Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

I'm ready for a Nightwing return.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I've always found Dick Grayson to be one of the blandest, least interesting characters in comics, even in his NTT days. (I stuck with Dixon's Nightwing for far too long because people said it was great.) Grayson is the first time I've ever been truly excited about the character. Even when Morrison had him replace Batman, the draw to the book was the creative teams and Damian. I'll stick with Grayson.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    What would he be doing as Nightwing that would be all that interesting? His solo title was often Batman-lite, and the character deserves better. Dick's always been more interesting when he isn't tied down to the Batman mythos after his Robin days.
    Being Nightwing didn't and never has held the character back, it's been the creative teams. I never had a problem with them but it seems like everyone else on the forums does.

If the current team was writing Nightwing everyone would be eating it up and talking about how great Nightwing is.

BANNED

Personally, I'm not seeing the big deal.

I like Dick Grayson. I'm not attached to the Robin, Nightwing, or Batman costumes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Being Nightwing didn't and never has held the character back, it's been the creative teams. I never had a problem with them but it seems like everyone else on the forums does.

If the current team was writing Nightwing everyone would be eating it up and talking about how great Nightwing is.
    We probably would be, but like you said that's down to the creative teams.

Hmmm, some people just wouldn't let go of the past and are very closed-minded about Dick Grayson's new direction are they?
    Still, I prefer to read many more issues of excitement and solid story-telling in Grayson than that boring, done-to-the-death, Gotham/Bludhaven/Chicago's Batman-lite.

I love Dick Grayson, regardless of the masks he (or he doesn't) wear.
    Last edited by Darkness Fatale; 08-26-2015 at 04:58 PM.

It was not Nightwing or the Creative teams that were in direct fault the what the IDEA of Nightwing became over time is what faulted him. There was a power struggle with Dick Grayson and the Teen Titans and Batman office and once the Batman office got control over him the Titans stuff kept getting pushed away and he became a senior member of the Batfamily.

I understand the demand for Nightwing but that mantle will never be as big as people hope for it to be. He is more popular/media appearances as Robin then as Nightwing where in media is shown either with the Teen Titans or as Batman's second in command. He best solo outing was him as Batman and Grayson is fast on track to be viewed in that same regard.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    It was not Nightwing or the Creative teams that were in direct fault the what the IDEA of Nightwing became over time is what faulted him. There was a power struggle with Dick Grayson and the Teen Titans and Batman office and once the Batman office got control over him the Titans stuff kept getting pushed away and he became a senior member of the Batfamily.

I understand the demand for Nightwing but that mantle will never be as big as people hope for it to be. He is more popular/media appearances as Robin then as Nightwing where in media is shown either with the Teen Titans or as Batman's second in command. He best solo outing was him as Batman and Grayson is fast on track to be viewed in that same regard.
    Do you honestly think Grayson will last? This isn't me attacking your opinion, I'm just generally curious how long everyone thinks this will last.

Amazing Member

I think the title will last, just not in the same setting. Eventually it'll move off the current structure with Dick being Agent 37 and evolve. I do think they have some long or medium term plan for at least around 40-50 issues though.

40 to 50 issues is at the least we could see Grayson which is a nice amount of issues to keep the same creative team. They are already at 14 including the future issues that have been announced so as long as the sales stay solid and the book maintains quality around this current level then a 50 issue run like they said they were planning is possible. RHATO and Catwoman have lesser sales but one recieved a soft reboot removing Starfire an Catwoman has received solid enough reviews to never get cancelled.

If Grayson is still getting good reviews by issue 40 then the status quo of him in the spy/espionage world would solidified
    Last edited by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy; 08-26-2015 at 06:20 PM.

penetrator of things

Dick Grayson is literally DC's best book. The stories they are writing have long term repercussions for the entire DCU, it'd be weird to see it go anytime soon.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Always Rakzo

To respond the OP: HELL TO THE FRIKKING NO!

Dick Grayson has never been this interesting. Not even when Morrison was writing him as Batman.

What Seeley, King and Janin are doing is nothing short of admirable. Combining worldbuilding with creativity, little stories with an overaching plot, characterization with evolution, style with substance, this title has everything and all of it is executed perfectly.

I'm sorry (not really) but I don't want Dick to be back to Nightwing ever again.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Do you honestly think Grayson will last? This isn't me attacking your opinion, I'm just generally curious how long everyone thinks this will last.
    I think it will last as long as King and/or Seeley stay on the book, plus six issues with a new creative team. That tends to be how these things go.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I think it will last as long as King and/or Seeley stay on the book, plus six issues with a new creative team. That tends to be how these things go.
    The good news is that both of them seem capable of pulling it off on their own. King in particular has impressed me, given his lack of major titles before this

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    Dick Grayson is literally DC's best book. The stories they are writing have long term repercussions for the entire DCU, it'd be weird to see it go anytime soon.
    That's a bit forward unless Snyder or Johns reference anything going on in Grayson you can pretty much say it pays lip service to the fans thinking its elevating Dick
    I mean at large the hero community is supposed to think he is dead. When that goes away is he supposed to just become the world's most recognizable spy?

The writing is top notch and definitely ranks #1 in regards to DCU but that's only going to help the book so much
    Its not like Nightwing was ever the best selling Bat title though for DC to pay attention to a book it needs to sell in spite of them giving no promotion like a Harley Quinn