member

Let's not deny that you could tell a pretty decent story about Jason in Spyral. Because you could - you'd have a more direct link to the ending of Inc, you'd play with his reluctance to be a "good soldier" and distrust of authority rather than Dick's moralistic objections, and he'd probably have a useful set of pre-existing contacts.

I just don't think it would be as good.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Let's not deny that you could tell a pretty decent story about Jason in Spyral. Because you could - you'd have a more direct link to the ending of Inc, you'd play with his reluctance to be a "good soldier" and distrust of authority rather than Dick's moralistic objections, and he'd probably have a useful set of pre-existing contacts.

I just don't think it would be as good.
    Seeley and King could probably tell a decent story with Jason in place of Dick sure but I would find it an extremely dull one myself because Jason would "fit" into that lifestyle far to well. He's such a perfect fit for it in fact that I think it would detract from the story assuming that the premise for it remained the same and it would get extremely predictable pretty fast as well. His reluctance to be a "good soldier" and his natural distrust of authority would not be enough for me to buy the story and frankly corrupting someone who is already corrupted isn't that much of a story to begin with either.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-03-2015 at 02:31 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Seeley and King could probably tell a decent story with Jason in place of Dick sure but I would find it an extremely dull one myself because Jason would "fit" into that lifestyle far to well. He's such a perfect fit for it in fact that I think it would detract from the story assuming that the premise for it remained the same and it would get extremely predictable pretty fast as well. His reluctance to be a "good soldier" and his natural distrust of authority would not be enough for me to buy the story and frankly corrupting someone who is already corrupted isn't that much of a story to begin with either.
    What if Spyral's attempts to corrupt Jason would end up with him seeing the light and becoming a full on good guy?
    A negative x negative = positive type of thing

Jason might have head deeper connections through Inc. with people like The Hood but Kathy Kane, that's basically Dick's Batwoman. He knew her as the hero, Jason did not. It makes sense that Kathy would try to get Dick for the job for whatever she wants to do.
    The direction would have worked for any one in some kind of way and every character would have made something different out of it but I would never say any premise would have been better or lesser.

Getting captured by them does not really make for a deep connection.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-03-2015 at 05:16 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    What if Spyral's attempts to corrupt Jason would end up with him seeing the light and becoming a full on good guy?
    A negative x negative = positive type of thing
    I don't really see Jason becoming a "full on" good guy though. He's morally grey and I've no problem with that aspect of his character at all. That's precisely why I don't think having him in Dick's place would make for a better stories here. You'd have Jason whose morally grey in an agency that is likewise. There would be no conflicting ideologies there like there is with Dick being involved with them. Now they could get around that by creating other conflicts like Claude mentioned but I'm simply not convinced it would be as compelling of a read as Grayson currently is. That's just my opinion though.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I was just agreeing with a post about how Jason could have done the spy thing very well because of his deeper connections to people in Spyral given what happened in INC. I think because of Jason's personality and willingness to use lethal force he would have adapted to Spyral a lot better than Dick and could struggle with getting corrupted more. New 52 Spoiler doesn't have any of her old connections so it wouldn't work with her in Spyral, but I get the comparison you were trying to make.
    But thats what I'm saying. For example there was never a question of Dick getting corrupted, story is more about "can Dick have positive influence on Spyral and agents working there?", if we add Jason then yeah, obvious direction is about corruption. In the end we would have completely different directions.

I wouldn't be too hard on Higgins. He had editorial stomping all over NW every time he tried to go somewhere different at least as far as I could tell.

Grayson is good, but I do miss Nightwing with Dick in the jammies and everything, quite a lot really. I guess I just like superheroes more than spies. But I'm glad others are enjoying it so much as at least there's less chance of Dick being killed off for real.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass