Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Grayson still lacks brand power
    we are heading into DC Films and dick grayson cant be apart of it in his current form
    Tbh, I think most comic readers would be able to parse that Grayson = Dick Grayson, while for non-comic readers Grayson has as much meaning as Nightwing. Marvel kick started their movie universe with a character that had little "brand power".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Well he might be pushing daisies in the films anyway. But if he's alive, it's not necessary for him to have a costumed identity. Just being the first Robin is enough.
    I'm hoping Scott Eastwood's mystery character in Suicide Squad is Agent 37.
    It occurs to me that Dick being presumed dead in the movie-verse is in no way an arguement against them using bits of "Grayson".

It's a much more cinematic idea than "Nightwing", anyway - which could make a cracking TV series but which I just wouldn't be sure of the point of a film version.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I prefer Nightwing. Just because his New 52 book sucked, doesn't mean a new creative team couldn't have worked (a la the excellent new Catwoman).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I prefer Nightwing. Just because his New 52 book sucked, doesn't mean a new creative team couldn't have worked (a la the excellent new Catwoman).
    But what's the difference between the change from Thief Catwoman to Mafia Catwoman and the change from Hero Nightwing to Undercover Spy Grayson?. Both do not have their normal jobs anymore and Dick got a name change. If King, Seeley and Janín would have gotten to write/draw Nightwing the only difference to the current thing would have been that it he would still be called Nightwing.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Kind of going off the topic here, and also going against the grain too....but I am not digging the new Catwoman direction. It's boring, and Dick Grayson is many things, but boring he is not. In any case, this is one of those situations where different directions work differently for readers. There are good points about Grayson, and there are good points about Nightwing. I'm with you in that I prefer Nightwing.

Im going with grayson because it let dick be his own thing but with nightwing his one of batmans many things.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerwing View Post
    Im going with grayson because it let dick be his own thing but with nightwing his one of batmans many things.
    Ya with this direction he is his own person with his own path soon to have his own mission by reading what the solicits are alluding to. It really seems like to me that he is not in Batman's shadow or Batman lite with this. He can carry the name Dick Grayson in much of the same way Nick Fury is Nick Fury and with time and character development it will hold weight.

I think at some point the next logical step will be to eventually bring Grayson and Nightwing together to make both feel like something new. I just don't think they are near that point. As someone who adores Nightwing, this i my problem with Nightwing right now. Its not that he's "Batman light", never been on that bandwagon, my problem is that they have copied the Nightwing formula too much with the other Bat characters. Which isn't an inherent problem with Nightwing, but its a problem that effects Nightwing nonetheless. They bastardize Nightwing, and then compound all the years of mediocre to just bad storytelling with Nightwing, and the lack of progression the character started to see as Nightwing, Nightwing stopped being what it was. So ya, i think its a good thing that Nightwing is "dead" right now. For both Dick and Nightwing.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-30-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Grayson is a great comic miles above Nightwing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    So 12 issues of Grayson is better than every single Nightwing issue ever printed? That's pretty impressive considering Grayson hasn't even been around for a year yet.

People have a habit of exaggerating on here. That's a little extreme.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    It's really not in my opinion. It had a few good moments. In totality it was average at best.Higgins wasn't bad but he wasn't a good writer either. It might be because he is more into film stuff I don't know but he is no where near as talented as Tim Seeley or Tom King.
    Last edited by OWL45; 08-30-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    Since DC has stopped 'batgirling' books, can I please get Nightwing back.
    At least ten years after I get Robin the Boy Wonder back.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Honestly, Nightwing has been like a lot of books, especially mid tier ones. It's had decent stories, okay stories, mediocre stories and stories that no one wants to even talk about because they were just so bad but it's nothing overly remarkable, at least to me. (The same thing applies to the creatives involved .) I was reading that book back in the day and have collected trades of the older runs (floppies too) and the thing is I can't really recall off the top of my head a single overly memorable story from that period and the ones that I do remember tend to be the ones that fall under the "so bad that no one wants to even remember them" category.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I like how the entirerty of the Dixon/McDaniel/Land (before he was hated by the fandom) run which ran for a while gets dismissed.

Nightwing was the kind of long running mid tier sucess story that DC books very rarely get. It might have even done better had the Bat offices let Waid
    Johns or any writer that was anywhere near being a fan favorite write the book.

Pretty much all I get from Nighwing's cancellation and DC's continuing treatment of Cassie Cain (among others) is that DC is more than willing to leave money on the table
    to prop up its chosen characters.

Dixon's run was fine, but this is the first time I'm genuinely excited about the character, even beyond the creative team (though yeah, they are a huge reason why I read Grayson).
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson