Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I would find it hard to imagine anyone would want to leave just for having Superman go to his normal look and power set. I mean, that's what Pak and Kuder were doing (and excelling at), well before this anyway. And Superman's the one title that's set a bit in the past anyway so Yang's been working with just that set up to this point as well. There's really nothing to indicate anymore that this idea was the baby of any one guy or creative team set that might upset them to see it end to the point of wanting to leave. It probably would have never came about if DC hadn't mandated changing stuff up for the DCYou initiative in the first place. Thus its hard to see anyone being particularly married to the idea now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

They could be upset at the idea of not having as much freedom as before. Pak, Kuder, and Yang could have grown fond of the idea of being able to push the concept into new territory. The prospect of going back to formula may not seem as fun to write now? Pak's over at Marvel with a new Hulk book with an all new Hulk to work with.

On another note it really is unfortunate that DC did this DCYOU push now of all times. I mean the epic first reboot of Marvel done in one of the best comics I've seen in some time, and Star Wars coming back in a big bad way. Marvel might be looking a bit more enticing if in fact Pak is really looking to tell some more out of the box stuff. But we obviously don't know that or anything right now.

Anything's possible, but I'm waiting for confirmation on this story first, and even then I'd have to hear something else of substance to make me worry about anyone leaving. I'm not going to freak myself out over nothing yet though on the creative team end.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-25-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

glad to know this, the storyline is awful and treats lois lane horribly.

good that the secret identity will be mostly downplayed overtime, like what happens with daredevil.

if the dark and grtty worked, DCyou would never happen

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I'm enjoying "Truth", and wouldn't be disappointed to see the concepts played with for a year or so.

I personally don't think the Superman titles were "Batgirled"; that distinction belongs with books like Batgirl (duh), Black Canary, Gotham Academy, Doctor Fate, Starfire...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'm enjoying "Truth", and wouldn't be disappointed to see the concepts played with for a year or so.

I personally don't think the Superman titles were "Batgirled"; that distinction belongs with books like Batgirl (duh), Black Canary, Gotham Academy, Doctor Fate, Starfire...
    I suppose that's their way to say "change the costumes and the basic status quo". But yeah, that's a weird way to put it.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm fine as long as the identity being public sticks for a while, as the article also assumes. That produces a lasting consequence which makes the ride worthwhile. But I always wanted him with his powers back and in a costume sooner than later anyway.

What's interesting though is that what this suggests to me as a whole for DC across the line, is that the initial New 52 approach was the more successful formula. For all the internet complaining about grim and gritty, 90s, or other disparaging adjectives, that's what was working best.
    I agree. I do hope that DC doesn't retcon this before really exploring it. I'd like to see how Superman functions in a world where his identity is exposed. Can he function having no civilian life? That's a story that hasn't really been told before. I'd like for DC to tell that story more than tell a story about him being under-powered. The way he is right now just makes him too much like Batman, brooding and grim all the time. It's had some nice moments, but it's getting old. I'd like to see Superman build a new life once he gets his powers back. But I'm not sure DC is going to let that story be told.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Isn't Truth supposed to end soon anyway, wasn't Supes back in his regular get up for one of the upcoming Action Comics issues?
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

I've been enjoying the TRUTH concept, but it just seems since Convergence/Doom/whateverthehellelse, things have been hard to follow, but that just seems to be DC's norm anymore. It's been years where it's been like this. Between top talent leaving; announcing a major storyline; backpedaling on that storyline; continuity issue's arising; creative teams changing at a constant and cross-over event after cross-over event ending in the most dull ways possible, it seems the weight of the DC books over this most recent time period is nothing but flat. I've been jumping on and off recently and just caught up with Truth. I still have about 4 more books to read and I enjoy the concept but you can just tell this thing lacks direction. I hope DC get their s%@t together. I'm sick of being forced to jump off here and there, only to be interested in a potentially doomed storyline, jump back on only to find myself not knowing what's going on and nothing really explained anyhow.

At this point, I want something SOLID. A great, creative, ambitious and visual read from beginning to end. I may ax monthly reads altogether and just invest in trades and graphic novels. Though, Max Landis's new story gives me hope to enjoy something creative, fresh and enjoyable the entire way through a specific run.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Isn't Truth supposed to end soon anyway, wasn't Supes back in his regular get up for one of the upcoming Action Comics issues?
    I think its ending soon regardless, but that's just my impression from solicits, nothing 100% confirmed there by any stretch. There is a cover of an upcoming issue of Action of Superman in the suit, but its one of those covers that combine with others into one large image, and it turns out its just a collection of different images, superman in his suit, Superman in the shirt and jeans, WW and Bat-Gordon in the backdrop of the Fleischer S. The latest Superman solicit also had a picture on the cover of Superman in his costume, but this was revealed to just be a placeholder, it was actually just a panel from today's issue.

Spectacular Member Virile Agitur's Avatar

instead of reposting it all....
    i'll just say "yep" to everything superlad has said in this thread.

The concepts from Truth don't have to be abandoned and definitely can be explored for awhile on the secret identity front. I just think Superman needs his powers and suit back and look like Superman. Doing that will appease fans without derailing the identity story.

I have been enjoying Truth because of the identity aspect but having him without powers has been the weakest aspect and is not needed to explore the other part, the main part of the story.

That last sentence is straight out of Bizarro world. Who in their right mind has ever thought of super hero comic book readers as progressive and readily embracing change?!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm not one to get up in arms about stuff like this, but the very idea that they basically said "stop being creative and go back to basic" fills me with absolute dread. I mean you bring writers and artist on to create and breath new life into an idea. You bring them in to get their views and ideas on the character. Obviously a creator must follow a bit of a mold, yes, but the really clever ones find a way to take that mold and package it as something new. They take risk, push buttons, and ask questions. They come in and understand that certain concepts in the characters myth mean something to the greater 3D tapestry that the reader has been experiencing it through and they mix and match it to produce a meaningful effect of some sort while making something new as a byproduct.
    Exactly.

If this is true, and it likely is, then DC just wants their creative teams to go through the motions. I find it ludicrous that people are actually glad that DC is basically telling their talent to stop being creative.

Even if I wasn't a fan of Truth, I wouldn't want it abandoned on the basis of DC stifling creativity.

I didn't see the pre-Convergence lineup as "just going through the motions". If that's all they're going back to, then that's exactly why I don't care and would probably prefer it. I don't really get what's so hard to understand about that. Its just differing tastes is all. In terms of sales, it just seems happenstance that the format I liked best is the one that was working best overall. The "Didio format" was selling better. I know that really sticks in the craw of some internet circles, but what can I say, the numbers don't lie.