Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Nope, Grayson is too good. Let the Nightwing mantle rest in piece, he's still the same guy either way. Just with a new name and in a new (better) ballpark

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    The first thing the Nightwing book did was try to convince the reader Bludhaven was like Gotham but DARKER but it was actually Gotham for babies. It wasn't until Slade turned it into a smoldering crater that it lived up to being more dangerous than Gotham.
    This is why I've never given a crap about Bludhaven.
    Slade and the Brotherhood of Evil dropping Chemo on it was like a meta joke saying "NTT era > Bludhaven era" and I applaud it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    7/15 dropped to just under 34k. I just wished people stopped acting like Grayson was some runaway hit.
    Well... when you consider how over-saturated the market is, 25k is really good.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

If I wanted stories about a street-level superhero with no powers, nothing but a few gadgets and their own wits, going up against various insane criminal masterminds in a fantastically corrupt city at night, having to use detective-skills and martial arts that they'd trained in for years from a true master, I'd really just rather read a Batman comic.

Favorite book, so nope.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Well... when you consider how over-saturated the market is, 25k is really good.
    My point exactly from earlier. The book is doing well given this and the price increase with no crossovers to drag it along.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is why I've never given a crap about Bludhaven.
    Slade and the Brotherhood of Evil dropping Chemo on it was like a meta joke saying "NTT era > Bludhaven era" and I applaud it.
    Bludhaven was built up extremely well throughout the Nightwing series. It was explained that in Gotham the crime started from the bottom and worked it's way up while in Bludhaven crime started from the mayor's office and worked it's way down.

I really loved the city and the reason it was destroyed was because Dick was supposed to die in Infinite Crisis.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Bludhaven was built up extremely well throughout the Nightwing series. It was explained that in Gotham the crime started from the bottom and worked it's way up while in Bludhaven crime started from the mayor's office and worked it's way down.

I really loved the city and the reason it was destroyed was because Dick was supposed to die in Infinite Crisis.
    Which doesn't make much sense because Gotham's corruption has always been from the top and worked its way down. Corrupt city officials, police and gangsters are the main reason the place is so screwed up, at least before the supervillains arrive on the scene. Bruce realizes this fairly early and tries to combat crime on multiple fronts, as Batman and by donating to social reform causes. From a writing perspective, it seems like a cheap way to establish Bludhaven by offering comparisons to Gotham, which was always going to be the more interesting city considering its history and the characters living in it.

They thankfully didn't kill Dick off in Infinite Crisis. So as it stands, the published version is amusing because I've heard that the Bat-office had been trying to distance Dick from the Titans era for some time, so here comes Slade to remind them that that wasn't a good idea.

Incredible Member

Grayson is better than the Nightwing solos ever were though

If it's sales you're worried about, then one crossover should bump it up 10k at least and ride that for a few months until another crossover hits.

Love that Grayson is getting so much love in this thread. Continues to be the best book at DC and extremely nice for him to get out of Gotham and have some adventures around the world. I think that is the best thing the book has going for it, can go anywhere they want not limited to a city and standard crime. It is extremely nice for Dick to get out and really step away from Batman, but still be on good terms with him. Hopefully he stays as a world traveling spy for a long long time, especially after the weak Nightwing run in the New 52. Between this and his run as Batman he is has been in some of the best books DC has put out over the last decade nice to see that trend continue.

Nighwing may be in Titans Hunt have not looked much into the book but the cover did show some Nightwing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I'm sorry, but the New 52 Nightwing was quite poor. Snyder's lackies just don't seem to be able to carry a book on their own.
    Nah, they could have carried it just fine if bloody Snyder didn't keep doing those silly events that mess up their pacing and stories.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Grayson is better than the Nightwing solos ever were though

If it's sales you're worried about, then one crossover should bump it up 10k at least and ride that for a few months until another crossover hits.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Grayson gets a bump in September (family reunion issue) and October (Batman & Robin Eternal, Titans Hunt).

I enjoyed the Court of Owls story with Nightwing, and I was sad that Higgins didn't do more with the concept. Higgins' run had its problems but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be here and it did sell very well, especially in trade.

Anyway, I don't think the Grayson series is nearly as perfect as others seem to think it is on these forums, it has its problems, but I don't want to see him go back to Nightwing. I'd rather see the Grayson thing play out more and see where they go with it. Nightwing in the New 52 is a concept that doesn't work right now. It's a result of the reboot. As Nightwing he has no direction or history so his character just feels aimless and that is probably why Higgins struggled to find a direction for the character.

I mean okay, if he goes back to Nightwing what do you want him to do? Just travel the world going on random heroic adventures? Jason already does that. Carve out his own place in Gotham to protect? He already tried that in the New 52 and Batgirl is doing that concept better right now. Form a Titans-esque team to lead? Tim is doing that. Go back to Bludhaven? He's so far removed from that now I don't think they can go back to it. He isn't going to become Batman, Robin, or join the Justice League so what exactly do you want him to do? He's limited with options right now.

I'm willing to at least see where the spy things leads, even if I don't think DC has the resources to do the spy thing well long-term. I mean all Dick really wants to do is help people, so the spy thing is at least a direction where he can do that full time. He doesn't really want to go to school, run a company, tend bar, or whatever. All he wants to do is be a hero and help people because he enjoys it. So being a spy is probably the best direction for his character since they decided to make him a cop in Bludhaven. Once they moved away from being a cop his character struggled with what to do outside the costume which I feel lead to so many changes in direction during his Nightwing run.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Nah, they could have carried it just fine if bloody Snyder didn't keep doing those silly events that mess up their pacing and stories.
    those silly events that mess up their pacing and stories what was keep the book selling like it did. I think Higgins did his best but Nightwing was beaten for his past the whole run and got nothing for his problems.

It was very depressing

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I enjoyed the Court of Owls story with Nightwing, and I was sad that Higgins didn't do more with the concept. Higgins' run had its problems but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be here and it did sell very well, especially in trade.
    Well that was the thing with Higgins run, it wasn't bad it just wasn't very good either. It was just middle of the road, with ups and downs. Which is kind of the worst thing for Nightwing because it will sell and leave them with little incentive for it to be anything more. So they'll let it just sit there and spin its wheels.

I wanted to like Higgins run, i really did, more then probably should have, but i just never found Higgins run to be satisfying. Higgins run as a whole had its moments sure, but ultimately it was trying to be something we have already seen before and what the character desperately needed was something we haven't seen before. Nightwing needed to feel new again. They should have been trying to give us a Nightwing 2.0 of sorts.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-25-2015 at 10:17 PM.