Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "Truth" Era ending sooner than planned?

Via BleedingCool:
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/...-and-potatoes/

First off, the idea that these experimental ideas haven't really worked out doesn't really bother me that much. I was just fine and dandy with the way things were going pre-Convergence, and if we're going to back to that mostly, as the sales would seem to indicate will be the plan, then I'm all for that. "Batgirling" is working for Batgirl and a few other titles, and that's great, but its not for everything.

That said, I don't know if this actually is going to spell the end of Truth any earlier than it already would have since to me, it seems to already be winding down on its own. To me the timetable has looked an awful lot like the new year would be when Superman went back in the suit, so I'm not really certain this experimentation phase getting the boot is really going to affect Superman that much despite him being a featured example in this article. Again, if anything just due to the timing working out that I think it was nearing its end anyway. Anywho, just wondering if you guys had any thoughts.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

A BIG disapointment for me if that's the case. I'm loving 'Truth', AC started and continues to be excellent, SM/WW started slow but the last 2 issues were great, Yang seems to be hitting his stride in Superman, BM/SM is the only one somewhat irregular but I'm looking forward to more adventures of Clark with Batman's cast like Jim and Barbara.

But as you said, it seems they'll let it wind down according to the original schedule.

I'm fine as long as the identity being public sticks for a while, as the article also assumes. That produces a lasting consequence which makes the ride worthwhile. But I always wanted him with his powers back and in a costume sooner than later anyway.

What's interesting though is that what this suggests to me as a whole for DC across the line, is that the initial New 52 approach was the more successful formula. For all the internet complaining about grim and gritty, 90s, or other disparaging adjectives, that's what was working best.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-25-2015 at 05:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'm not one to get up in arms about stuff like this, but the very idea that they basically said "stop being creative and go back to basic" fills me with absolute dread. I mean you bring writers and artist on to create and breath new life into an idea. You bring them in to get their views and ideas on the character. Obviously a creator must follow a bit of a mold, yes, but the really clever ones find a way to take that mold and package it as something new. They take risk, push buttons, and ask questions. They come in and understand that certain concepts in the characters myth mean something to the greater 3D tapestry that the reader has been experiencing it through and they mix and match it to produce a meaningful effect of some sort while making something new as a byproduct.

That's what Truth was doing. To be honest I wish they'd thought even more outside the box on this one while they had the chance. If you're gonna pull the rug out from under people then you might as well have a bunch of suits write the box and stop this farce--this playing at being more meaningful and invested in the characters and story.

More than likely I'll be done with DC mainstream if Pak and Kuder go (even if the rug is pulled out from them I still support their work). It'll only be special projects like the Morrison works coming soon, Max Landis' book, and a glimmer of hope for the genius idea of Multiversity Too. Pretty disappointed if this is all true.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-25-2015 at 06:00 PM.

I'd be more worried if the "basic" stuff in question was bad. But it wasn't, so I'm not worried. Its not like Superman needed this change in the first place. Action didn't get great because of this storyline, it was great before that. Superman has been teetering back and forth since this volume's inception and Truth thus far hasn't changed that; Batman/Superman was better before Convergence, and so was Superman/Wonder Woman. That's not to say those titles are bad right now, I'm enjoying them just fine now, but they were better prior to the move. If anything for me this is probably more good news than anything else, just so long as Pak and Kuder stay on Action. But I don't think there's any indication of a creative change on that book in the first place outside of paranoia.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-25-2015 at 05:25 PM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm fine as long as the identity being public sticks for a while, as the article also assumes. That produces a lasting consequence which makes the ride worthwhile. But I always wanted him with his powers back and in a costume sooner than later anyway.

What's interesting though is that what this suggests to me as a whole for DC across the line, is that the initial New 52 approach was the more successful formula. For all the internet complaining about grim and gritty, 90s, or other disparaging adjectives, that's what was working best.
    For all the Internet talks about being a direct voice from the audience, experience proves that it's not nearly as representative as its users think it is.
    Anyway, guess that sucks, although I'm sorta have to wonder to what extend this is actually going to be shorted, if at all. I mean, we all sort of assumed the powers and costume would be back in time for the new movie anyway. If you take into account that even if they do stop everything in its track as soon as they can, it's going to take several months (you know, between the editors being given the memo, getting a meeting with the writers, dealing with any possible fallout concerning the creative team, rewriting the scripts, having the artists draw it....) to put that new plan into motion.
    I find interesting that the article states they're willing to keep the exposed identity. Frankly, I wasn't expecting that to stick.
    EDIT: Although I have to add that I completely support Superlad in his assessement that the fact a bunch of suit guys just pulled the plug on their creators' creativity(aand it's not just about Superman, if the article is to be believed) is, well, somewhat infuriating. And that if Pak and Kuder leave, I'm most likely living as well (unless they really brought their A game when it comes to the next creative team).
    Last edited by Auguste Dupin; 08-25-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm really not sure this will have much affect on Superman plans. Also, for what it's worth, it's pretty unlikely that the current creators will be booted.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

While I like the idea of doing something different, and am not opposed to the basis of TRUTH, my feelings are after a couple of months that the story is already too bloated, too redundant, and not really aligning to the ultimate conclusion. I think part of that is the fact that it's been told out of sequence, but I think more so the writers knew what they wanted to do, but didn't know what to do once they got there.

I'm kind of glad to read this, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'd be more worried if the "basic" stuff in question was bad.
    Then why not just have the characters written by a board of directors? Before this change Pak and Kuder were doing quite well with this book but it was in danger of becoming very formulaic. Simply because this change over didn't yield the instant magic sales boost that DC and some fans (apparently) were aiming for doesn't mean it was the wrong move. We were all having literally the same conversation about the new 52 reboot a few years back. What we are potentially turning our backs on is an artist and writer giving us something we didn't even know we wanted. Over time from trial and error we could have seen Pak and co. Stumble on something truly great. Or we could have seen another team come on inspired by the new atmosphere to make something really great. I've had my reservations and my performances from the start but I'm always willing to be shown something I didn't know I wanted.

I'm not okay with the mandate of "be less creative".

Eh, I'll wait for a another website to announce this news before I believe it.

I'm not turning my back on anything. I'm enjoying this story and will continue to enjoy it until its done. I'm just not busted up over news/rumors of it inevitably ending. Pak and Kuder specifically were giving me what I wanted well before this idea. And it isn't like the idea in of itself came about from an inspired place. It was born from a mandate of its own. They had to change something, that was the order they were given from on high, and this is what they came up with. Its been fun, but personally I'd hardly call it stumbling on something that was some kind of revelation to the Superman mythos. That would be drastically overrating the idea. All in all this really changes nothing from the stance I always had (outside of the first few days of hating the look when it was first revealed). An interesting idea but one with a clearly limited shelf life. And I don't necessarily see the mandate as "be less creative". You don't have to make fundamental sweeping changes to be creative. You can, I'm not automatically opposed to change for the purposes of a storyline, or overall evolution of a mythos, but drastic changes aren't the only way to be creative, so that's rather a false equivalency.

And if the identity stays public for a while, probably the best idea to come out of the entire storyline, "Kentville", can still be played with.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-25-2015 at 07:31 PM.

@Sacred Knight

You're missing my point. I'm not saying that this one story line in particular is the groundbreaking next phase in the Superman myth. No. But the spirit and thinking behind it could have lead to that "next brilliant idea". The mandate of challenging writers to try their hardest to think outside of the box is as refreshing and forward thinking of a mandate that a big company like DC can give out. I don't think it's too far out of the way to say that it's equivalent to saying "be a little less creative". It's literally saying "think inside the box". If I'm not mistaken that's what "meat and potatoes" means. Make no mistake though I'm not saying this will stunt the quality of the products. I'm sure there are very clever people writing at DC who will find ways to show their respective visions regardless of the now back to basics characters. What I am saying is that it purposefully closes doors and roads to new uncharted waters with these characters. We now run the risk of getting mediocre versions of these big ideas since they now potentially lack the room to flourish as much as they could have. The changes made to these characters wouldn't even have to be as grand or sweeping as one may dread. They could have been gradual--small shifts that produce big ripples. The could have been reevaluations, retoolings, or hell even just a new kind of story told with the character. I mean what if they'd have came up with a new way of looking at the title of Action comics? Suppose they approached it with a more no conventional eye that chanced what we looked at as "Superman action". But with this "meat and potatoes" approach I doubt thinking like that will be as welcome.

To repeat, I'm not at all saying that this will stop really smart people from making really good stories that we can all enjoy. I'd just like DC to encouraging their creators to take their stuff up a notch.

Fair enough, I follow where you're coming from. I too hope this doesn't discourage more creative ideas for Superman of course.

Of course this all predicated on the idea that this story ends up true, its probably worth mentioning again that its not like this is 100% confirmed. I tend to trust BC on stuff like this, but that's still not a guarantee of accuracy.

YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!! If true

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'm really not sure this will have much affect on Superman plans. Also, for what it's worth, it's pretty unlikely that the current creators will be booted.
    I'm not afraid of them being booted, but them wanting to leave. At any rate this rumor is still only marginally applied to the Superman books.

Dabbling a little bit in the 'sales analysis', I'd say that DC had bad luck with the timing of DCYou. Secret Wars is a full reboot of the Marvel universe, isnt it? Their COIE? And then there's Star Wars. I mean, I love SW, I like Lando as a secondary character, but 2nd place with 190000 books sold? That quite simply blotted out any waves DCYou could have made normally, IMO.