Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Grayson is better than the Nightwing solos ever were though

If it's sales you're worried about, then one crossover should bump it up 10k at least and ride that for a few months until another crossover hits.
    So 12 issues of Grayson is better than every single Nightwing issue ever printed? That's pretty impressive considering Grayson hasn't even been around for a year yet.
    Last edited by byrd156; 08-25-2015 at 10:05 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Seeing as how this is the best Dick Grayson has been since his time under the cowl I'd have to respectfully say 'no'. I don't want to see him return to spandex and a mask until someone at DC has a clear idea of what they want to do with him beyond having him play second fiddle to Batman. If they can return him to his former hero status quo without making him redundant and without connecting him at the hip to Batman I'd be all for that but I don't think they are ready to go back to that yet.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 08-25-2015 at 11:00 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Spectacular Member

I think the best thing to do with Nightwing is merge both, bring back the nightwing moniker, but keep the globe hopping aspects of Grayson. If not just ditch Nightwing lol

To be clear what they did with Grayson is exactly what they mean by Batgirling. But it was a direct result of a major crossover and when the fans are asked what the best books DC is publishing right now Grayson is on almost every list. So no, you are not getting your Nightwing back anytime soon.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm willing to at least see where the spy things leads, even if I don't think DC has the resources to do the spy thing well long-term. I mean all Dick really wants to do is help people, so the spy thing is at least a direction where he can do that full time.

Since the 9 page preview, I honestly think that once the Double Dick/Netz stuff is tied up, they'll move Spyral into position to protect superhero identities. Which would position Dick back into being an important piece in the DC universe and give him an opportunity to get his position back as someone with ties to all the heroes as well as being trusted by them. As well as building him a playground that no one else really has atm.

And then he could move between being Nightwing and being Agent 37 (even if all I think the difference between them is sartorial).

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    The books drop in numbers can also be balanced out by the price increase. The quality of Nightwing did not warrant a 3.99 price tag. To be honest with you I bought it every month hoping it woukd get better. The quality of Grayson can ask for 3.99 and people are paying. I would also like to point out that half of the NU52 Nightwing run was carried by crossovers with Batman. Grayson is doing the numbers it's doing without out any of that so far.
    That is really why I respect the book and people forget that the 33k was in July in which nearly every DC Comic lost more than 10% sales.

Everyone should see through solicitations that "Nightwing" won't be back anytime soon if ever. The only thing that could make a change is Eternal when it ends but even then they won't change his direction back. It's more likely that "Spyral" ends.

Personally I want more Grayson.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

But isn't Grayson just Dick doing what Tim was doing pre-52 in some cases. I"m not against the spy idea, I just think the whole way of getting him there could have been handled better. On top of that, even if they did bring him back into the fold, what then? If you have people happy that he's alive okay, but I won't be suprised if they blame him and Bruce over this whole situation. No doubt the book is good, but I can see where the OP is coming from too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    But isn't Grayson just Dick doing what Tim was doing pre-52 in some cases. I"m not against the spy idea, I just think the whole way of getting him there could have been handled better. On top of that, even if they did bring him back into the fold, what then? If you have people happy that he's alive okay, but I won't be suprised if they blame him and Bruce over this whole situation. No doubt the book is good, but I can see where the OP is coming from too.
    Tim was not a spy pre-52 in his solo and he wasn't a part of any spy organizations nor did he deal with any. He was,kind of dealing with threats more globally than city based but that's as far as the connection between the 2 goes. It's possible that their will be some drama over him faking his death. It's to be expected but it would more than likely be resolved quickly. I just don't see what going back to doing what he was doing as Nightwing before Grayson is doing to advance the character. If anything it would be a regression based on everything that has come out of Grayson and reading what is planned coming up in solicits. Dick Grayson hasn't been this intresting since he was Batman. They did not handle his back to KightwING well in the first place, it seemed like a demotion to be honest. This new direction for the character has opened a lot of potential for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    So 12 issues of Grayson is better than every single Nightwing issue ever printed? That's pretty impressive considering Grayson hasn't even been around for a year yet.
    Having just finished a re-read of every Nightwing issue ever printed, I'd have to say that yes, I do think that Grayson is better. With one exception: I think that Nightwing #25, with Chuck Dixon taking Dick and Tim on a blindfolded train hopping self examination of themselves and the people around them stands up to the Grayson run fairly well. But Grayson, for me, shows that level of insight into the character in pretty much every issue.

So I wouldn't want Nightwing as a title back, though I'd be fine with Dick slipping into the fingerstripes for the occasional mission that required him to act the superhero, in the same way he's donned other disguises throughout the run. It'd just be one that came more from the heart. Because one thing about Grayson: nobody ever forgets that he once was Nightwing. It's frequently acknowledged; it's just not where he is right now.

I don't want him to regress or turn back. And I want to read the current title for as long as its creative team are willing to write and draw it. When they move on, maybe then it'll be time to review Dick's status and give him a different direction, but as this week's issue shows, Seeley and King still have a lot more to say with regard to what he's doing now, and a lot more stories to tell. Years more, I hope.

As for sales, I note that Grayson is now higher in the top 100 than Batgirl, which started 3 months later so hasn't had as long for its numbers to drop from its issue #1 peak and also had the boost of a paperback/hardcover trade combo release which contained all issues to date, making it far easier for people to jump on board post-Convergence than Grayson's hardcover-only trade with only half the story. I'd still expect the two titles to run roughly in tandem circulation-wise, but that's interesting in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I wanted to like Higgins run, i really did, more then probably should have, but i just never found Higgins run to be satisfying. Higgins run as a whole had its moments sure, but ultimately it was trying to be something we have already seen before and what the character desperately needed was something we haven't seen before. Nightwing needed to feel new again. They should have been trying to give us a Nightwing 2.0 of sorts.
    Taken in small segments, in between each derailing crossover while Higgins was busy building a new world for Dick, again and again, I liked much of what he tried to do. But he was far too willing to be the good team player and sacrifice what he'd built for his own title to the crossover-in-progress, and he really needed to be a bit more selfish, for himself and also for Dick.

I wish he could have produced a Nightwing title at the level of The Gates of Gotham, but alas it wasn't to be.

Higgins was rock solid for the first 9 issues, and even tied into the Court of Owls organically. Then he kind of just phoned it in, until burning everything down for Death of the Family. The various fill-in writers (ugh, those Tom DeFalco issues were awful) and artists didn't help, either. Then he tried to get the ball rolling in Chicago a la Dixon, but it was too little too late. It's a shame that DC didn't get Dauterman on the title much earlier. That final issue (#29) with Higgins and Dauterman is right up there with the best of Nightwing.

Incredible Member

When Nightwing does return, I'd want to see something really different.

Like have Dick move to Japan or something.

Japanese schoolgirls chasing after Nightwing? With his long anime hair, he'll fit right in.

Grayson is an amazing book that really only just got started. I hope to see it around for many years!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Higgins was rock solid for the first 9 issues, and even tied into the Court of Owls organically. Then he kind of just phoned it in, until burning everything down for Death of the Family. The various fill-in writers (ugh, those Tom DeFalco issues were awful) and artists didn't help, either. Then he tried to get the ball rolling in Chicago a la Dixon, but it was too little too late. It's a shame that DC didn't get Dauterman on the title much earlier. That final issue (#29) with Higgins and Dauterman is right up there with the best of Nightwing.
    That one McCarthy drawn issue was cool stuff.

Should've had him do the whole run. Eddy Barrows is a good artist but he's just not suited to a character like Dick. And Dick's shocked face (you know the one) which appeared in just about every issue, may well be etched into my brain at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Well, not really that impressive given that no Nightwing comic has ever risen above maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10. There just seems to be a stunning lack of ambition with the character, as if a Nightwing comic's main goal is to be mediocre-to-decent. Higgins talked all this cool stuff about Dick being like the Prince of Gotham in interviews, none of which made its way into the book.

BANNED

Bleh, fans can keep this James Bond-wannabe. Some of you guys simply accept anything. I would rather have Nightwing back.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Bleh, fans can keep this James Bond-wannabe. Some of you guys simply accept anything. I would rather have Nightwing back.
    What would he be doing as Nightwing that would be all that interesting? His solo title was often Batman-lite, and the character deserves better. Dick's always been more interesting when he isn't tied down to the Batman mythos after his Robin days.